Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: dead cylinder after rebuild  (Read 8286 times)

October 06, 2011, 11:52:52 pm

sdwarf36

• Junior

dead cylinder after rebuild
« on: October 06, 2011, 11:52:52 pm »
 :'( Fresh rebuilt on a TD-everything new + done right. Fresh rebuilt Giles pump-new injectors. But number 2 cylinder is dead.  (crack the fuel line-no change in running.)

New pistons+rings-valves-valve job-even piston pertrusion-the right head gasket.  All built be me in a well equipt machine shop. Sent the pump to Giles-had someone test the injectors 3 were ok-replaced 1. Fired the car up -ran things long enuff to burp the cooling system+went for a test ride. You could tell right away it had a dead cylinder. Cracked the injector lines + found #2 didnt change anything. Bought 3 new (Bosch rebuilt) injectors. Still no change. Swap injectors around-still dead #2. Blew thru the fuel lines-all fine.
 I borrow an long unused comp tester from work. I cant get it to work all the way right (it wouldn't store the comp.It would jump up and start leaking before the next hit. Not perfect, but you could tell the hole wasnt dead) I check another cylinder + it SEEMS a bit higher. Paranoid about everything inside, I tear it back apart. The rings were not broken-the valves are sealing fine-the lash is correct. Nothing wrong with the head gasket. The piston looked a little more "washed" than the others. (like its not firing very good--not dead but not well.)
 Not sure what to do next, I call Giles+ tried to see if he has any ideas. ( i had worries about the pump because it sat over a year after being built.) I decide to send the pump to him to be retested.
 I didnt like the looks of the wear pattern of the rings (what ever came with Topline pistons) so i replaced them with a set of Sealed Power rings + set the gap at .014.

Giles retested the pump-and everything checked out fine. I reassemble the motor-install the pump (set at .95) + refire it. still no change with you crack the #2 fuel line. A test ride comfirmed that its missing a cylinder.

So the motor has been rebuilt twice--the pump has been tested twice-the injectors have been swapped from cylinder to cylinder-but still no fire from #2. Any ideas? even crazy ones at this point will be considered. :'(

91 Jetta on WVO na / td swap in progress.

"VW happiness is having 4 working door handles."

Reply #1October 07, 2011, 12:14:32 am

92EcoDiesel Jetta

Re: dead cylinder after rebuild
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 12:14:32 am »
Any ideas? even crazy ones at this point will be considered. :'(

Buy a new #2 injector line.  :-X

What were the compression numbers? I have a leak free comp tester if you want to borrow it.
Have you done a leakdown test?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 12:18:14 am by 92EcoDiesel Jetta »

Reply #2October 07, 2011, 05:02:27 am

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 05:02:27 am »
Check that your issue isn't a cracked injector boss.

How does your water system behave, pressurewise?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 05:08:54 am by Mark(The Miser)UK »
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #3October 07, 2011, 06:13:17 am

sdwarf36

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 06:13:17 am »
The only place it was leaking down was past the rings the 1st go round. Under 10%. More than I like, but not suprising for a 'wet" cylinder with the rings not fully seated in.

What do you mean by injector boss?
 I'm gonna try an other  set of injector lines off my old motor next.

Reply #4October 07, 2011, 07:15:47 am

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 07:15:47 am »
Injector is married to the cyl head. Guess who the injector's boss is? ;D

Reply #5October 07, 2011, 07:27:37 am

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 07:27:37 am »
Sleepless in New York? ;D

The boss is the threaded injector's socket on the head.

A diesel gauge should not fluctuate, as it should have a one way delivery valve down by the adaptor end. Dismantle and inspect for crud, and recheck compression.

Forget injector lines unless you have a cloud of fuel when running, or at the least a drenched connector.

Even with my engine's ring gaps at 160 thou,and at least one ring stuck in, I had nearly 200 psi on cranking.
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

Reply #6October 07, 2011, 07:42:16 am

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 07:42:16 am »

A diesel gauge should not fluctuate, as it should have a one way delivery valve down by the adaptor end. Dismantle and inspect for crud, and recheck compression.

Forget injector lines unless you have a cloud of fuel when running, or at the least a drenched connector.

Even with my engine's ring gaps at 160 thou,and at least one ring stuck in, I had nearly 200 psi on cranking.

Nah just woke up early. I said change #2 injector line tongue in cheek since that was the only item not swapped. If there's fuel and compression and timing is correct it's gotta run.

Reply #7October 07, 2011, 08:04:24 am

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 08:04:24 am »

Nah just woke up early. I said change #2 injector line tongue in cheek since that was the only item not swapped. If there's fuel and compression and timing is correct it's gotta run.
There was me thinking he'd used a timing dial gauge by mistake seeing as it goes up and down ;D
Mark-The-Miser-UK

Reply #8October 07, 2011, 02:04:52 pm

nathan_b

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 02:04:52 pm »
comp /leakdown test results??

that will tell you 90% of the problem right there/
81 caddy frankentd 02a, 99.9 tdi jetta, 00 golf

Reply #9October 07, 2011, 03:14:35 pm

sdwarf36

• Junior

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 03:14:35 pm »
Leakdown on the 1st set of rings was about 9%. The comp tester wouldn't keep a number + build on it ( 200 1st crank-300 2nd crank-350 3rd crank etc) but it was going to 190 1st crank--so there was comp there.

Water temp was fine--wasnt blowing any out--head gasket was perfect.
 No leaks around the injector while running either.

Reply #10October 07, 2011, 03:32:50 pm

nathan_b

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 03:32:50 pm »
did you have a new heat shield under injector?
81 caddy frankentd 02a, 99.9 tdi jetta, 00 golf

Reply #11October 07, 2011, 04:16:01 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 04:16:01 pm »
Leakdown on the 1st set of rings was about 9%. The comp tester wouldn't keep a number + build on it ( 200 1st crank-300 2nd crank-350 3rd crank etc) but it was going to 190 1st crank--so there was comp there.

OK apart from going on a "Fantastic Voyage" with Raquel Welch inside your preghamber, this test will solve the issue:

Undo the clamps holding the high pressure injector fuel line cluster.
Remove line #2 and the inhjector.
Reconnect upside down from the pump outlet. Screw the injector back on and start engine. Observe for a few seconds and shut down engine.
All fueling issues will be revealed. Don't worry about the diesel, it will be a small vapour cloud which will float away. An assistant starting /stopping engine can help, or pull the stop solenoid wire...
Mark-The-Miser-UK

Reply #12October 07, 2011, 04:26:22 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 04:26:22 pm »

OK apart from going on a "Fantastic Voyage" with Raquel Welch inside your preghamber, this test will solve the issue:

Undo the clamps holding the high pressure injector fuel line cluster.
Remove line #2 and the inhjector.
Reconnect upside down from the pump outlet. Screw the injector back on and start engine. Observe for a few seconds and shut down engine.
All fueling issues will be revealed. Don't worry about the diesel, it will be a small vapour cloud which will float away. An assistant starting /stopping engine can help, or pull the stop solenoid wire...

I'd suggest sticking the injetor into a clear Snapple bottle with a tissue in it. You'll see if the injector is spraying and the tissue will soak up the spray (if any) so you can smell it if you can't see it.

Reply #13October 07, 2011, 06:36:49 pm

sdwarf36

• Junior

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 06:36:49 pm »
did you have a new heat shield under injector?
Yes-and in the right direction. 1st was the bronze? one that came with the gasket set-then a steel one with the new bosch injector.

Good idea on bench testing the injector-gonna try that tomorrow.

Reply #14October 08, 2011, 02:31:53 pm

sdwarf36

• Junior

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2011, 02:31:53 pm »
Does this spray pattern look normal? this is from the pump outlet for my #2 cylinder? I ran 3 differnet injectors and they all looked the same. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0gOuSEbpyI

I also found a better comp tester. I get 350 psi-(leaving the other 3 injectors in. It would be higher with them out.) Plenty enough that the cylinder should fire. Out of desperation, I even tried a different fuel line.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 02:52:17 pm by sdwarf36 »

Fixmyvw.com