Author Topic: idle hangs (video)  (Read 4548 times)

May 28, 2011, 09:49:12 pm

wdkingery

• Veteran

idle hangs (video)
« on: May 28, 2011, 09:49:12 pm »
Hey I just got a new IP from thedieselstore.com about a month ago... $450 shipped with core seemed great, and it has been.
But its gotten to where the idle is hangin. It'll carry itself @ 25mph in 5th. A quick rev won't knock it down, but if I pull the cold start and push it back on it'll fall back down.
Any ideas? I'm gonna call them on Tuesday as I think I have a warranty
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 09:31:39 pm by wdkingery »

Reply #1May 28, 2011, 10:46:14 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: idle hangs
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 10:46:14 pm »
That is what I would do if it has only been a month.  Let them suggest the fix rather than start turning screws and such and then have them deny a return later. 

Reply #2May 28, 2011, 11:10:03 pm

wdkingery

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 11:10:03 pm »
Yeah every screw on the damn thing has yellow jiffy lube paint on it

Reply #3May 29, 2011, 02:22:53 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 02:22:53 pm »
The better to see if you were fooling with them, Grandma

They think they rebuilt it correctly and set it accordingly.  Hence the paint, break the paint, break the warranty. 

Call and talk to them or get stuck with a dysfunctional pump for 450 bucks.  Not a good ider now is it?

Reply #4May 29, 2011, 05:25:37 pm

wdkingery

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 05:25:37 pm »
Hahahah yeah Ima give them a jingle on Tuesday. Meanwhile Ima check about this 91 NA that just landed @ the boneyard; Ima need it either way, specially if they want this one back for repair

Reply #5May 29, 2011, 05:34:48 pm

Quantum TD

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 05:34:48 pm »
Sounds like you have a late MK2 pump with the idle-up lever that's connected to the cold-start lever. You'll see it on the back of the pump. There is an extra shaft with a spring on it that connected to a second lever on the throttle lever. My old pump used to do that, especially when it was cold outside. And, the only solution was to pull the cold start lever a few times to get it to drop. I later found a massive air leak on one of the return lines, so I can't rule that out as part of the problem. Eventually, I pulled the pump and swapped in an early Rabbit pump I had rebuilt. No problems since.

I'd say spray some penetrating oil all over those levers. It may be that the new seal is making the throttle lever bind a bit.

Reply #6May 29, 2011, 05:44:28 pm

wdkingery

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 05:44:28 pm »
yay this was the kind of info i was looking for; infact i was on my way out (as soon as i research hydro heads on mech blocks) to see if there was something related to the cold start area that could be causing this.. i recently had all my oil blow out my dipstick tube when my PCV clogged up (it's an experiment i've got going; trying to calm the smoke down with steel wool in the PCV hose before it exits from under the car) and it got oil all over the pump and every other thing, so that whole area just got an entire can of starting fluid.
it likely needs just that.
i'll report back

Reply #7May 29, 2011, 07:11:58 pm

wdkingery

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 07:11:58 pm »
well i wasn't able to find anything of real value, except there's some kind of adjustable long stick that goes down to the cold start that looks like it might be a possible solution, but again it's got yellow on it too.. shucks i'ma wait till tues and see what they say

hey does turnin the fuel screw in till it smokes (like it appears everyone is doin) turn the gas mileage down much? i'd like to smoke when i accel now :)

Reply #8May 29, 2011, 08:38:24 pm

Thezorn

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 08:38:24 pm »
well i wasn't able to find anything of real value, except there's some kind of adjustable long stick that goes down to the cold start that looks like it might be a possible solution, but again it's got yellow on it too.. shucks i'ma wait till tues and see what they say

hey does turnin the fuel screw in till it smokes (like it appears everyone is doin) turn the gas mileage down much? i'd like to smoke when i accel now :)

All that smoke is diesel that was burnt.
Compounded 93 AAZ

Reply #9May 29, 2011, 08:41:22 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 08:41:22 pm »
turn the gas mileage down much? i'd like to smoke when i accel now

Well, just how much do you enjoy smokin' tailgaters?  It comes at a cost and with diesel still floating over 4 bucks a gallon I just hit the emergency flasher rather than the pedal.  

To Answer your question in short, YES.  It does depend on where you set it so it seems.  You may get it so that you really have to floor it to make it smoke and then you would not loose much economy if you tender foot it.  I laugh at the honking diesel pickups that bellow black all the way up the same hills I don't.  If I ever see one in the station filling up they all tell me they get good mileage on diesel.  Like 20 -22 is good?  Maybe for them but when they ask about my mileage I tell them they don't want to know, when they ask again and say they are interested and I show them the record of 44-50 they about cry.  So smoke comes out and dollars go with it in my way of thinking.  But then I am considered a little weird.

Smoke'm if you got em.  

Reply #10May 29, 2011, 09:06:50 pm

wdkingery

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 09:06:50 pm »
turn the gas mileage down much? i'd like to smoke when i accel now

Well, just how much do you enjoy smokin' tailgaters?  It comes at a cost and with diesel still floating over 4 bucks a gallon I just hit the emergency flasher rather than the pedal.  

To Answer your question in short, YES.  It does depend on where you set it so it seems.  You may get it so that you really have to floor it to make it smoke and then you would not loose much economy if you tender foot it.  I laugh at the honking diesel pickups that bellow black all the way up the same hills I don't.  If I ever see one in the station filling up they all tell me they get good mileage on diesel.  Like 20 -22 is good?  Maybe for them but when they ask about my mileage I tell them they don't want to know, when they ask again and say they are interested and I show them the record of 44-50 they about cry.  So smoke comes out and dollars go with it in my way of thinking.  But then I am considered a little weird.

Smoke'm if you got em.  
hahahah ok.. i'll stick with my non-smoke gas mileage then.
i figured if i was breakin the yellow jiffy lube seals i'd go for smoke too.

Reply #11May 30, 2011, 10:01:30 am

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 10:01:30 am »

thats going to make your idle hang even worse.. turning the fuel screw up..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #12June 01, 2011, 10:02:09 am

Giles@PerformanceDiesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Junior

• http://www.performancediesel.ca
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 10:02:09 am »
try unscrewing the residual fuel screw, the one that the throttle lever rests against.
Giles

Reply #13June 01, 2011, 06:40:49 pm

Reply #14June 01, 2011, 11:40:48 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 11:40:48 pm »
Can you get it back down to the teeth chattering stage and then bump the timing up a little and get it to smooth out?  Oh and I would love to have that fitting under the OUT banjo of yours.  1 drill+tap+fitting = internal pressure gauge.

S-PAutomotive.com