S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Additives  (Read 14410 times)

Reply #30August 09, 2011, 03:28:24 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: Additives
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2011, 03:28:24 pm »
R.O.R.  you stated and asked: ethanol is JUNK, why would they put it in our gasoline? Do you not know the spin that is on this one.  It is green it is better than fossil fuels and there is a huge, and I do mean huge subsity by the American government to keep it all going.  Not what I would call a wise use of the land or the product.

just to collect water and cause headaches?  True on both marks, but do you not know that it keeps the oil industry in the payment loop.  Sure farmers are growing corn to process into fuel and it keeps them head above water.  But wouldn't selling the corn to feed people do the same thing?  With everyone around the world asking for food we continue to rotate the crop from food to fuel so we can use the fuel to grow crops.  Never mind that it is not a self paying propostion.  In that it still requires additional fuel to do the processing over and above the food crop produced.

Popcorn will be scarce at the movies in the future.  Rice cakes just don't sound good to me.

Reply #31August 10, 2011, 11:14:09 am

silentdub

• Junior

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2011, 11:14:09 am »
you stated and asked: ethanol is JUNK, why would they put it in our gasoline?

Ethanol burns cleaner, but it does not have the same amount of energy as Petrol and Diesel.

Diesel has 25% more oil than Petrol, hence the reason it can do more work per unit.

Reply #32August 10, 2011, 03:10:36 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2011, 03:10:36 pm »

Ethanol burns cleaner, but it does not have the same amount of energy as Petrol and Diesel.

Diesel has 25% more oil than Petrol, hence the reason it can do more work per unit.

wrong.. diesel doesnt have that much more energy than gasoline or ethanol.. maybe 15-20% more at best.. i was reading a table the other day about the available BTUs in different fuels, may have been in diesel power mag, or on here, but anyways, gasoline

~110,000 btu per gallon in gasoline
~130,000 btu per gallon in diesel

http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/pdfs/afv_info.pdf

theres the PDF i got some info from, not the one i was looking for, but it works..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #33August 10, 2011, 03:25:21 pm

mtrans

• Veteran

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2011, 03:25:21 pm »
ehtanol is JUNK, why would they put it in our gasoline? just to collect water and cause headaches?
[/quote]

Trye,another problem with ehtanol is that if you heat your fuel/line,it`s has low vapor temp so make vapor or aka air bubbles.Some add water to extract ehtanol from RUG for blend only.
I`ll improve my English

Reply #34August 10, 2011, 04:04:02 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2011, 04:04:02 pm »
ehtanol is JUNK, why would they put it in our gasoline? just to collect water and cause headaches?

Trye,another problem with ehtanol is that if you heat your fuel/line,it`s has low vapor temp so make vapor or aka air bubbles.Some add water to extract ehtanol from RUG for blend only.
[/quote]

correct me if im wrong, but you could water wash gasoline, like bio-d, and remove the ethanol?

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #35August 10, 2011, 07:42:29 pm

DieselBalz

• Veteran

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2011, 07:42:29 pm »
I am coming in on this late, and I have done some googling, but I still have some questions.

First up, used motor oil? Obviously the filtering, but did I read that right? Just dumping it straight into the tank? Everything I seen on the YouTube showed some sort of processing. Any info would be appreciated.

2 cycle seems like a very simple thing. Same there, just poor a bottle in?

Thanks guys.

Reply #36August 10, 2011, 07:44:34 pm

wdkingery

• Veteran

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2011, 07:44:34 pm »
Yeah on the used motor oil you need to filter. I put new motor oil that's why I didn't filter. If i had the filtering device id be running off that by now

Reply #37August 10, 2011, 08:03:29 pm

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2011, 08:03:29 pm »
Easily resolved using the existing fuel pump to pressurize the line...

Diesel may have less energy density, but we get more out of it, because we can run double the compression.

Reply #38August 10, 2011, 11:01:43 pm

DieselBalz

• Veteran

« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2011, 11:01:43 pm »
Yeah on the used motor oil you need to filter. I put new motor oil that's why I didn't filter. If i had the filtering device id be running off that by now

And you are just filtering out the bits. How far down do you go? we talkin 10 or 5 microns? Online I have seen them all heat it but I think its just so its thinner for the filtering.

What ratio do you mix it?

Reply #39August 10, 2011, 11:47:06 pm

wdkingery

• Veteran

« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2011, 11:47:06 pm »
well, right now i am not running it; as i said in a previous post, i just had a half gallon or so random oil from oil changes (sister bought 5 quarts but car only takes 4) just layin around so i dumped them in.

on the UMO (used motor oil,) i learned from the older model ford idi guys that 85% UMO with 15% RUG (regular unleaded,) filtered to 5 microns should be a sufficient fuel. higher RUG %'s in the winter, to keep it thin enough.

i just never figured a cheap way to collect good UMO (not the random *** you find in a shop oil bucket..  antifreeze, brake fluid, goat vomit, rain) in large #'s, and filter it. i mean i need ~60 gallons a month, and i don't do enough oil changes around the family.

Reply #40August 11, 2011, 12:29:36 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2011, 12:29:36 pm »

Diesel may have less energy density, but we get more out of it, because we can run double the compression.

has less energy density than what?

Gasoline, E85, and any other commercially available fuel are much less energy dense than diesel fuel..

Reply #41August 11, 2011, 12:51:29 pm

mtrans

• Veteran

« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2011, 12:51:29 pm »
correct me if im wrong, but you could water wash gasoline, like bio-d, and remove the ethanol?
[/quote]

Yes,and drain from bottom
I`ll improve my English

Reply #42August 11, 2011, 01:02:07 pm

mtrans

• Veteran

« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2011, 01:02:07 pm »

Yes,but mostly we use closed loop for WMO,with my el.valve number 5 I can swich from closed loop to tank so it`s help.
Tips-temp of disel on return side on 20 c outside is 60 c and that is of corse not heated line.
I`ll improve my English

Reply #43August 12, 2011, 02:39:17 pm

silentdub

• Junior

« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2011, 02:39:17 pm »

wrong.. diesel doesnt have that much more energy than gasoline or ethanol.. maybe 15-20% more at best.. i was reading a table the other day about the available BTUs in different fuels, may have been in diesel power mag, or on here, but anyways, gasoline

~110,000 btu per gallon in gasoline
~130,000 btu per gallon in diesel

http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/pdfs/afv_info.pdf

theres the PDF i got some info from, not the one i was looking for, but it works..

I stand corrected. It takes about 25% more crude to make diesel over petrol, not necessarily the content. Hence the difference in price.

Diesel does pack more energy per unit however.

Reply #44August 13, 2011, 01:29:43 pm

mtrans

• Veteran

« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2011, 01:29:43 pm »
wmo has more energy than diesel.
I`ll improve my English