Author Topic: Dub Nasty- The rebirth of the dirty diesel  (Read 31630 times)

Reply #45July 03, 2012, 02:44:45 pm

flowmastergfunk

• Junior

Re: Dub Nasty- The rebirth of the dirty diesel
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2012, 02:44:45 pm »
Well I heard back from Brian AKA Broke VW. That man is a saint! I noted before that his site showed how to modify an 8v 5th gear to fit a 16v 020 but didn't realize the notation stating that the process also applied to the newer 2.0 trannys! I felt like a fool but he was very kind and patient with me for asking a question where the answer was already displayed for all to see. Furthermore, he informed me that if I want to use a 16v pressure plate, I need to use a MK2 flywheel. If I want to use a 2.0 flywheel, I need to use the matching pressure plate. NOW I just need to figure out which route to take. He recommended using the 16v pressure plate because they MK2 flywheels are lighter. I am not opposed to using the heavier 2.0 flywheel, but I am also wondering how the 2.0 spring pressure compares to the 16v pressure plate. I need to compare the weights of the MK2 gas, MK2 diesel and Mk3 2.0 flywheels before I can really make my decision. Once I get my clutch dilemma straightened out I will be ready to toss my motor in and do all the finishing touches!

Today I put on the old flywheel Just to make sure that I had my TDC marks and engine timing perfect. The cam timing was off by a crows hair but now it is dead on. The half of an 020 case in the picture is from my old ACN that I scrapped. I wanted to make an adapter plate so that I could use that case on my engine stand but never got around to it. Not sure if it would have worked out anyways. I also hope my turnbuckle alternator tensioner holds up to the sands of time!

One other problem that I am going to run into is involving the pressure valve in the injection pump. When I had everything apart for the rebuild process, I noticed that the pressure valve looked extra funky. It had a lot of buildup all over it and in the small orifices. I put the pressure valve in a small plastic vile to soak in some brake cleaner(some of you already see where this is going). I planned on soaking it short term and putting it back in with the new seals, but my uncle showed up to visit and distracted me. I remained distracted until it was time for me to leave. I came back the next morning and my pressure valve was encased in a blob of molten plastic like a bug trapped in amber! I ended up popping it apart with a punch and vice and the entire cavity and spring were packed solid with plastic too! I eventually got it all cleaned out and put back together but now I need to get some pressure gauges and figure out how to set the darn thing properly! Hahaha I won't do that again.

Reply #46July 03, 2012, 02:53:24 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2012, 02:53:24 pm »
The turn buckle will last. Mine did longer than my precups. I didn't have to tension the belt in 40,000 miles. The only issue you may have is it hitting the radiator. I made a little piece so the angle of the turnbuckle and the alt case didn't come into play. Kept the alt. lower and I had several inches before the rad then.

Reply #47July 03, 2012, 03:00:29 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2012, 03:00:29 pm »
Flowmaster, Can you tell us what is that standup on the IP that the OUT banjo is on?  Looks like the place to tap into for your gauge to get a reading on the IP now that the pressure regulator is cleaned up. 

Reply #48July 03, 2012, 03:52:11 pm

flowmastergfunk

• Junior

« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2012, 03:52:11 pm »
Flowmaster, Can you tell us what is that standup on the IP that the OUT banjo is on?  Looks like the place to tap into for your gauge to get a reading on the IP now that the pressure regulator is cleaned up. 

I am not exactly sure what that riser is. I thought it was standard on the N/A pumps. I did see the thread where someone had tapped into the side of it so that a pressure gauge could be hooked up but I can't recall what the thread was. Link me if anyone knows what thread I am talking about!

The turn buckle will last. Mine did longer than my precups. I didn't have to tension the belt in 40,000 miles. The only issue you may have is it hitting the radiator. I made a little piece so the angle of the turnbuckle and the alt case didn't come into play. Kept the alt. lower and I had several inches before the rad then.

Did you have your turnbuckle under like mine or did you make a bracket to put it on top like the MK1 ultra method? I took the non A/C bracket and hooked it up to my alternator with two bolts going through alternator holes and the curved slot. I may have to wait until the motor is in the car to see if it hits.

Reply #49July 03, 2012, 04:25:54 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2012, 04:25:54 pm »

Reply #50July 03, 2012, 11:38:20 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2012, 11:38:20 pm »
I think the link you want went away when all those posted by the individual were deleted enmasse. Might be from the other darkside forum as well.  I know what you are thinking about.  I may find the link with little trouble if my brain works for me.  Brain works but pic is gone. 

Care to post that shot again Mr. Diesel?  It was a work of art you know.   

Reply #51July 04, 2012, 12:51:59 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2012, 12:51:59 am »

Nothing special or difficult.  If I did it again, I'd stick it on the other end so that I didn't have to stack two of them on TD pumps.

Reply #52July 04, 2012, 01:20:18 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2012, 01:20:18 am »
I'm not 100% sure, but I think the standoff is VW part # 074130349.

Reply #53July 04, 2012, 09:53:16 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2012, 09:53:16 pm »
So purrty.

Reply #54July 14, 2012, 11:02:10 pm

flowmastergfunk

• Junior

« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2012, 11:02:10 pm »
I finally bit the bullet and sold my truck to finish up the jetta. I didn't even realize how much more money I was going to blow on this project until I started watching it all disappear! Got my new clutch kit, new flywheel and had it resurfaced, new front motor mount, picked up two axles, new taillights, oil, gear oil, new fuel filter and another oil filter for after the break in period, a buttload of paint, some beer and now I am broke. I managed to get all of the missing bolts that I needed from the junkyard for free, so that was a bonus. Here is my new 16v clutch kit and the gasser flywheel that I had resurfaced. The guy did a stunning job and I had it back within a few hours.

I got everything mounted to the motor and got it ready to drop in in one swoop. I pressure washed the car and tranny yesterday and I spent most of today prepping the engine bay and painting. I am going to one more coat of paint early in the morning and hopefully I can fire this thing off tomorrow evening.

Before:

and here is a teaser before tomorrow's battle. I am going to miss being able to see those sexy headers. They are going to be hidden behind everything now  :'(

« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 11:03:56 pm by flowmastergfunk »

Reply #55July 15, 2012, 12:49:57 am

8v-of-fury

« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2012, 12:49:57 am »
Damn, that is a sexy header.

Reply #56July 18, 2012, 10:27:01 am

flowmastergfunk

• Junior

« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2012, 10:27:01 am »
of course the starter was frozen up when I went to crank it for the first time! Why wouldn't it be? I can't afford to get a rebuilt one right now but I am going to open it up today and see if I can free it up. Just my luck! Just when I thought it was over!

Reply #57July 18, 2012, 10:54:39 pm

flowmastergfunk

• Junior

« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2012, 10:54:39 pm »
She lives!!!!!!! I took the starter apart only to find that the brushes were wasted. It would have been a simple fix If I could have found the brushes but I broke down and bought a rebuilt anyways. I can't believe how easily she started up! It took a while to bleed 2 of the lines but after I bled them, I hardly had to adjust the idle to keep it running. I didn't run it for too long because I still need to get a belt for the water pump. Theman was certainly right, my alternator bracket hit the radiator. I did rather expect it, but I have devised a revision that I believe will clear. I have the pieces cut but I need someone else to weld them for me tomorrow. I also finally found a closed body turnbuckle at a hardware store today so I bought that to swap it out. Hopefully tomorrow I will have it running and driving so I can get my exhaust guy to mate my headers to my new flexpipe and existing exhaust! Great success!!!!!!!

Reply #58July 18, 2012, 11:09:18 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2012, 11:09:18 pm »
Theman was certainly right, my alternator bracket hit the radiator

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken on that  ;)

Reply #59July 18, 2012, 11:51:29 pm

flowmastergfunk

• Junior

« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2012, 11:51:29 pm »
hahaha I was guessing the same but hoping for the best. I wish I had more tools for fabrication but as of this point, I can only do so much. Knowing my luck, I was really expecting instant catastrophic failure upon start-up. At the very least, I expected to have trouble getting the injection pump dialed in since I had it completely apart. I am going to wait until it drives before I start patting myself on the back too much, but this was a fairly simple and VERY rewarding project. After a full rebuild, this engine and I are now one.

S-PAutomotive.com