S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: the hillfolk tdi-m returns,but i need some turbo help  (Read 29887 times)

Reply #30July 09, 2007, 10:28:46 am

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

the hillfolk tdi-m returns,but i need some turbo help
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2007, 10:28:46 am »
Quote from: "RabbitGTDguy"
go for the merc. unit for WF if you need too. Its not bad, turbine side and trim is larger than the stock T3's... though, the compressor still holds at .42
Uses standard T3 flange and a standard 4 bolt discharge, just like the stock IDI TD units.

Joe

Wait.. the MB turbo has the same trapezoidal flange that the VW T3's do?  What years/cars did the MB turbo come from?  Maybe I'll try and find one of those instead of using this T-3.

Brendan
81 Scirocco 'S -->Soon to be m-TDI
93 Corrado SLC VR6
'86 Golf N/A Diesel  -->Wife's car
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

"I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess....."

-Red Green

Reply #31July 09, 2007, 10:46:28 am

zaprzal

• Junior

• turbodiesel.pl
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2007, 10:46:28 am »
Quote from: "lord_verminaard"
go for the merc. unit for WF if you need too. Its not bad, turbine side and trim is larger than the stock T3's... though, the compressor still holds at .42
Uses standard T3 flange and a standard 4 bolt discharge, just like the stock IDI TD units.

Joe

Wait.. the MB turbo has the same trapezoidal flange that the VW T3's do?  What years/cars did the MB turbo come from?  Maybe I'll try and find one of those instead of using this T-3.

Brendan

I think MB turbo flange is different:

this one have 0,48 compressor

1.6td 170hp 290nm powered by Holset - sold
golf mk2 1.9tdi PD 193hp/400nm ;)

Reply #32July 09, 2007, 01:15:56 pm

Audi80

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2007, 01:15:56 pm »
Quote from: "A2TD"

4" downpipe  :shock:  thats way overkill, I know of 2 turbo VR6's make well over 600whp with a 3" dp...............

Wow, I didnīt know they made diesel VR6 :shock:

Reply #33July 09, 2007, 01:53:35 pm

punkvideo81

• Junior

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2007, 01:53:35 pm »
Blake, I love that exhaust system! No excess there...

I just got my Giles injection pump in the mail, should be installing that and an audi 5000 ic on the pickup by next week. Good luck finding the right turbo, this is a good thread to read...
Cheers,
Evan
'81 Caddy 1.6 TD

Reply #34July 09, 2007, 05:15:34 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2007, 05:15:34 pm »
Quote from: "lord_verminaard"

Joe

Brendan

No...they have the standard 4 bolt rectangular inlet flange (t3 flange) but DO use the same discharge flange as the older IDI TD turbos do...as mentioned and shown below...

Guess I needed to clarify that... the "trapezoid" flange is def. not standard and is unique to VW from what I have ever seen.

Joe
1979 Rabbit mTDI crazy $*(\%& bunny...
1972 VW Westfalia
2009 VW Tiguan SE 2.0T (Wife's car)
2001 Audi TT 225 Quattro Roadster (something newer :) )

Reply #35July 09, 2007, 05:52:09 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2007, 05:52:09 pm »
head gasket is done/finished job
i  re clocked the center section to the exh. housing,next is the compressor needs a slight reclocking...
hmmm ill haveta look at the other 2 turbos deo(.48 comp side??)
the one im gonna use has a .48 exh side,,and a .42 comp side.... that turbo pictured above with the .48 comp housing is interesting
hopefully ill have it running tomorrow/wednesday..
making a custom  adapter block on the mill for an oil line adapter so i can use the orig. line  with that 2 bolt flange oil feed

lord verminard,yea the vw trapzoid thing is an oddball,,the merc turbo has a std  t3 flange
um yea and im hooking up the wastegate this time,deo :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #36July 09, 2007, 07:51:59 pm

andy2

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2007, 07:51:59 pm »
We'll I've got the hx30 spooling as a single and I'm pretty sure I've got a major issue as It will only make 28-29 psi with 40 psi driving it and wastegate held closed.No boost leaks upto the head but I suspect that the headgasket may be the cause of the low boost???? :?

Reply #37July 09, 2007, 09:32:46 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2007, 09:32:46 pm »
Yes...yes... that .48 A/R compressor housing on that particular MB turbo is very interesting...we could benefit :) Did that come off a 300D? Its def. not off a mid 80's 300, as they have a different wastegate setup...I like the external setup on that one.

Sprinter maybe? Very interesting! Whats the hot side A/R on that unit? all the merc 300D turbos I have seen were .42cold and .48 hot.  Ideally I don't think we benefit above .48 on the hot side for the TDI (its nice for "breath" through the higher RPM's on the TDI compared to the early turbos), but the .48, .50 compressor could generate some additional benefits...which is why that turbo is so interested! More info~  

andy 2...don't you have head studs in your motor and your still blowing head gaskets? Thats insane! Maybe I should be careful with mine...the AWIC has opened up a whole new level to things... :)

Joe
1972 VW Westfalia

Reply #38July 09, 2007, 10:04:53 pm

935racer

« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2007, 10:04:53 pm »

4" downpipe  :shock:  thats way overkill, I know of 2 turbo VR6's make well over 600whp with a 3" dp...............

And if they bolted on a 4" downpipe they'd likely gain 20WHP, lower egts by at least 100 degrees, turbo would spool sooner, oil temps would drop, you get the idea.

Just because people make power a certain way certainly does not mean its a good way of doing it.

Reply #39July 09, 2007, 10:08:33 pm

935racer

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2007, 10:08:33 pm »
We'll I've got the hx30 spooling as a single and I'm pretty sure I've got a major issue as It will only make 28-29 psi with 40 psi driving it and wastegate held closed.No boost leaks upto the head but I suspect that the headgasket may be the cause of the low boost???? :?

This might now be such a bad thing!, remember that PSI is just pressure, if I remember you have a very ported head, different intake manifold etc, these things aid in lowering PSI while increasing flow. Whith my new intake manifolds and head porting I am seeing almost a 10 PSI LOSS in boost, yet the car is faster... yep I am getting more flow, less pressure, awesome.

Reply #40July 10, 2007, 06:05:44 am

zaprzal

• Junior

• turbodiesel.pl
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2007, 06:05:44 am »
Yes...yes... that .48 A/R compressor housing on that particular MB turbo is very interesting...we could benefit Smile Did that come off a 300D? Its def. not off a mid 80's 300, as they have a different wastegate setup...I like the external setup on that one.

Sprinter maybe? Very interesting! Whats the hot side A/R on that unit? all the merc 300D turbos I have seen were .42cold and .48 hot. Ideally I don't think we benefit above .48 on the hot side for the TDI (its nice for "breath" through the higher RPM's on the TDI compared to the early turbos), but the .48, .50 compressor could generate some additional benefits...which is why that turbo is so interested! More info~

here you can see some more photos of this turbo:
http://www.zaprzal.info/t3merc/

I think it's a 250turbo mercedes and this same impellers were on MB sprinter

what do you think about some crazy hybrid: 0,48 exhaust housing and saab (gasoline) compressor impeller and housing?
1.6td 170hp 290nm powered by Holset - sold
golf mk2 1.9tdi PD 193hp/400nm ;)

Reply #41July 10, 2007, 07:49:49 am

A2TD

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2007, 07:49:49 am »
Quote from: "935racer"

And if they bolted on a 4" downpipe they'd likely gain 20WHP, lower egts by at least 100 degrees, turbo would spool sooner, oil temps would drop, you get the idea.

Just because people make power a certain way certainly does not mean its a good way of doing it.

Actually if you search the forced induction forum on the tex you'll find that peeps have already tested that, I believe it was done on a turbo R32 and they found no power gains from going 3" to 4"......

My point was that on a wee little 1.9 TDI that'll maybe rev to 5000rpm will never flow enough exhaust to take advantage of a 4" DP, I'm not making this up, if you plug the #'s in you'll see what I mean, I'm simply arguing the science of it.

Hilfolk why don't you try running a GT22??????

Reply #42July 10, 2007, 09:41:56 am

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2007, 09:41:56 am »

No...they have the standard 4 bolt rectangular inlet flange (t3 flange) but DO use the same discharge flange as the older IDI TD turbos do...as mentioned and shown below...

Guess I needed to clarify that... the "trapezoid" flange is def. not standard and is unique to VW from what I have ever seen.

Joe

Gotcha- I thought as much but maybe you knew something I didnt.  ;)  So what did that MB turbo come from?

Brendan
81 Scirocco 'S -->Soon to be m-TDI
93 Corrado SLC VR6
'86 Golf N/A Diesel  -->Wife's car
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

"I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess....."

-Red Green

Reply #43July 10, 2007, 06:46:51 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2007, 06:46:51 pm »
Quote from: "zaprzal"
Yes...yes... that .48 A/R compressor housing on that particular MB turbo is very interesting...we could benefit Smile Did that come off a 300D? Its def. not off a mid 80's 300, as they have a different wastegate setup...I like the external setup on that one.

Sprinter maybe? Very interesting! Whats the hot side A/R on that unit? all the merc 300D turbos I have seen were .42cold and .48 hot. Ideally I don't think we benefit above .48 on the hot side for the TDI (its nice for "breath" through the higher RPM's on the TDI compared to the early turbos), but the .48, .50 compressor could generate some additional benefits...which is why that turbo is so interested! More info~

here you can see some more photos of this turbo:
http://www.zaprzal.info/t3merc/

I think it's a 250turbo mercedes and this same impellers were on MB sprinter

what do you think about some crazy hybrid: 0,48 exhaust housing and saab (gasoline) compressor impeller and housing?

I wouldn't mind trying that particular turbo out at all. I can't figure out what the size of the hot side is...but, it doesn't look to be too large from what I can see...and the .48 compressor side would def. be nice for efficiency.

Hmm...can't remember the saab turbos specs... were they a .63 hot side? and a .42 50trim cold side. I've seen some "upgraded" 900 turbos...but i think most stockers had our .42 compressor already with the much more gasser friendly .63 hot side...

Joe
1972 VW Westfalia

Reply #44July 10, 2007, 10:48:38 pm

935racer

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2007, 10:48:38 pm »

Actually if you search the forced induction forum on the tex you'll find that peeps have already tested that, I believe it was done on a turbo R32 and they found no power gains from going 3" to 4"......

My point was that on a wee little 1.9 TDI that'll maybe rev to 5000rpm will never flow enough exhaust to take advantage of a 4" DP, I'm not making this up, if you plug the #'s in you'll see what I mean, I'm simply arguing the science of it.

Hilfolk why don't you try running a GT22??????

Haha vortex :roll:

The reason they didn't see anymore power is because their turbo was too small, plain and simple. If the turbo is so small that there was no difference between a 3" and a 4" downpipe than it proves the turbo is the choke point, the turbine can only expel so much gas, true. But it can create all sorts of pressure and choke the engine to death. If the turbine outlet is only 2" than a 3" downpipe will likely be good enough, if its a 2.5-3" outlet than you will undoubtedly see gains from a 4" downpipe.

A 1.9 will need a 4" downpipe when its running a large turbo thats needs to spool up as soon as possible or if the goal is to keep all temperatures and pressures as low as possible. If you want to argue the science, than do that, theres no science in that r32 test, or they would have measured the drive pressure difference's, egts, oil temps, etc

S-PAutomotive.com