S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Building AAZ motor; meet Harley  (Read 67100 times)

Reply #90May 19, 2013, 10:52:54 pm

CrazyAndy

• Veteran

Re: Building AAZ motor
« Reply #90 on: May 19, 2013, 10:52:54 pm »
Cool thx.

But srsly anyone got AAZ dipstick tube.

Reply #91May 19, 2013, 11:09:37 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #91 on: May 19, 2013, 11:09:37 pm »
WELL THEN, that attitude ain't gonna get you no help haha.

Srsly, I don't got one though. lol

Reply #92May 20, 2013, 10:39:27 pm

Gizmoman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    AAZ 1.9, HE 200 Turbo, 82 Vanagon, AAP 5 speed
« Reply #92 on: May 20, 2013, 10:39:27 pm »
I'm not exactly clear on what you mean about a dipstick tube. I may have tossed the one I cut off into the box of "spares". I cut it off about two inches from the block, tapped it and threaded a bolt onto it. I tried to figure out a more tactful way of removing it with no luck.
My Vanagon application uses the chingus attached to the pan and the stock tube just takes up space.

Would it be any good to you?
Jim W - 82 Vanagon Westy - AAZ 1.9, Mild head port, Cummins Holset HE200WE turbo, Frozen Boost WAIC, 10" Charge-pipe intake, Ball bearing IM shaft, Giles Pump, 215/70R16, AAP 5 speed Trans. 22 lbs max boost

Reply #93May 22, 2013, 10:39:38 pm

CrazyAndy

• Veteran

« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2013, 10:39:38 pm »
I'm not exactly clear on what you mean about a dipstick tube. I may have tossed the one I cut off into the box of "spares". I cut it off about two inches from the block, tapped it and threaded a bolt onto it. I tried to figure out a more tactful way of removing it with no luck.
My Vanagon application uses the chingus attached to the pan and the stock tube just takes up space.

Nah, but thanks for the offer; I'll just fish one out of the never-ending VW parts warehouse that is New Jersey.  NO I'm not kidding; NJ is where all the weird, hard-to-find, and not-for-US-market parts seem to be held, at least by what my work's parts department's computer says. I've pulled about 65% of VW original dealership parts from the Joisey warehouse, all with only 2-3 days delivery max.  I pulled a damn near-complete 02A Eurovan cable clutch conversion out of there!  I guess the lesson is this:  When the apocalypse hits, the AAZ's will STILL go to the Garden State for parts!

Reply #94May 22, 2013, 11:45:58 pm

Gizmoman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #94 on: May 22, 2013, 11:45:58 pm »

Nah, but thanks for the offer; I'll just fish one out of the never-ending VW parts warehouse that is New Jersey.  NO I'm not kidding; NJ is where all the weird, hard-to-find, and not-for-US-market parts seem to be held, at least by what my work's parts department's computer says. I've pulled about 65% of VW original dealership parts from the Joisey warehouse, all with only 2-3 days delivery max.  I pulled a damn near-complete 02A Eurovan cable clutch conversion out of there!  I guess the lesson is this:  When the apocalypse hits, the AAZ's will STILL go to the Garden State for parts!
Do you have a post apocalypse number where you can be reached? I plan on heading that way in the van if that's where the spares are. Wish I coud have figured out how to remove the one I had from the block - hated cutting it off.
Jim W - 82 Vanagon Westy - AAZ 1.9, Mild head port, Cummins Holset HE200WE turbo, Frozen Boost WAIC, 10" Charge-pipe intake, Ball bearing IM shaft, Giles Pump, 215/70R16, AAP 5 speed Trans. 22 lbs max boost

Reply #95May 23, 2013, 04:03:56 am

CRSMP5

« Reply #95 on: May 23, 2013, 04:03:56 am »
hit w hammer a wooden/steel dowl from inside the oil pan.. how i do it...

Reply #96May 23, 2013, 05:21:58 am

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #96 on: May 23, 2013, 05:21:58 am »

How much do you like fishing? id like one of those for future use.
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent
Need a car transported a long distance? Pm me for details.

Reply #97May 23, 2013, 08:53:34 am

Gizmoman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #97 on: May 23, 2013, 08:53:34 am »
. . .

[/quote]
Are you asking for the one I cut off or the hundreds supposedly in Jersy?

Reply #98May 23, 2013, 09:43:59 am

CrazyAndy

• Veteran

« Reply #98 on: May 23, 2013, 09:43:59 am »

Dudes, just lemme know and I'll bug the part guys to see what's where!

Reply #99June 01, 2013, 02:18:52 pm

CrazyAndy

• Veteran

« Reply #99 on: June 01, 2013, 02:18:52 pm »
And yet again I find myself saying a much-deserved thank you to Lucas and Chris, this time for getting me my rebuilt turbo back.  Just arrived today, and I'm happy to say she's just big enough to get me in trouble!  ;)

Lookit that big wheel!

The last pic shows the leftovers of the 50 trim swap; the housing, the boost signal lines, and the various washers and fasteners.  They are up for sale if anyone wants them.  Just PM me and we can talk about what you need.

In other news, I was able to get at least one piston in the block for HG mock-up . . . only to realize I didn't have anything even close to an accurate measuring instrument to check protrusion distance.  D'oh!  Well, add magnetic base dial indicator to the list of stuff I need.

That's really all right now.  Again, thanks to Lucas(theman53)  and Chris(CRSMP5) fro their much appreciated halp in getting my turbo rebuilt and upgraded; I literally couldn't have done it any better without you guys.

CarzyAndy, out!

Reply #100June 01, 2013, 02:29:00 pm

Gizmoman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #100 on: June 01, 2013, 02:29:00 pm »
That is one honkin turbo! I spoze you have a super pump to feed it fuel and studs to keep the head under the hood?

What kind of boost numbers are you targeting?

Reply #101June 01, 2013, 02:45:31 pm

CrazyAndy

• Veteran

« Reply #101 on: June 01, 2013, 02:45:31 pm »
That is one honkin turbo! I spoze you have a super pump to feed it fuel and studs to keep the head under the hood?

What kind of boost numbers are you targeting?

Studs, Giles pump, 25 PSI minimum!

Reply #102June 01, 2013, 04:52:57 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #102 on: June 01, 2013, 04:52:57 pm »
hey mike.. i left the 3 volvo turbos with lucas to figure out.. but think i got complete volvo set up like yours.. side by side identuical.. thinking of mocking it up with custom manifold for jackrabbit..

but if giz's old hg, the head ive been waiting on.. i may dump proto engine in my 84 coupe and tow it to madness so i got 2 cars there.. 1 freeken engine set up in na.. and toaster to pull it.. my tow bar set up on jackrabbit fits my coupe...

fyi ive been collecting my "freeken" engine parts for maybe 3 mo... still 0 in out of pocket.. damb exhaust manifold gaskets and injector heatshields will be engine costs... still wonder if it will run.. and if so how well.. but im telling you now.. if my red coupe shows up there.. and you borrow/rent a car... you got no excuse... and cannot drive 2.. so why i pullin one.. toaster gotta go.. jackrabbit be nice.. but runnin proto idi in my 84 coupe.. just little sweeter then jackrabbit...

Reply #103June 01, 2013, 08:57:44 pm

CrazyAndy

• Veteran

« Reply #103 on: June 01, 2013, 08:57:44 pm »
We'll see, Chris; right now things are a little ambiguous.  I'll still drive the bus if I can't do the rabbit,

And I actually have a question for the masses: If these pistons measure over 1.02 mm, the max spec for AAZ protrusion, couldn't I use a IZ/AHU head gasket gasket, which can be had in thicknesses from 0.91 mm all the way up to 1.2 mm?  IDK, maybe there's something I'm missing, but it seems to me like it wouldn't be a problem, unless IDIs and TDIs have different clearances between the heads and pistons.

Just asking.

Reply #104June 01, 2013, 09:19:27 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #104 on: June 01, 2013, 09:19:27 pm »
tdi = no precup...

just use the 3notch.. how 1.6 is over the 1mm point i think..