S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Building AAZ motor; meet Harley  (Read 66978 times)

Reply #30March 04, 2012, 03:18:10 am

CrazyAndy

• Veteran

Re: Building AAZ; some help with it's direction?
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2012, 03:18:10 am »
Sounds fine, but I'm running cable clutch on this setup just for ease of install and TBH after owning 3 cable clutch cars and driving all the new VW hydro clutch cars I'm a bit of a cable snob.  I'll def take that starter.  You sure that used clutch/pressure plate will take up to 275 ft/lbs?

So yeah, just PM me w/ exact date/time when u know.

Reply #31May 31, 2012, 09:51:41 pm

CrazyAndy

• Veteran

Building AAZ motor
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2012, 09:51:41 pm »
Sorry to DP from like 3 months forward, but here's my status:

Okay I said that my next posts would have the parts in a more assembled manner.  The next few pics will prove that was ony a half-truth. :P

Finally picked up CRSMP5's trans!  And got a toaster ride.  8)

Also got another head (thanks Catlin_Cava), but it needs milling due to pitting around the water jackets.

You don't see the crank or intermediate shaft in here because the crank nose needs more work (dude cut the notch a little too much and I'm making him re-do it)  and the IS is getting it's journals polished.

And to top it all off, a nice man named Giles called me; something about a pump and injectors being ready!  ;)

ALso, the K24 was sent off for rebuilding to Blaast Performance; it's some place in France called Quebec.    :P

Thought I'd say thanks for all the recommendations from you guys; the majority of the parts I picked up have been from a lot of others' suggestions and recommendations.  Thank you, It really does help.

This is starting to feel like the recent Avengers movie; I'm just assembling a larger team.  Hopefully my action scenes last a long time after this!   :D  

Not gonna set any more deadlines; down to a post-for-progress pace.

That's it for now.
CrazyAndy, out!

P.S.: Anyone got 0.717 gears layin' around?

P.S.: Isspro EGT gauge + micro1000 sensor = different type of wire ends.  Help plz?

Reply #32May 31, 2012, 10:35:55 pm

Powered by Spearco

• Veteran

Re: Building AAZ motor
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2012, 10:35:55 pm »
That shifter rod linkage is the same setup I got on my truck. It works great. Just take your time and set them up with all new bushings and grease.
'87 Syncro Transporter Single Cab "Now TDI"
'78 Rabbit..Gas Weekend Racer
'81 Caddy..Diesel 1.6/1.9 TD hybrid 275HP 349TQ "Retired"
'90 MultiVan, 2.5 Suby Swap, Porsche Brakes
'76 Scirocco TD dragster project
'13 Golf R:. Tuned
'98 Puch G320

Reply #33May 31, 2012, 10:43:08 pm

CrazyAndy

• Veteran

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2012, 10:43:08 pm »
Great to know somebody else has the Claus Von Essen linkage besides Alesowbugged.  Did you have to do a lot of finagling, or did you just eyeball the shifter into 1st, set the trans in the same gear, and fiddle w/ the rods?  I know the only non-opposite threaded rod is the S rod but still.  I will get a new shifter bushing kit.  What about the grease, would Wurth HHS-K spray-on grease be good? That's what we use at the dealership, and it helps bring creaky doors back to the quiet side.

Reply #34May 31, 2012, 10:53:21 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2012, 10:53:21 pm »
I have the missing linkz and it looks very similar. As for grease, I used what was in my grease gun, and I actually re did it the end of the first year.

The dealer may no longer have the tool, but there is a tool that holds the shifter in place and lets you put everything back in order. I marked mine and had to fight in and out of the car 4,053 times. Someone I think Libby, has a Cad or PDF of the tool. Someone said my old cassette tapes would work as a spacer, but I never figured that one out.

Reply #35May 31, 2012, 11:08:34 pm

CrazyAndy

• Veteran

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2012, 11:08:34 pm »
I think you're thinking of a MK2 with that setup, dude.  I guess I should have specified that this will be going into a 1981 Rabbit.   I know the tool you mean, though; piece of metal with a notch that fits over a piece of the MK2 shifter box.  My Bentley for the MK3 Jetta the engine came out of has the tool number in there, I think.

Reply #36May 31, 2012, 11:11:18 pm

Powered by Spearco

• Veteran

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2012, 11:11:18 pm »
In the book it says to use a 15mm bolt between the shifter and the lockout tab on the box. Then loosen the lever from the shaft just enough to move the lever freely, then tighten it down. Thats what I do for MK1's, work every time.

Is that rod linkage the kit from Germany? Green Grass Hopper Drag car?
Anyway, thats the kit I'm using.

I threaded all the end to the middle portion of the rods. I just started there. But once you get the bronze bushings in, you can unthread the rods to take up any left over slop and it will feel great! Not tight but just right. Sorry, kinda gross.  ::)
'87 Syncro Transporter Single Cab "Now TDI"
'78 Rabbit..Gas Weekend Racer
'81 Caddy..Diesel 1.6/1.9 TD hybrid 275HP 349TQ "Retired"
'90 MultiVan, 2.5 Suby Swap, Porsche Brakes
'76 Scirocco TD dragster project
'13 Golf R:. Tuned
'98 Puch G320

Reply #37June 04, 2012, 06:58:14 pm

CrazyAndy

• Veteran

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2012, 06:58:14 pm »
OKay, so I'm starting to think that customs might be doing an interrogation session on my ol' muhammad-bin-K24 that I sent in the mail to Canada for rebuild.  Been over 3 weeks and no peep from the recipient.  Starting to piss me off, but my fevered brow was soothed by the sight of this coming in the mail:

Aw yeah, you know what it is!  Giles pump and injectors!   WOOOOO!

If only he hung one of his shop rebuild cards on the pump; I'd leave it on for bragging rights at VW meets.  8)

Welp that's it for now.  Later!

Reply #38June 04, 2012, 11:00:25 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2012, 11:00:25 pm »
http://www.xsboostturbochargers.com/  with 152 down i put link here too... as you can see webpage sux... why i drove 300 miles to check them out.. 75 miles each way 2x... well worth phone call... nice facility wit proper tools... 90% of his business is out of country too... :P when in old place guy that lived 3 houses away was told on some canadian forum to check him out... LOL.. did not know of place... LOL.. 3 houses away... LOL..

when  bigger turbo on mine..  think l let hm redo it 1st... the vnt he did for me still working great.. looked new too...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 11:11:52 pm by CRSMP5 »

Reply #39June 12, 2012, 09:27:40 pm

CrazyAndy

• Veteran

« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2012, 09:27:40 pm »
Not engine progress, but old engine is out as of this weekend!  Literally dropped it out of the bay and pulled it out of the D/S wheel well.  Took 5 hours, 3 dudes, and a lot of pre-disassembly and finagling due to us finding out out engine stand we just bought had parts missing.

That's me in the engine bay.

Reply #40June 17, 2012, 09:42:20 am

ROBZUK

« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2012, 09:42:20 am »
OKay, so I'm starting to think that customs might be doing an interrogation session on my ol' muhammad-bin-K24 that I sent in the mail to Canada for rebuild.  Been over 3 weeks and no peep from the recipient.  Starting to piss me off, but my fevered brow was soothed by the sight of this coming in the mail:

Could be worse, back in the late 90's I was parting out and selling Suzuki Samurais. The Canadian post thought a starter with the wiring was a bomb. They took it out and destroyed it so I only sell in the US now. :mad:

Reply #41June 23, 2012, 10:05:53 pm

CrazyAndy

• Veteran

« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2012, 10:05:53 pm »

Could be worse, back in the late 90's I was parting out and selling Suzuki Samurais. The Canadian post thought a starter with the wiring was a bomb. They took it out and destroyed it so I only sell in the US now. :mad:

While yes, I admit it was my fault for losing the tracking info, I honestly think international customs has a bug up their ass.

Now on to the progress.  No crank yet but finally, my engine block is in paint!

Painted with Rust Bullet.  Two coats on the back and one wetter, as-of-yet still tacky coat on the front.

And before you sods get the wrong impression and think my engine block is a hipster, forget it; the bottle was used to prop the side being painted upwards for better visibility and less chance of paint runs, and the dull fake Italian switchblade was used in cleaning the painters tape off the block.  They just found their way into the photo.  :P

Reply #42June 25, 2012, 12:50:42 pm

slowcaddydan

• User+

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2012, 12:50:42 pm »
it looks like you're starting to get some rust on the inside of your cylinder walls.  i'd smear some oil on those surfaces pronto! (don't ask how i know)

Reply #43June 25, 2012, 11:08:26 pm

flowmastergfunk

• Junior

« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2012, 11:08:26 pm »
first time I have ever seen a bare AAZ block. I love that it has the little centering pins for the gasket and head. Nice little feature for those that don't have head studs. I can't  wait to see it all go together!

Reply #44June 25, 2012, 11:36:43 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2012, 11:36:43 pm »
PRetty sure the gas 1.7, 1.8 and diesel early 1.6 and later 1.6 had the dowels for gasket and head alignment too. Atleast my 91 1.6 D had them, and my gf's 90 1.8 Gas had them.. lol

Fixmyvw.com