Author Topic: Sharing my 1.6td project  (Read 7445 times)

Reply #45May 09, 2024, 10:26:56 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: Sharing my 1.6td project
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2024, 10:26:56 pm »
Fatmobile,  don't all VWs have gauge clusters and lights that act weird?  Even with ground straps on all parts of the car?  It just seems that way to me for some reason.

Reply #46May 11, 2024, 01:51:54 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2024, 01:51:54 am »
 My gas and temp gauge go up and down together, ha. But that's probably just the voltage regulator contacts.
 What really had my cluster acting funny, I'm convinced,
was the little ground wire from the steering rack to the body was missing.
 My own fault, I didn't realize how important it was.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #47May 13, 2024, 09:26:40 pm

as4k

• User+

« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2024, 09:26:40 pm »
Back from PA in my other Audi.  Around 20 hours of driving and the car did quite well.  I was still bummed I couldnt get the 4ktd ready for the trip as there were other 4k's there of that vintage. 

Ok, battery stuff.  I actually took the battery back to Autozone today and they confirmed the core is shot.  Ironically they didnt have a DLG battery there, couldnt get one, and sent me to a store that supposedly had one, but they only had DL versions, whatever.  So at least I'll be fresh with a new battery once I sort out the cables and grounds.

Now, I've had zero issues with the gauges or lights in this car.  Coolant and fuel gauge read correct, volt and oil temp seem to be as well.  But I will upgrade the negative and possibly positive cable and battery connection.  I did this with my other Audi a few years ago.  I wouldnt mind some opinions on exactly what you guys would use.

In terms of ground locations, I'm attaching a few photos.  Keep in mind this car was pretty much all apart, but the main negative cable was still there.  Its attached both at the battery tray and bellhousing.  There is another cable straight from the battery to the bellhousing.  I can either add another to a better grounding point (opinions on where would be nice), or replace and move the "blue" cable elsewhere. 

1986 4kq
1981 4ktd
2012 Jetta TDI

Reply #48May 13, 2024, 11:37:26 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2024, 11:37:26 pm »
 That looks like plenty of ground cables.

Reply #49June 09, 2024, 09:44:58 pm

as4k

• User+

« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2024, 09:44:58 pm »
Small update.  First, I still owe you guys a starting video.  I'll get on that this week.  We moved a few months ago, had the car show in PA, and just got back from a cruise, so things have been busy and I have not done many car related things.  I did however put down a list of things I need to get done on this thing.  I also hooked up the new battery and gave the car a start, idle, and to see if it moved (since I messed with the clutch cable many months ago).
I'll let you guys weigh in on the starting when I post the video.  I still need to see why injector 4 is slightly leaking, but I do have a replacement to toss in.  The engine actually seems to vibrate more than it used to when it was at my other home in the garage.  I'll check the engine mounts and such there.  I did try to move the car and it does move in reverse and 1st!  Clutch engagement seems good, but the pedal needs some adjusting as it doesnt fully return.  I'm more of a hydraulic clutch guy so this is all new stuff.  Cable is brand new OEM.
Lastly, I did buy some actual timing tools (dial indicator) as well.  My friend who is the VW diesel guru has some and has timed my engine and pump.  Figure I'll learn how to do it myself so I can understand too.  When I pull the crank sandwich off to replace the crank bolt I'll have us verify the timing again. 

More to come!  Appreciate everyone here!
1986 4kq
1981 4ktd
2012 Jetta TDI

Reply #50June 10, 2024, 10:51:16 am

Dennis Froelich

• Global Moderator
  • Junior

« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2024, 10:51:16 am »
Thanks for the update sir!!
79 Golf GTD
96 Golf GTD(TDI)

Reply #51June 10, 2024, 05:29:28 pm

as4k

• User+

« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2024, 05:29:28 pm »
Ok, video time.  Its unlisted for now, so just click or copy the link.

Outside temp was about 70 degrees and this was the first time trying to start today.  I have never touched the advance knob on the left side of the dash, FYI.  My friend said he never really touches it either and his car starts/runs fine.
Typically I give the car more pedal after it initially starts and stalls out, so sorry for the repeated starts/stalls.  Alternator belt was quite loose, so thats the reason for the squeal.  The car has never just started and idled without a little help from the go pedal.  Once started I can let off slow and it will idle ok, but does surge sometimes.  You can hear this once I hop out of the car and head to the engine bay quick.  The car smokes the same amount from the tailpipe no matter warm/cold.  This is without fixing injector 4.  Will fix asap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsSW3VjAV84

« Last Edit: June 11, 2024, 09:23:24 pm by ORCoaster »
1986 4kq
1981 4ktd
2012 Jetta TDI

Reply #52June 11, 2024, 12:56:47 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2024, 12:56:47 am »
 Try pulling the cold start lever just after it starts to run.
 Leave it in while cranking.
 If you've never used it, you will be surprised by how well it evens the idle out.

Looks like 2 links to the same video.
 Good video, nice engine shots.
 Sounds like it smooths out and idles nice.

Reply #53June 11, 2024, 09:11:23 am

as4k

• User+

« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2024, 09:11:23 am »
Try pulling the cold start lever just after it starts to run.
 Leave it in while cranking.
 If you've never used it, you will be surprised by how well it evens the idle out.

Looks like 2 links to the same video.
 Good video, nice engine shots.
 Sounds like it smooths out and idles nice.
Oops, didnt mean to double dip on the link :)   (I cleaned it out for you.   ORCoaster)
In terms of starting, I'll try that.  I'll see if I can work on my to do list items soon then provide an update.  I wasnt sure about the idle.  With no tach or previous tdi experience, I was just going by sound when I adjusted it.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2024, 09:25:04 pm by ORCoaster »
1986 4kq
1981 4ktd
2012 Jetta TDI

S-PAutomotive.com