Author Topic: Dub Nasty- The rebirth of the dirty diesel  (Read 31616 times)

Reply #15June 01, 2012, 04:57:51 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
Re: Dub Nasty- The rebirth of the dirty diesel
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2012, 04:57:51 pm »
The crank bolt is certainly a 6 point. The book has 3 different torque specs; one for the 12 point which is not to be reused, one for a 6 point bolt and one for a hex head bolt. Seems like a 6 point bolt and a hex head are the same to me ::)

I looked up the rod fasteners and saw the newer stretch type. Mine are studs, not bolts. I guess these will be ok to use.

I do have a lot more parts to order though! I ended up getting a Prothe gasket kit which was one of the stupidest things I have ever done in my life. I liked the idea that it was affordable and complete but I didn't expect it to be this bad! I had heard negative things about his products before but I figured I would give him a shot. The head gasket was damaged, there are two water pump gaskets, NEITHER of which are cut properly, there are no O rings included. The only reason I would ever buy anything from him again is so that ebay will allow me another 80 words worth of negative feedback.

I have started a new parts list. I already got a new headgasket but I am almost debating whether or not to use his headbolts. Last thing I want to do is sheer a bolt off on my final torque! At least while I am waiting for more parts I can finish my painting and figure out how to properly install pistons without breaking a ring...not like that already happened or anything.... :-X

thats the most funny thing ive ever heard!!!
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #16June 02, 2012, 12:24:59 am

rabbid79

• Veteran

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2012, 12:24:59 am »
thats the most funny thing ive ever heard!!!

I liked that too.  ;D  Nice build BTW.
'15 WRX
Parts for 2.0 TD build - Now looking for suitable car to put it in.

Reply #17June 05, 2012, 02:24:55 pm

flowmastergfunk

• Junior

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2012, 02:24:55 pm »
Wire wheeling, scrubing, sanding and spraying is finally starting to get old. Between two different kinds of primer and 3 different kinds of paint (even though everything is black in the end) I have painted all the parts separately with the appropriate temp. rating. That ceramic stuff takes 7 days to cure so I started putting together most of the parts that were painted last week!

ceramic primer

ceramic black

most of the finished parts

I got the front seal, waterpump, oil filter flange, intermediate shaft, oil pump and the vacuum pump all installed.

I also found a use for that Prothe headgasket. I used it just to set the head on it to see how it looks. I really want to paint the head black too but I am contemplating whether of not to just leave it silver. I don't know how well the ceramic would stick to aluminum if it expands and shrinks. If i used the 1200degree flat black paint it wouldn't stand up to leaking diesel. It would rub right off. EVERYTHING else is black though so it would stick out like a sore thumb if I don't paint it!

All the same, I just keep truckin along and slowly but surely, I am making progress!

Reply #18June 06, 2012, 08:58:58 pm

CrazyAndy

• Veteran

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2012, 08:58:58 pm »
Ah, she looks good in black.  ;)  Nice to see the painted parts.  I'm in the middle of painting my block as well, but with Rust Bullet instead of regular paint.  If you saw my block you'd understand.

Also on the subject of painding the head I say don't.  You'd be able to see leaks with less clarity, and like you said I don't think the paint would take to aluminum very well.  And from a style standpoint it would look good as a contrast to your lower end parts.  It would also match the unpainted pump and intake, that is if you already haven't painted them too. :P

Good luck and keep up the progress; remember slow progress is still progress!

Reply #19June 07, 2012, 09:47:40 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2012, 09:47:40 pm »
be sure to clean all the paint off the belt surface of the IM shaft pulley.. its prolly not a requirement, but it will be easier on the belt.

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #20June 07, 2012, 11:44:07 pm

flowmastergfunk

• Junior

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2012, 11:44:07 pm »
Also on the subject of painding the head I say don't.  You'd be able to see leaks with less clarity, and like you said I don't think the paint would take to aluminum very well.  And from a style standpoint it would look good as a contrast to your lower end parts.  It would also match the unpainted pump and intake, that is if you already haven't painted them too. :P

I agree that the head and the pump will accent each other well. The intake is already painted though haha. There were some strange casting defects on the top of the runners that looked like cracks so I ground them down a bit while I was porting and polishing, just to inspect. I ended up smoothing the top between coats of primer to hide any flaws and painted them with the same hi temp ceramic gloss black. I am very pleased with the way the turned out. I believe they will hold up well.

be sure to clean all the paint off the belt surface of the IM shaft pulley.. its prolly not a requirement, but it will be easier on the belt.

Without a doubt. I already sanded it to a shiny bare metal :) I made sure to plug the center before I painted it too so that I didn't get any paint where the shaft mates to it. Good lookin' out though!

After all of this I feel like a better painter than a technician! I still need to order a new set of piston rings. The grant ones that were given to me from the machine shop were apparently a "one size fits all" and I thought I remembered reading somewhere that you are not supposed to file down the piston rings at all. I guess I should have asked more specifically or actually CHECKED the end gap before trying to tap them in. Stupid. Stupid stupid stupid! I suppose we all have to learn some things the hard way, but that ruined my day REAL fast. I was just too anxious. Now I know. I am wondering if it is best to get another set of the same grant rings and buy a proper ring filer? Are there any better rings out there that are direct fit for the 76.98mm pistons with no filing required? This is where my inner n00b is shining through  ???

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Reply #21June 08, 2012, 07:45:30 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2012, 07:45:30 am »
Just buy the Goetze set and never worry. I put mine in the bores and they measured perfectly out of the box and they seat almost instantly.

Reply #22June 09, 2012, 07:27:26 pm

flowmastergfunk

• Junior

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2012, 07:27:26 pm »
Well I am feeling so close to finishing the motor I am going to spend some time dressing up the carcass this weekend. Time to see if we can't pump some life into this thing!

Sadly, This is how she has been sitting for quite some time. I only moved it into the shade under the tree recently. It spent a little time cooking in the sun surrounded by weeds  :'(

BTW, those chinese tail lights did not hold up well to the elements. They were a fair price years ago when I bought them...but after getting a ticket for them and then having them melt, shrink and warp...they have turned out to be a complete waste.

I think the interior should dress up well with a little elbow grease.

Here are the recaros that I got at the junkyard. The looked freshly reupholstered and I could not believe my eyes! They were 25 bucks each and they ended up being buy-one-get-one-free  ;D

As you can see, I have to finish dressing it up where I removed the raintray and do some serious cleaning and painting in there. I want to do a partial shave just to make it look as simplistic. Maybe leave some sideburns and a soul patch. I don't feel like all the mess of relocating the battery though. I will just have to play it by ear and see how it ends up!

Reply #23June 09, 2012, 11:29:09 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2012, 11:29:09 pm »
love your snowflakes

Reply #24June 14, 2012, 06:41:18 pm

funkaholik

• Junior

• http://funkaholik.tripod.com/index.html
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2012, 06:41:18 pm »
Nice build.  What type of double DIN stereo is that in the console?  Did you install it yourself and was it an easy fit?  I love the radio delete panel in the dash.  I replaced my stolen stereo with a 3 gauge panel, but now I have zero music other than the sound of 1.6 litres of turbo diesel singing along.  I love that symphony, but my girlfriend does not...

Wicked score on those recaros.
Erik Miller
---------------------------
1981 VW Caddy - 1.6TD 
2005 Infiniti G35 - Vortech supercharged, drinking E85
1967 Mustang - 390 4 speed - for sunny days
1970 Datsun SPL311 Roadster - hibernating...

Reply #25June 14, 2012, 11:39:34 pm

flowmastergfunk

• Junior

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2012, 11:39:34 pm »
The dual din is out of an 07 subaru wrx. I got it for free back when I was installing stereos. It has an in dash 6 cd changer, plays mp3 cd's, has an auxiliary channel and is satellite radio ready. I eyeballed it and thought...that looks like its going to fit in the center console. All it took was a sharp razor and some creative bracketry in the back. I got lucky and it turned out to be a really easy fit.  I had it running to an external 4 channel and then a sub amp running out of the 4 channel's pre amp. The only problem is if you ever have your fingers sticking out too far when you shift you can switch cd's on accident sometimes lol. I plan on making a cleaner radio delete once I get my egt gauge and whatnot

Reply #26June 20, 2012, 04:49:44 pm

flowmastergfunk

• Junior

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2012, 04:49:44 pm »
After a slight break I have gotten back to work on the Jetta. I took a pause to fix up my dad's old cherokee so that it is nice enough to find it a new home. I finally got the pistons in with the help of theman53's advice. I bought some Goetze oversized rings and the  pistons went in nice and smooth. No filing needed. Direct to spec :) I have since finished putting the head on along with the inside drive belt cover and the injection pump bracket. None of my Prothe bolts have snapped but we will see how they hold on that last 1/4 turn  ::) I placed my intake and valve cover on just to get a sneak peak of what is to come. I still need to get an o ring for the oil filter pickup before I put the pan on.

Everything else on the engine looks so clean that I am going to have to armorall the plastic intake !

The biggest trouble that I am having right now is figuring out how to mount and tension the alternator. I am using my 90 amp a/c model with the non-a/c pulley. I did not and do not want to grind down the bracket or alternator so I have been trying to find another way(especially since my parts are already painted). I am leaning towards the approach on mk1ultra.com using a custom bracket and a turnbuckle  but I have had no luck finding a quality closed body turnbuckle that I think will fit my needs. I am putting it on the back burner for now to rest at a simmer.

As you can see, The most crucial thing for me to do now is to get that darn injection pump in so I can put on that timing belt!

And just to ease anyone's curiosity, yes that is a BMW 2002 that you keep seeing in the background. That is my stepbrother's project that has been sitting stagnant for 4 or 5 years. Certainly a nice car but I have vowed not to stop in the middle of my project like him! Don't get married, kids!

Now that most everything is done, I cleaned off my work bench and my small strip of space between that darn 02 and my tools.

I also found a nice little treasure while I was cleaning! Looks like I can build a pop tester for my injectors while I am waiting for my injector socket to get shipped to me!

And here is the heart of the project! I just have to clean the outside a little more before I start. I already have my rebuild kit ready to go.

Also, last time I was at the junkyard I saw an old audi 5000 diesel. It was a horrible looking engine and I pray never to have to work on one of those. All the same, I decided to grab the delivery valves incase they were any different or any better. They seem to look pretty similar but certainly different. The assembly on top is the audi and the bottom is the vee dub. The audi plunger says 622 021 and the vw says 622 273. Any benefits of using the new ones?

If I took as much time working as I did cleaning, taking pictures and typing...I would have been done long ago. Lol back to the drawing board!

Reply #27June 20, 2012, 05:39:47 pm

flowmastergfunk

• Junior

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2012, 05:39:47 pm »
I also just got to wondering if that bottle jack is going to work for me. Maybe a 6 ton jack is too strong? I don't want this thing to blow up in my face!
Any body out there that has done a DIY pop tester?

Reply #28June 20, 2012, 05:47:43 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2012, 05:47:43 pm »
you RUINED that air box.

congrats, you now have a HOT AIR INTAKE..

Reply #29June 20, 2012, 08:20:45 pm

flowmastergfunk

• Junior

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2012, 08:20:45 pm »
Lol don't worry I have an extra that is completely unmolested in the trunk of the car. That was one of my bright ideas when I was just a puppy. My initial thought was to have a hood scoop that sunk in and aimed right for it along with some sort of plug or cover for wet weather. It was my experiment to try out ram air intake...it made sense to me. Besides, when I got the car it never had any of the ducting going to it anyways so it was still sucking hot air. It certainly makes it sound a lot meaner too.