Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: dead cylinder after rebuild  (Read 8288 times)

Reply #45October 11, 2011, 05:20:17 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
Re: dead cylinder after rebuild
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2011, 05:20:17 am »
I left a rag in before the turbo and forgot to remove it before starting.
 It ran like hell, couldn't figure it out for awhile.

I feel real lucky it was a fat enough rag to get stuck before making it to the turbo.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #46October 11, 2011, 10:19:35 am

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2011, 10:19:35 am »
There is no way to describe how hard I laughed after reading this...  Karma indeed because I was kind of being a smart ass when I originally posted about your "stash" being in the intake runner..  :P   Glad you got to the bottom of it anyhow..  And for some positive thinking, imagine how much that sock would have cost had it got sucked in there a bit further!  You should see what the yellow pages does when sucked in to a runaway 671 Detroit...

i imagine the blower housing explodes?

You mean turbo housing? If the sock was at the inlet of the turbo, it would have affected all cylinders equally, not just #2. That's why I think the sock was at the output side of the turbo.

i was referring to the 6-71 detroit that Brett was talking about that sucked up a phone book..

every detroit diesel (real ones atleast) on the planet has a SUPERCHARGER.. its a requirement for it to run, since the engine has no native vacuum..

and being that the blower is the first part of the intake, thats the first place thats gonna get destroyed by the phone book..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #47October 12, 2011, 01:12:34 am

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2011, 01:12:34 am »
Not saying the blower wasn't damaged, but it managed to do a pretty good job of shredding paper..  It didn;t suck the whole phone book in, just a big chunk out of the center of it..  The book looked like it had a huge exit wound... There was paper all though that engine..  Valves were jammed open, ports were plugged up.. Some even made it to the muffler.. 

Reply #48October 12, 2011, 07:49:54 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2011, 07:49:54 pm »
wow, thats awesome.. i take it that motor was going for a run-away?
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #49October 12, 2011, 10:23:45 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2011, 10:23:45 pm »
That was the story..  This was back in college..  I never took any of the diesel courses, but the engine lab had both the diesel and gasser engines in it..  The students tore the engine apart and put it back together, and fired it for the first time.. They revved it up and it never came back down.. I guess the first thing in reach to throw over the intake was the Yellow Pages..  It stopped at any rate...

Fixmyvw.com