Author Topic: NOS systems  (Read 10883 times)

February 12, 2013, 05:15:03 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
NOS systems
« on: February 12, 2013, 05:15:03 pm »
Anyone have any info on NOS systems either DIY or some sort of collaboration of DIY and ebay or something?
The kits are $500 plus and all i can tell they are is a solenoid, some lines, a micro controller and nozzles. And of course a bottle & gauge. But I fail to see how it's SO expensive? Has anyone gotten around this by making their own as it were?

I just want a wet shot at WOT...

Ed
Blacked out mk2 AAZ Jetta RIP. You are missed.
White 1999.5 ALH Golf 2dr. Low & wide. Rammed off the road RIP.
Blue 2009 CR140 Jetta CBEA/CJAA. Malone stage 2. EGR/DPF/Exhaust-valve deletes. 2.5" open exhaust. ADP Turbo swap. 1-stage nitrous kit. THROWN ROD

Reply #1February 12, 2013, 05:24:51 pm

CRSMP5

Re: NOS systems
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 05:24:51 pm »
wet as in pre turbo? or after style??

carb pre turbo has wet as part of its style.. so why i ask...

if so.. 1 nozzle, line swich, button is all you need.. old carb nos was a plate between carb/manifold with tubes to allow mist in.. visit old carb shop to build that simplistic design..

now if injecting into manifold that stuff needs to be better built/quality.. but unlike gassers i doubt you need the 2nd port for more gas.. so becomes diesel specific and too many truck guys with $ jack that price up..

Reply #2February 12, 2013, 05:38:53 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 05:38:53 pm »
Well, what would you suggest? What would you do? I'm not looking for anything too crazy at all. Just a little extra fun.  I was going to put the nozzzle in the neck/elbow of the intake on my ALH.
why can you not just introduce it like methanol/water?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 05:44:18 pm by Smokey Eddy »
Ed
Blue 2009 CR140 Jetta CBEA/CJAA. Malone stage 2. EGR/DPF/Exhaust-valve deletes. 2.5" open exhaust. ADP Turbo swap. 1-stage nitrous kit. THROWN ROD

Reply #3February 12, 2013, 07:21:41 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 07:21:41 pm »
I got a question for you Ed. What Pump Mods/Tune/Injector do you have planned for all this extra air??

Gonna need more fueling.

Reply #4February 12, 2013, 07:37:49 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 07:37:49 pm »
propane or LNG and stage 2 chip
Ed

Reply #5February 12, 2013, 08:39:15 pm

81 vw pu

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 08:39:15 pm »
This is where I got my kit. The kit number 609.1 is a universal dry kit. no bottle or brackets.
http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store/Scripts/default.asp

On my 1.6 I put the nozzle right before the intake 90.

Reply #6February 12, 2013, 09:27:24 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 09:27:24 pm »
ok we need to gt wet dry meanings set...

wet = fluid goes thru turbo turbine...

dry is after turbo, like manifold..

so in a dry system all boost made the injector has to carry/hold in place so on.. extra fuel how to on diesel.. no idea.. 8v is correct.. how do you plan fo rthe extra fuel..

now a wet system.. to shoot some in the pre turbo to let the turbine atomize/flush into intake.. yea not as much power.. but hell just plum end of hose in easy install..

so if its a poos and giggles.. id do wet.. if i planned to do it right.. id do 4 injectors built into my intake like a real set up on a gasser for max power potntial.. but unlike a gasser.. how to get fuel added for it...

Reply #7February 12, 2013, 10:09:45 pm

81 vw pu

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 10:09:45 pm »
Enry mod for extra fuel and nitrous to clean up the smoke!!!
I have not done this to my tdi so use your own judgement.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=12165&highlight=champagne

Reply #8February 12, 2013, 10:46:28 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 10:46:28 pm »
Running nitrous has HUGE gains, if you can fuel the fire. I am to understand that this "Evry mod" fools the computer in to letting the pump go rampant with fueling. HOWEVER you are still limited to it only being a stock 10mm TDI pump (or 11mm if it is an auto trans.. in which case, why are you doing a power build? lol) and stock like .184" nozzles (which actually measure .170").

Quote from: Myturbodiesel.com
Note about aftermarket injectors: sizes should be close to advertised.  For example, aftermarket .184 nozzles should be .184 actual and not .170 actual.  Some .184 stock nozzles were actually .170.  Aftermarket part numbers are highlighted in purple and follow the stock part number.

.158 injectors: DSLA 150P 672, OEM on the 90 hp auto transmission mk4 ALH 1998-2003 engine, actual measured size is .138mm.

.184 injectors: DSLA 150P 706 (some say France) OEM on the 90 hp manual transmission mk3 AHU/1Z (post smoke recall for the 1996 passat) 1996-1999 engine and the mk4 ALH 1998-2003 engine, actual measured size is .170mm.  Remember that if you have this size nozzle and replace them with ".184" .170mm actual size nozzle you will see an increase in power because of the size difference.

.184 injectors: (Euro market: DSLA 150P 357)/(US market: DSLA 150P 442) (sprint 357/442 or PP357), OEM on the 90 hp manual transmission mk3 AHU/1Z 1996-1999 engine, actual measured size is .185mm.  Similar to the "smaller".184 injectors used in later cars except it has a larger opening and was used in injector bodies with lower opening pressure (190 bar) used with different ecu programming pre-smoke recall in the 1996 passat.  PP357 should give about +5hp, +10ft-lbs over comparable sprint nozzles with less smoke.

.205 injectors: DSLA 150P 520 (sprint 520 or PP520), found on the 110 hp Euro AFN/ASV engine, actual measured size is .205mm.  These are the stock nozzles found on the 110hp Euro cars which also used a larger turbo and different ECU to account for more fuel.  PP520 should give about +10hp, +25ft-lbs over stock nozzles and about +5hp, +10ft-lbs over comparable 520 sprint nozzles with less smoke.

.216 injectors: These will give more power than .205 injectors.  There were also two different actual sizes for injectors commonly referred to as  ".216".  See below for more details on actual sizes.  You need adjustment of the fueling to control smoke and when used with a chip, advanced modifications and a new clutch are possible requirements to be able to burn all the fuel with little smoke.   See 1000q: advanced power modifications for more details.  They are not recommended for automatic transmission cars due to smoke.

So even if you chip it or do this "Evry mod", you are still limited by 90hp nozzles. I think the NOS, the Tune and some .216's would be a wise choice for your fueling future. Maybe the nat that point think of putting an 11mm head in your pump?? Maybe go balls deep and do a 12mm?! (you know.. they do have a 14mm plunger ;) nearly as big as the older pumps 17mm main shaft!!)

Reply #9February 13, 2013, 04:41:00 am

Adamksi

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 04:41:00 am »
Dry Nitrous KitThe typical dry nitrous kit is one of the most simple nitrous kits available. The kit is called a dry nitrous kit because it injects only nitrous into the engine, and not fuel. Generally, the dry nitrous kit is for people who want a set that allows them to let the ECU or computer automatically add appropriate amounts of fuel to compensate for the added nitrous into the motor. Usually you can get away with a dry nitrous system if you are confident in your car automatically compensating fuel, you have a larger fuel system, or have a way of ensuring there is adequate fuel when the nitrous gets injected.

Wet Nitrous KitThe typical wet nitrous kit is only of the more popular nitrous kits amongst enthusiasts. The wet nitrous kit injects both nitrous and fuel into the engine at the same time. As with the dry nitrous kit, you still need to have enough fuel in your fuel system for the wet nitrous system to be able to use while the nitrous is being injected. You can setup an external fuel pump specifically for this kit, so when the nitrous is activated, the fuel will come with the external fuel pump, bypassing the stock fuel system. This is a more elaborate wet nitrous system, but can be one of the most reliable setups.

Wet nitrous kit on a diesel is a lot more complex and expensive, you obviously can't just chuck fuel into the intake as it'll be all wrong. A simple dry kit is all you need, 50bhp shot with a nozzle into the intake and WOT switch, have it mapped to suit. On MTDi its even easier, just turn the fuel up!

Reply #10February 13, 2013, 01:52:30 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 01:52:30 pm »
You need A LOT more fuel to support another 50bhp.. I don't think anyone has really run those power numbers on stock .170" injector nozzles.

On a stock ALH fuel system I think you'd be pushing it to add a "50 shot" of NOS. Why not spend similar money on an appropriate sized VNT turbo? Wouldn't have to fill a bottle, and you'd get better all RPM performance.

Eh?

Reply #11February 13, 2013, 01:59:58 pm

UnderPSI

• Junior

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 01:59:58 pm »
It would be just as easy to run a wet system on it.
Suzuki Samurai 1.6

Reply #12February 13, 2013, 06:57:38 pm

81 vw pu

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 06:57:38 pm »
Can someone explain how this wet system works on a diesel??? I have read a little about a guy using a wet system on a powerstroke.
Are they injecting diesel into the turbo or intake piping along with nitrous? I can see diesel turning to jello real quick if both are injected through the same nozzle.
I have heard of propane being used as a power enhancer. Also what keeps these added fuels from
igniting on the compression stroke before TDC if put through the intake system???

I have some experience with wet systems on carbed and efi gassers, and have ran a dry kit on my 1.6TD caddy for a couple years now.
Like mentioned earler if you have the extra fuel, nitrous will help burn it, and lower egt's.

Reply #13February 14, 2013, 03:35:33 am

Adamksi

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 03:35:33 am »
Can someone explain how this wet system works on a diesel??? I have read a little about a guy using a wet system on a powerstroke.
Are they injecting diesel into the turbo or intake piping along with nitrous? I can see diesel turning to jello real quick if both are injected through the same nozzle.
I have heard of propane being used as a power enhancer. Also what keeps these added fuels from
igniting on the compression stroke before TDC if put through the intake system???

I have some experience with wet systems on carbed and efi gassers, and have ran a dry kit on my 1.6TD caddy for a couple years now.
Like mentioned earler if you have the extra fuel, nitrous will help burn it, and lower egt's.

Exactly, I think people are getting definitions of dry and wet systems wrong.

I wouldn't ever run nitrous on a stock system, only as a power enhancer for an already hyped up engine. 25-30psi boosted MTDi will swallow a 50 shot like a fat kid on cake

Reply #14February 14, 2013, 07:00:46 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 07:00:46 pm »
I dunno why you think the engine needs to be modified to run nitrous ???.

A shot of nitrous is nothing more than air.. Meaning, if you run a bigger turbo.. and use it push more air in to the cylinder its the same thing.

As far as I see it, there is no feasibly cheap way to safely do a "wet" Nitrous injection on a diesel without a completely custom intake.. and very expensive Nitrous setup..

Usually the problem people run in to with these things is not enough air when going power builds.. So they run compounds or some huge turbo. I think a huge shot of nitrous whilst incorporating the pumps natural LDA boost functions.. you could get a very well behaving shot of nitrous after the stock turbo has reached efficiency. You will then have a big waste-gate as part of the system as well, which will allow the turbine wheel to essentially freewheel while your nitrous makes the air in the cylinder happen.

The fuel pumps, especially if you go with an 11mm or 12mm will be able to fuel enough to match a massive shot of nitrous, up until 6000rpms.

S-PAutomotive.com