Author Topic: dead cylinder after rebuild  (Read 8285 times)

Reply #30October 09, 2011, 11:39:36 am

sdwarf36

• Junior

Re: dead cylinder after rebuild
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2011, 11:39:36 am »
When I had the head off last week, all the precups were fine-still tight + flush with the head. **remembering something here--one cup was cracked real bad-so i replaced it with one off another head-a non turbo one. They were identical with the exception of material-the td's arent magnetic. I'm not sure what cylinder it went in though. I looked VERY close side to side with TD's vs. NA's-exactly the same. Clutching at straws here...
 I managed to hit 10 psi boost on my test ride-so my stash probably would have blown thru the port + hung up under the valve.  :-[
 It starts easy+ idles fine-except with a minor shake. while glow plugs wouldn't make a difference-they are all new+ working.
 Yes-the fuel line was changed.
The intake manifold is a gasser-the ex manifold is an unknown brand aftermarket one-that I had to do plenty of welding + flattening of surfaces-so both have had my hands all over them-neither plugged.
 The cam is in perfect shape-and the lash is correct.
 So today i'm gonna try to blow air in the cylinder with the valves open to see it it comes out easy. After that gonna try to put my old NA IP on-just out of lack of other things to try.
 I really appreciate all the ideas guys-thanks!
91 Jetta on WVO na / td swap in progress.

"VW happiness is having 4 working door handles."

Reply #31October 09, 2011, 01:57:11 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2011, 01:57:11 pm »
I would not swap IP to the NA until everything else is exhausted. I doubt a Giles pump checked twice by him can be the issue. Is #2 not firing at all? That just seems impossible! If #2 is indeed not combusting the fuel, its glow plug should be soaking wet. Have you pulled #2 glow plug to inspect after running it?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 09:38:05 pm by 92EcoDiesel Jetta »

Reply #32October 09, 2011, 02:22:16 pm

sdwarf36

• Junior

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2011, 02:22:16 pm »
DING-DING-DING!!!! WE HAVE A WINNER! It wasnt my stash stuck in a port--it was a sock. :-[ :-[ I still had the hose hooked up from the leakdown test so i pulled the vavle cover to check lobe position-i bumped it over to open a valve-put full air press to it-plenty of wind out the exhaust--turned over to intake+put the air too it--phfffttt-BOOOP_PFFFFFFTTTT!. I pull off the rubber boot to the inktake + start fishing around with a coat hanger-+ out comes a sock! I know at some point i had one over the end of the intake to keep crap out!  I had plenty hanging out so i would see it and NOT ever get it sucked in--guess that plan didnt go so well--huh? This F***ing sock cost me about $800!

Again--thanks for all the help! Max-I guess that karma for giving you the hub cap clips was a good thing!

Reply #33October 09, 2011, 02:53:31 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2011, 02:53:31 pm »
a ****ing sock?

That's got to be the worst luck possible right there.. :(

Glad you got iy figured out ;)

Reply #34October 09, 2011, 03:05:32 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2011, 03:05:32 pm »
When I had the head off last week, all the precups were fine-still tight + flush with the head. **remembering something here--one cup was cracked real bad-so i replaced it with one off another head-a non turbo one. They were identical with the exception of material-the td's arent magnetic. I'm not sure what cylinder it went in though. I looked VERY close side to side with TD's vs. NA's-exactly the same. Clutching at straws here...
 I managed to hit 10 psi boost on my test ride-so my stash probably would have blown thru the port + hung up under the valve.  :-[
 It starts easy+ idles fine-except with a minor shake. while glow plugs wouldn't make a difference-they are all new+ working.
 Yes-the fuel line was changed.
The intake manifold is a gasser-the ex manifold is an unknown brand aftermarket one-that I had to do plenty of welding + flattening of surfaces-so both have had my hands all over them-neither plugged.
 The cam is in perfect shape-and the lash is correct.
 So today i'm gonna try to blow air in the cylinder with the valves open to see it it comes out easy. After that gonna try to put my old NA IP on-just out of lack of other things to try.
 I really appreciate all the ideas guys-thanks!

well, then one head was rebuilt with steel pre-cups..

inconel is non-magnetic IIRC..

glad you got it running.. if i were you, i would BURN that sock..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #35October 09, 2011, 03:15:45 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2011, 03:15:45 pm »
I would encase the sock in plastic and hang it off the jockey box door.  When people ask what is with that?  You can tell them that is the most expensive sock you own, 800 each or 1600 a pair. 

Reply #36October 09, 2011, 04:40:48 pm

sdwarf36

• Junior

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2011, 04:40:48 pm »
It will go up on the "wall of shame" with broken dragbike pistons-bent race car parts etc. :P Just got back from a test ride-it feels a world better running on 4. Gotta turn down the smoke a little bit though....

Reply #37October 09, 2011, 07:57:39 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2011, 07:57:39 pm »
It will go up on the "wall of shame" with broken dragbike pistons-bent race car parts etc. :P Just got back from a test ride-it feels a world better running on 4. Gotta turn down the smoke a little bit though....

At least your car would go over 5mph, but then again my swallowed hankerchief was found after 200 yards 3 annoyed drivers' horn blares and 10 minutes under the hood  :P
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #38October 09, 2011, 08:39:13 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2011, 08:39:13 pm »
There is no way to describe how hard I laughed after reading this...  Karma indeed because I was kind of being a smart ass when I originally posted about your "stash" being in the intake runner..  :P   Glad you got to the bottom of it anyhow..  And for some positive thinking, imagine how much that sock would have cost had it got sucked in there a bit further!  You should see what the yellow pages does when sucked in to a runaway 671 Detroit...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 08:41:29 pm by maxfax »

Reply #39October 09, 2011, 10:51:07 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2011, 10:51:07 pm »
Brings a whole new meaning to "Stick a sock in it buddy!"

Reply #40October 10, 2011, 10:24:21 am

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2011, 10:24:21 am »
Was the sock between the turbo and the inlet manifold? Shame you didn't find the sock after you tore the engine apart the second time.

Reply #41October 10, 2011, 11:16:58 am

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2011, 11:16:58 am »
Are you in control of the other sock, or had you lost that one on some earlier car experimentation?
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #42October 10, 2011, 11:40:14 am

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2011, 11:40:14 am »
There is no way to describe how hard I laughed after reading this...  Karma indeed because I was kind of being a smart ass when I originally posted about your "stash" being in the intake runner..  :P   Glad you got to the bottom of it anyhow..  And for some positive thinking, imagine how much that sock would have cost had it got sucked in there a bit further!  You should see what the yellow pages does when sucked in to a runaway 671 Detroit...

i imagine the blower housing explodes?
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #43October 10, 2011, 02:52:40 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2011, 02:52:40 pm »

i imagine the blower housing explodes?

You mean turbo housing? If the sock was at the inlet of the turbo, it would have affected all cylinders equally, not just #2. That's why I think the sock was at the output side of the turbo.

Reply #44October 10, 2011, 03:04:39 pm

J Z

• User+

• Personal Text
    Sweden
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2011, 03:04:39 pm »
In small letters on the the sock one can read .. Belongs to Mr. Murphy...
'75 Volvo 242 D24 TIC
'90 Golf II 1,9 GTD
'91 Golf II 1,9 M-TDI

S-PAutomotive.com