S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: the hillfolk tdi-m returns,but i need some turbo help  (Read 29868 times)

Reply #45July 10, 2007, 11:30:53 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

the hillfolk tdi-m returns,but i need some turbo help
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2007, 11:30:53 pm »
i could probably have it runnin with the merc turbo tomorrow
i gotta rig up some compressor plumbing though
still have to:
install lower timing cover,pulleys/belt,and splash shield
cut exhaust downpipe (holset)flange off  the 3 inch to reuse on the merc flange
air filter
boost control lines,boost guage/lda  line hookup
ill probably have it roadworthy by thurs,hopefully no later than friday
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #46July 11, 2007, 04:09:00 am

zaprzal

• Junior

• turbodiesel.pl
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2007, 04:09:00 am »
Quote from: "RabbitGTDguy"
Hmm...can't remember the saab turbos specs... were they a .63 hot side? and a .42 50trim cold side. I've seen some "upgraded" 900 turbos...but i think most stockers had our .42 compressor already with the much more gasser friendly .63 hot side...Joe

I compared it to saab cold side and saab was bigger, but I don't know what a/r, trim

i could probably have it runnin with the merc turbo tomorrow

this one with 0,42 compressor? please tell us how does it work  8)
1.6td 170hp 290nm powered by Holset - sold
golf mk2 1.9tdi PD 193hp/400nm ;)

Reply #47July 11, 2007, 07:05:20 am

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2007, 07:05:20 am »
The merc 300D one is the one I use on my application at the moment. It is nice...you do get a bit more lag on the low end, but when it wakes up it goes quite nicely. I'm still awaiting my R520's and a finished intercooler setup here before I really play but I had it sustained at 30psi/35psi without any issues and the power was AWESOME in 3, 4 and 5!. I wish I had a tach in at the moment (working on that...harder adapting the early dash style gasser tach to work...) to tell you exactly where spooling starts... and R520's to really give you an idea of full power. Though, with the 216's and the pump configuration....it really flies at the moment, etc...so, it'll be interested to see what is said here

The 300D unit I'm using is the 50 trim .42A/R cold  .48 A/R hot...

Joe
1979 Rabbit mTDI crazy $*(\%& bunny...
1972 VW Westfalia
2009 VW Tiguan SE 2.0T (Wife's car)
2001 Audi TT 225 Quattro Roadster (something newer :) )

Reply #48July 11, 2007, 07:25:11 am

zaprzal

• Junior

• turbodiesel.pl
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2007, 07:25:11 am »
The merc 300D one is the one I use on my application at the moment. It is nice...you do get a bit more lag on the low end, but when it wakes up it goes quite nicely. I'm still awaiting my R520's and a finished intercooler setup here before I really play but I had it sustained at 30psi/35psi without any issues and the power was AWESOME in 3, 4 and 5!.

Joe

If you compare max power with wastegated MB turbo vs gt2256vnt from MB 2,7cdi or vs gt2052vnt from audi 2,5tdi v6 - which one will be stronger? I mean max power at higher rpms, not spool up... Anybody know?
1.6td 170hp 290nm powered by Holset - sold
golf mk2 1.9tdi PD 193hp/400nm ;)

Reply #49July 12, 2007, 06:25:06 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2007, 06:25:06 pm »
The merc 300D one is the one I use on my application at the moment. It is nice...you do get a bit more lag on the low end, but when it wakes up it goes quite nicely. I'm still awaiting my R520's and a finished intercooler setup here before I really play but I had it sustained at 30psi/35psi without any issues and the power was AWESOME in 3, 4 and 5!. I wish I had a tach in at the moment (working on that...harder adapting the early dash style gasser tach to work...) to tell you exactly where spooling starts... and R520's to really give you an idea of full power. Though, with the 216's and the pump configuration....it really flies at the moment, etc...so, it'll be interested to see what is said here

Joe

good to hear joe.....im hopin it works ok,,or better than the old garrett at least
im hopin for lower egt's also
yea im not exactlysure which turbo i got,,all i know is its a merc. unit
with a .42 cold side/.48 hot side
the intake "hole" is bigger than the old idi td turbo(which is also a .42 cold side),by probably .5 inch
so thats sayin to me,"more air",hopefully
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #50July 14, 2007, 12:11:04 am

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2007, 12:11:04 am »
got it running tonight+went for a test,i mean cruise :lol:
the merc turbo is 100x better than the old garrett,why didnt you  guys tell me before?? :evil:
it does start givin boost very low also,,like around 2000 it starts to wake up(iwas seein 5 psi@ part throttle)
and id say by 25-2600 it starts comin on real good
then it pulls very strong  right up to redline(i went only to 4300 or so)
i got it )boost control)adjusted to  about 22-23 psi right now+ im seein egts of around approx.1300 f,way better than before
its hard to read the guages real good,because when you look back@ the road,you are flyin and its scary
thank god the gtech  has a shiftlight ,i had it set for around 4100,and i was seein it  quite frequently :twisted:
it breathes up top sooo0ooo much better
i didnt record any runs,but it feels at least close to as fast as it was with the old idi turbo and thats only in the low 20's for boost
this turbo seems ok so far,but  ill keep ya posted because ive only been drivin it for about 45 mins or so  :P
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #51July 14, 2007, 07:56:59 am

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2007, 07:56:59 am »
Told ya :) its those "little" changes that make things so much more fun. I think the .48 hot side A/R for heavily modified mTDI setups...or maybe even some wastegate setup ECU driven TDI's is the ticket as far as breathability, flow and efficiency where you want to have it...at very little of a sacrifice. I think the cold side A/R could be enlarged a bit but still...works very nicely I'd like a to see a .48/.50 A/R on the cold side... and leave the .48 hot side A/R  alone as it seems to be a good mix and compromise...
Less fuel though...and it wouldn't be much fun. I've had mine pulling close to 35psi without any issues...and thats on .216's. Its kind of funny to watch it actually. If I lay on it, the boost catches up to the smoke/fuel very quickly...lays quite a nice trail of smoke, but the turbo beats out the fuel eventually and I end up almost smoke free hauling a$$. Can't wait for the R520's to see what they will do.
I'm quite impressed with the mercedes unit and probably will use it for a while. I'd like to find another good core and rebuild it...maybe make that cold side addition to it...so if anyone has another around, I'd be interested in it for rebuilding it. The one I have was used...could probably use a rebuild but I haven't had any issues.

Glad to hear it worked out for you. Its not as efficient as the GT series turbos...or the newer designs...but it is an improvement over the IDI TD ones that start loosing their breath...

Joe
1979 Rabbit mTDI crazy $*(\%& bunny...
1972 VW Westfalia
2009 VW Tiguan SE 2.0T (Wife's car)
2001 Audi TT 225 Quattro Roadster (something newer :) )

Reply #52July 14, 2007, 09:44:38 am

A2TD

« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2007, 09:44:38 am »
Quote from: "935racer"

Actually if you search the forced induction forum on the tex you'll find that peeps have already tested that, I believe it was done on a turbo R32 and they found no power gains from going 3" to 4"......

My point was that on a wee little 1.9 TDI that'll maybe rev to 5000rpm will never flow enough exhaust to take advantage of a 4" DP, I'm not making this up, if you plug the #'s in you'll see what I mean, I'm simply arguing the science of it.

Hilfolk why don't you try running a GT22??????

Haha vortex :roll:

The reason they didn't see anymore power is because their turbo was too small, plain and simple. If the turbo is so small that there was no difference between a 3" and a 4" downpipe than it proves the turbo is the choke point, the turbine can only expel so much gas, true. But it can create all sorts of pressure and choke the engine to death. If the turbine outlet is only 2" than a 3" downpipe will likely be good enough, if its a 2.5-3" outlet than you will undoubtedly see gains from a 4" downpipe.

A 1.9 will need a 4" downpipe when its running a large turbo thats needs to spool up as soon as possible or if the goal is to keep all temperatures and pressures as low as possible. If you want to argue the science, than do that, theres no science in that r32 test, or they would have measured the drive pressure difference's, egts, oil temps, etc

Ok I"ll deal with a scenario I actually have facts on, one of our locals has a turbo VR running a gt35R(with a 1.06 turbine AR), this turbo will flow more on the turbine side, than any turbo you plan on putting on a 1.9tdi. Now this car has a 3" downpipe, and when they were doing the tunning there was much debate to whether the 3" downpipe was enough, so they tapped the down pipe and hooked up a pressure gauge, and ran the car on the dyno, and guess what??? they saw absolutely no pressure in the downpipe. The car made 675 to the wheels @20psi.

Facts are facts, if your running a .48-.52 turbine AR on a 1.9tdi, the turbines gonna be the greatest restriction when it comes to a DP over 2.5". There used to be a website that listed the flow capabilities of specific diametre piping, can't seem to located it anymore, anyways you see my point.

PS please don't take this as me trying to flame you, its simply a constructive argument. :D

Reply #53July 15, 2007, 10:55:38 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2007, 10:55:38 pm »
no flaming taken.....
but the 3 inch dp sounds good  all by itself,no extra pipe or muffler needed
i think ill drive it to waterfest just like that
 :twisted:
just ordered 2 silicone hoses for the turbo compressor pipe
1 90 deg. 2 inch id,,and a transition hose
with 4 clamps it was 100$  :shock:
gotta pay to play
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #54July 16, 2007, 06:40:40 pm

935racer

« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2007, 06:40:40 pm »
Theres no way there was zero psi in a 3" downpipe on a 1.06 AR turbine pushing 20 psi boost, their gauge is broken, likely melted it from not running enough copper between the downpipe and the boost gauge. I measured 1-2 psi on a 1.6td with a stock turbo pushing 25 psi with a 3" downpipe, that car wasn't pushing over 150hp by any means.

Reply #55July 16, 2007, 06:43:06 pm

935racer

« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2007, 06:43:06 pm »
So Blake how are you liking the merc turbo? Pretty sure I tried tellin you about that one a while back, I've been using them for a couple years and they can't be beat for a budget turbo upgrade. :P

How does it pull with the higher boost pressures compare to the holset?

Reply #56July 16, 2007, 07:34:52 pm

therabbittree

• Veteran

« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2007, 07:34:52 pm »
i'll let him chime in ... i haven't rideen itn it .. but he says its really nice like thr holset but with bottom end... im not sure i believe it  ha i have to get a ride  the holset frightened me.. faster then my old hy35 with the 9 cm..
later deo

Reply #57July 16, 2007, 07:44:07 pm

935racer

« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2007, 07:44:07 pm »
Sweet! Deo you workin on any tdi projects?

Reply #58July 16, 2007, 07:57:04 pm

therabbittree

• Veteran

« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2007, 07:57:04 pm »
yeah my b4 passat wagon.. basically redoing a lot of it with glx stuffand brakes black leather etcetc..its a long pain in the ass project..getting mopre expensive then not..ha.. and doing timing belts for people etc..you?

Reply #59July 16, 2007, 08:21:37 pm

935racer

« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2007, 08:21:37 pm »
Naw no personal projects, no time for that, building some more rally stuff. Building some cummins tubular exhaust manifolds for the baja 1000 though, pretty neat stuff there, the trucks are getting 8 ft of air during the race so they have to be bullet proof :shock:

Fixmyvw.com