Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Dub Nasty- The rebirth of the dirty diesel  (Read 31617 times)

Reply #60July 25, 2012, 06:53:56 pm

flowmastergfunk

• Junior

Re: Dub Nasty- The rebirth of the dirty diesel
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2012, 06:53:56 pm »
Progress has been steady with the jetta lately. We got the insurance and registration back up to date on monday, and I took the car down to the exhaust shop to have the rest of the pipe mated to the headers. I had a flange installed between the downpipe and flexpipe so that the shifter box can still be dropped if need be. I have made a lot of observations to many of the new changed and for the most part, I am very pleased with the setup. Even though it is finally running and driving, I am starting to feel far from finished (cosmetics aside)

First, the oil dipstick tube is making a mess out of my beautiful engine! I DO have the metal shim in there but I believe I was given the incorrect o-ring. It is misting everything on the front of the motor with oil and then spraying back on my nice clean subframe! I think I am just going to slather it in form-a-gasket and be done with it. Also, the dipstick that I have doesn't lock onto the tube at all. It is measuring the oil at the correct level but today it actually backed out of the tube a good 6  to 8 inches while I was driving! Yes, I have been driving without a hood. It is nice to be able to keep an eye on things AND R.O.R-2.0 can't diss my "hot air intake" with the nice cool breeze flowing into it  ;D

I also need to finish running wire for the lights, fan and glow plug relay. I was planning on stealthing the lighting wires in the frame and bumper but have not really gotten started on the endeavor yet. I THOUGHT the fan was hooked up but it isn't running. It might be as simple as a fuse but I haven't gotten too intimate and started testing everything yet. I have a feeling that I will need to do minor surgery to work around the lack of A/C.
I started to wire up the glowplugs individually with with some good wire, separate fuse block and starter solenoid but I misplaced a length of the wire. Just to get by temporarily, I ran the glowplugs in 2 pairs through 2 fuses. There is sadly too much current for the 20 amp fuses to take. I was just trying to do a temp setup until I found the rest of my wire (which I did). I grabbed some 35 amp fuses today and I am hoping that they will keep me going for a little while.

I also ordered an inline coolant filler neck so that I can delete the coolant bottle and convert to a vented system. The engine bay still looks a little too cluttered to me. I also want to build a nice clean tray and bracket on the passenger side of the engine bay for my filters and such. I am running an old fuel filter that I flushed out a bit and two prefilters until I am done with this first tank of fuel. I did not flush the tank after all the sitting that it has done so this is my lazy way of cleaning it out. There may have only been a couple of gallons at the bottom but who knows what was growing in there haha. I have a brand new factory filter ready to throw in but down the line I may experiment with other aftermarket filters and veggie processing. I have always hated seeing old 240's and 300's coming into my old benz shop with ghetto ass setups and it has always inspired me to try to find a better way. Not in a hurry to set that up yet, but you know.... just in case of zombies or whatever. ;)

I have also noticed some unfortunate movement in the passengers side of the suspension so I will be doing some control arm and sway bar bushings soon. It looks like the old diesel leak already did it's damage to some rubber. I am leaning towards the g60 ones instead of poly but I am looking forward to experiment with both somewhere down the line. I may do some experimentation with motor mounts and inserts as well because I can hear the exhaust hitting pretty hard if you let the clutch off a little to quick under too much of a load.

Now the transmission... holy COW! I replaced all of the shift bushings (even that evil on in the front of the shift box), installed my neuspeed short shifter and weighted shift rod (Complements of the local junkyard) and filled the tranny with Lucas gear oil and some syncromesh. Butter. Sweet, saucy, buttery goodness. I thought the short shifter sounded like a bit of a gimmick given the normal price of the item brand new, but since I got both pieces for $10, I went for it. The shortened throw actually helps out since the recarros that I got are so puffy and invasive. The seats still got in the way of shifting when they were almost all the way back but now it is a bit better off. Every gear soars right in. The CHE ratio thus far is great for cruising. I haven't put in my 0.71 5th gear yet and now I am in no hurry to do it. So far it feel good enough to live with the 0.8 for a while. It can be a little sluggish on big grades but I still have to get the final setup on my pump. I am leaving the fuel turned down moderately during the break in period. I don't want to flog this thing from the start. I still desperately need to get a fuel pressure gauge. I believe I had my timing set at .95 or .96 and I have the max fuel so there is just a kiss of black smoke when you snap the throttle. One thing I need to look back into is one of the mods that I did when I FIRST got the car....

There was one mod listed on the vortex long ago about taking off the front cover on the pump and doing something with the washers in there with the spring. I remember that I had the "green" spring and I did SOMETHING with the shims but I cannot recall what I did. I didn't really think about it again until recently and I didn't really take note of it when I had the pump apart. I believe the article said something about there being 3 shims and to remove the thickest shim. Whatever I did, it seemed to work for me back then. Now, I want to know what I REALLY did! What value did I REALLY change. As a youngster, I just saw it as a modification for more power. Now I am thinking numbers.

This is also my first engine break in so is there any crucial advice that I may have missed out on? I have been pretty gentle with it except for running out the gears a couple of times. I have also been doing occasional spurts of acceleration and then backing off to let the engine slow me down a little. I have not revved the motor too high but I haven't been able to see my RPM's to give any examples. I still haven't put my tach in! I need to do a repair to that stupid ribbon cable of a circuit board that they use!

From memory, I believe that I have seen this car move quicker and I am pretty sure it was LOUDER without the headers...but it still sounds goooooood! I am sure it will make more of a rukkus when I get the fueling all dialed in!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 07:01:21 pm by flowmastergfunk »

Reply #61July 25, 2012, 10:18:32 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2012, 10:18:32 pm »
Green springs and shims removed?  Read again.

http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=7781.15

You advanced the timing sooner. 

Reply #62July 31, 2012, 11:40:15 pm

veector

• Junior

« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2012, 11:40:15 pm »
Nice build!  Love that people are still building NA diesels, I wish my 1.6D was that clean!

Excuse my ignorance but why didnt you go with a gti or similar intake manifold? 
I cant wait to bolt mine up, even worked a nice flange and piping to a filter.
1981 Jetta D
1997 Jetta TD

Reply #63August 01, 2012, 07:48:38 pm

flowmastergfunk

• Junior

« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2012, 07:48:38 pm »
Thanks Veector! I have seen a custom g60 intake that may have been in the classifieds here and it really got me thinking about gasser intakes. I am not sure how much bigger the runners are as I have never really looked it up. It certainly crossed my mind how slick it would look with some piping ran out of the way to a cone filter, but I already invested in the K&N for this intake so I decided to stick with it. I will have to look into it more though! Maybe I am doing it all wrong!

My girl and I are taking out first road trip up to a wedding in Napa valley in a week so I am excited to have this thing running so smooth and reliably! I just deleted the coolant bottle and installed an in line filler neck this morning. I never want to go back. I love it. Ran nice and cool today and nothing blew out! Now I just need to find a cool bottle of liquor so I can have a sweet overflow bottle  ;)

I am starting to get a little side tracked though because I just got a new toy for 700 bucks last night. This young girl just had the clutch done and they botched the shift linkage so one of the plastic arms just popped off. I tried to show her that it was an easy fix and she was just over it. Looks like honesty is the best policy because she took 100 dollars off of what she was asking....and 800 was already a steal. JH motor with 82,000. Looks like my next project is going to be prepping an ABA block! Getting my control arm bushing done in the jetta is my first goal before the trip but I can't wait to dive into this when I get back.

I might try ou

Reply #64August 02, 2012, 01:44:17 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2012, 01:44:17 am »
If you put those jack stands on pieces of plywood they will be much less likely to tip over and kill you.

Reply #65August 02, 2012, 06:06:03 pm

flowmastergfunk

• Junior

« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2012, 06:06:03 pm »
haha good point. I am being a bad role model. I hate working in the dirt PERIOD but the ground where it is parked is rock hard. I don't recommend ever using jackstands in the dirt but I have to get that shift linkage done so I can drive it to my garage and work on it like some sort of professional. I do leave the jack under one side as a fail safe but I wish I had some sturdy wood around. The bank is broke :(

Reply #66August 02, 2012, 07:40:21 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2012, 07:40:21 pm »
Just a piece of 3/4" thick plywood a little larger than the base of the stands can make all the difference.  Scraps that size can be found at any construction job site.  Home depot sells smaller pieces like that also.  Go for plywood, not OSB or MDF as the plies distribute the force and withstand moisture better.  I have a stack of pieces like that and they come in handy in many ways.  They are all pieces that I either picked up when someone else was throwing them away or were leftovers from one of my projects. 

Reply #67August 02, 2012, 11:20:28 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2012, 11:20:28 pm »
I like 2 by 10 pieces myself.  Stout and hardy.  Just a bit difficult to store after use. 

Reply #68August 17, 2012, 01:18:11 pm

flowmastergfunk

• Junior

« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2012, 01:18:11 pm »
Well, the first road trip with dub nasty was mostly a success. We drove all the way up the coast last week, camping along the way, until we got to napa valley. I wasn't able to keep track of the millage but I know when we filled up in napa valley, we made it all the way down to Anaheim on one tank. Then we made it all the way home on less than 5 gallons! We got lucky because we totally ran out of money lol. Unfortunately, I have already decided that I need to ditch the headers. I am going to replace them with the common cast dual-outlet manifolds with a dual downpipe. I just need to find one that has the bracket that secures it to the backside of the engine. Between the heat and the f***ed up pavement through the grapevine, we managed to crack the headers somewhere. I still can't see it, but it just got louder and louder :( It was certainly worth a shot but I really wish it would have lasted for more than one road trip.
Like Travolta said in Pulp Fiction, I "should've f***in better known better". Sad panda. At least after I take the headers off and repair them I have an 8v to put them on! I just wonder if they fit the MK1 chasis well and if they will still clear when I swap in my ABA block

Reply #69August 17, 2012, 01:25:07 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2012, 01:25:07 pm »
Well, the first road trip with dub nasty was mostly a success. We drove all the way up the coast last week, camping along the way, until we got to napa valley. I wasn't able to keep track of the millage but I know when we filled up in napa valley, we made it all the way down to Anaheim on one tank. Then we made it all the way home on less than 5 gallons! We got lucky because we totally ran out of money lol. Unfortunately, I have already decided that I need to ditch the headers. I am going to replace them with the common cast dual-outlet manifolds with a dual downpipe. I just need to find one that has the bracket that secures it to the backside of the engine. Between the heat and the f***ed up pavement through the grapevine, we managed to crack the headers somewhere. I still can't see it, but it just got louder and louder :( It was certainly worth a shot but I really wish it would have lasted for more than one road trip.
Like Travolta said in Pulp Fiction, I "should've f***in better known better". Sad panda. At least after I take the headers off and repair them I have an 8v to put them on! I just wonder if they fit the MK1 chasis well and if they will still clear when I swap in my ABA block

you need lower support braces on a header when you run one on a diesel..

just like you figured out, the diesels vibrate like a ***, and the headers the part that vibrates the most, and they crack..

my lower support went from right by the collector, to the engine block, under the axle..

but that was on a mk1.. mk2/3 will be alot harder to add a lower support.
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #70August 17, 2012, 03:15:42 pm

flowmastergfunk

• Junior

« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2012, 03:15:42 pm »
Harder because of the subframe I suppose? I haven't been able to see where it broke yet but I guess while I am down there I can look around and figure away to build a support bracket before I scrap it.
I can't even recall how the stuck dual outlet mounts to the engine but your description rings a bell. I haven't seen a MK2 in the yard with dual outlet for a long time...I only see the MK3's. This is reminding me that I need to hunt down parts for my MIG and start welding!!

Reply #71August 17, 2012, 03:54:24 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2012, 03:54:24 pm »
Harder because of the subframe I suppose? I haven't been able to see where it broke yet but I guess while I am down there I can look around and figure away to build a support bracket before I scrap it.
I can't even recall how the stuck dual outlet mounts to the engine but your description rings a bell. I haven't seen a MK2 in the yard with dual outlet for a long time...I only see the MK3's. This is reminding me that I need to hunt down parts for my MIG and start welding!!

twin tube downpipes used a REALLY FLEXY flex joint between the manifold and downpipe..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #72August 21, 2012, 03:16:02 pm

flowmastergfunk

• Junior

« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2012, 03:16:02 pm »
going down to the junk yard today to get some parts for my rabbit and I am going to grab an extra mk3 dual outlet for the diesel. I had a peak at the headers today and decided I am not going to try to fix and brace them. It will be too much work for the time being and I still can't find the parts for my welder to do it myself. I am still sad that the headers were so short lived.

Reply #73September 11, 2012, 07:11:57 pm

flowmastergfunk

• Junior

« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2012, 07:11:57 pm »
Well, I am happy I did such a good job on this car. The old lady and I split up. Everything on the car is working so well that she won't call me to fix it.

Project: Complete

Thanks for all of the motivation and advice guys!

Reply #74November 17, 2012, 02:04:23 pm

flowmastergfunk

• Junior

« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2012, 02:04:23 pm »
Well, some have you had seen and commented in the for sale section...it developed a problem with the clutch not disengaging so she wants to sell it as is. Unfortunately I don't get a discount because she "needs the money", but I have the chance to buy it from her as is for $2250. Worse case cost is going to be another clutch kit. I just might have to do it! I love this darn car so much :( My rabbit is being a little awkward so I can make this my daily while I throw a 2.0 in the cabby. To be continued?...