S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: IP base fuel pressure  (Read 2172 times)

October 04, 2011, 12:12:10 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

IP base fuel pressure
« on: October 04, 2011, 12:12:10 pm »
I've read that the IP base pressure should be around 43 psi at idle and it is controlled by an orifice in the bolt on the fuel return banjo. Is there an adjustment in that orifice bolt if the pressure is too low?

Reply #1October 04, 2011, 12:23:56 pm

mtrans

• Veteran

Re: IP base fuel pressure
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 12:23:56 pm »
no no, it's another one -pessure regulator close to IN bolt
I`ll improve my English

Reply #2October 04, 2011, 02:30:04 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 02:30:04 pm »
no no, it's another one -pessure regulator close to IN bolt

Yes ur right! Found this thread with the info I was seeking.

http://www.vwdieselparts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5936&sid=9bc56e0d34f94c6fb695e95a277ca0d4

Reply #3October 04, 2011, 11:04:43 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 11:04:43 pm »
Should be 43 at idle and up to 75 psi at top throttle but I notice on my IP that the pressure goes into the 80's with it wrapped up in third and pulling hard.  I started this time with it at 37.5 as that is a nice mark on the gauge I am using.  It still goes to the 80's which means I have plenty of advance going on.  I head back up north tomorrow and will fill the tank but after spilling a ton of fuel when the hose blew off at 120 psi I am not sure what I will end up with for mileage.

With it backed down like it is the low cruise at 40 mph is so quiet i can hard tell it is a diesel. 

Watch changing the pressure regulator.  I hammered my shut and that is how I developed the huge pressure.  At least i know the seals are good after the rebuild now. 

Reply #4October 05, 2011, 10:40:25 am

wdkingery

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 10:40:25 am »
Coaster i've been readin on and on about the screw you hammered and the pressures, but I have no idea what yer talking about. Care to show me?

Reply #5October 05, 2011, 11:57:02 am

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 11:57:02 am »
I measured the fuel presssure (by tapping a fitting into the return pedestal on my Eco pump) and measured 30 psi at idle. There was a small leak (a seepage) from the fitting that could have skewed the reading a little but much IMO (maybe a few psi's. I will have to fix the leak and take another measurement and also try a diferent gauges that I have since I have no idea how accurate my gauges are.

Reply #6October 05, 2011, 03:41:59 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 03:41:59 pm »
I know there are pictures of it in that rebuild link but the pressure regulator is that 10 mm wide slot bolt that sits close to the engine at the front of the IP.  If you are standin at the passenger side of the car and looking straight on at the IP pulley just behind that pulley on the left, close to the head/block is the pressure regulator.  Read the discussion about idle pressure that is current on the forum.

Inside there are two pins and a spring these are held in at the bottom with a expansion clip spring deal thingy.  In order to increase IP pressure you tap the top pin down compressing the spring.  To make less pressure you have to take the regulator out of the IP, turn it over and tap the bottom pin and spring hard enough to drive the top pin back up.  I think it is best to just keep driving the whole works out the bottom and starting over.  That actually is what was suggested to me and was my fix.  That starts you from scratch and you can put it all back together and tap it down again. 

In the idle pressure discussion the point of using a C clamp to regulate the amount of downward motion you get between measuring it with a vernier sounds like a great solution.

Still need pictures?

Fixmyvw.com