Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Ecodiesel with new turbo pump- No fuel at injection lines  (Read 14338 times)

June 02, 2014, 09:23:27 pm

Diesel_Zuk

• Junior

Ecodiesel with new turbo pump- No fuel at injection lines
« on: June 02, 2014, 09:23:27 pm »
I just put a turbo pump on my ecodiesel. I primed the pump, and the fuel solenoid is on. I have it drawing diesel through a can right now. It will draw fine, and spit it back out the return just fine, but I cannot get any fuel through the injector lines. Will the pump still cycle and draw and return if the solenoid is not working? That is my next place to check.

Reply #1June 02, 2014, 10:29:26 pm

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
Re: Ecodiesel with new turbo pump- No fuel at injection lines
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 10:29:26 pm »
Yup. The solenoid just lets it get to the high pressure section and hardlines.

The solenoid's plunger can be removed for testing, but if the lines & injectors are hooked up, a running engine will need to be stalled or asphyxiated.

Reply #2June 02, 2014, 10:40:29 pm

Diesel_Zuk

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 10:40:29 pm »
Yup. The solenoid just lets it get to the high pressure section and hardlines.

The solenoid's plunger can be removed for testing, but if the lines & injectors are hooked up, a running engine will need to be stalled or asphyxiated.
I see I see.....I can hear the solenoid clicking when I test it. Is it possible the plunger is failing to open or something? I'm thinking about pulling solenoids, and swapping it with the solenoid off my old pump, that I know worked.

Reply #3June 02, 2014, 11:08:22 pm

Diesel_Zuk

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 11:08:22 pm »
Is it possible that the solenoid will click, but can still be faulty? I am going to take it out tomorrow night and check to see if maybe the plunger is bad or something. I need this car driving ASAP though, I am leaving for KC thursday evening, and the only time off I have to work on it next is wednesday night.

Reply #4June 02, 2014, 11:14:11 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 11:14:11 pm »
There is that possibility.  But you may have check valve problems at the rear of the pump as well.  You don't say if this pump was shelved or sitting for awhile.  And yes you may have a plunger problem or the little washer way up front of the high pressure pump may not be in place.  Stuck collar on the pump shaft has been a sticky problem for many here as well.  If you really have to be on the road Thurs.  I would plan to spend a good bit of time rebuilding the pump.

But that would be me. 

Reply #5June 02, 2014, 11:56:51 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
Re:
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 11:56:51 pm »
I would never personally open up a pump unless there was no other option.

Are you sure there is no air in the pump? The high pressure fill is high up in the pump.

Cutoff solenoid would be the next test if you are confident that the air is purged.

If that fails you can try a hail Mary pass and fill the pump with ATF then let it sit for a day. The detergent in the ATF will dissolve a lot of potential problems.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #6June 03, 2014, 12:08:11 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 12:08:11 am »
you could pull the guts out of the solenoid and run it. You have to kill the engine by full brake and letting the clutch out in gear OR starving it for fuel or air. Clutch method is easiest. The pump will run if no solenoid is there, but it will leak like crazy.

Reply #7June 03, 2014, 12:10:24 am

Diesel_Zuk

• Junior

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 12:10:24 am »
I just bought this pump from 8v-of-fury!. I have no idea what the history of it is. I bought it as a resealed pump, and got the turbo lines too since the eco lines are different. I really hope it is just the solenoid.

Reply #8June 03, 2014, 12:12:02 am

Diesel_Zuk

• Junior

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 12:12:02 am »
There is that possibility.  But you may have check valve problems at the rear of the pump as well.  You don't say if this pump was shelved or sitting for awhile.  And yes you may have a plunger problem or the little washer way up front of the high pressure pump may not be in place.  Stuck collar on the pump shaft has been a sticky problem for many here as well.  If you really have to be on the road Thurs.  I would plan to spend a good bit of time rebuilding the pump.

But that would be me. 
I don't have to take it, I just really wanted to. What do you mean by stuck collar on the pump shaft?

Reply #9June 03, 2014, 12:12:42 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 12:12:42 am »
Then I would ask the pump repairer's advice as he has history with it

Reply #10June 03, 2014, 12:57:08 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 12:57:08 am »
Diesel-Zuk,  There is that small spill collar that slides to and fro on the front end of the HI pressure pump shaft.  If it is stuck to the spill side of the shaft then no pressure gets produced.  It is that piece that the little tiny nub that is on the back end of the piece that the governor hooks up to.  My brain in failing me here.  Plenty of pics on the sticky on the home page.  Recent link to VE Bosh page too that has pictures of the entire pump.  Have you copied that one to your computer drive yet?

Nothing like having a reference copy next to the pump when working on it. 

Reply #11June 03, 2014, 01:06:28 am

Diesel_Zuk

• Junior

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 01:06:28 am »
Diesel-Zuk,  There is that small spill collar that slides to and fro on the front end of the HI pressure pump shaft.  If it is stuck to the spill side of the shaft then no pressure gets produced.  It is that piece that the little tiny nub that is on the back end of the piece that the governor hooks up to.  My brain in failing me here.  Plenty of pics on the sticky on the home page.  Recent link to VE Bosh page too that has pictures of the entire pump.  Have you copied that one to your computer drive yet?

Nothing like having a reference copy next to the pump when working on it. 
I honestly don't feel like opening up the IP, it just seems like too much work to me.

Then I would ask the pump repairer's advice as he has history with it
I already did. I really really hope it is just a problem with the fuel solenoid. He is in Canada, and to ship back and forth would cost a small fortune.

Reply #12June 03, 2014, 07:05:34 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 07:05:34 pm »
 So it's pulling fuel from the tank but not delivering it to the hard lines?
 How long did you crank?
 It can take some time for the lines to fill.
 Once upon a time, I heard someone had a problem with the stop solenoid working,.. until he hit the starter. So make sure it has 12 volts consistantly.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #13June 03, 2014, 11:57:29 pm

Diesel_Zuk

• Junior

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 11:57:29 pm »
I unscrewed one of the outlets on the pump that houses the check valve almost all the way. Then I took the nut off, and cranked it over. It is indeed spraying fuel out. Tomorrow, I will crack the lines at the injectors, and at the back of the pump, and see if I can't get fuel to the injectors.

Reply #14June 04, 2014, 12:31:41 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2014, 12:31:41 am »
give it a tow start