S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: idle hangs (video)  (Read 4547 times)

Reply #15June 02, 2011, 12:42:36 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
Re: idle hangs
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 12:42:36 pm »
Can you get it back down to the teeth chattering stage and then bump the timing up a little and get it to smooth out?  Oh and I would love to have that fitting under the OUT banjo of yours.  1 drill+tap+fitting = internal pressure gauge.

bumping the timing to smooth it out wont work. these things dont respond to timing changes like a gasser does.. you cant advance it and make it idle a whole bunch faster..

and all mk2 pumps have that out bolt pedestal.. they are great for making an internal pressure gauge adapter..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #16June 02, 2011, 06:18:09 pm

MizpahPAH

• User+

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 06:18:09 pm »
If that is a actual picture of your pump / setup

It looks like the return hose maybe sitting on top of the throttle linkage possibly hanging it up?

or is that an optical illusion?

Reply #17June 02, 2011, 06:36:12 pm

wdkingery

• Veteran

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2011, 06:36:12 pm »
If that is a actual picture of your pump / setup

It looks like the return hose maybe sitting on top of the throttle linkage possibly hanging it up?

or is that an optical illusion?
Good observation! It's not got any tension on it tho. I'm about to make a video so yall can see

Reply #18June 02, 2011, 09:32:46 pm

wdkingery

• Veteran

Re: idle hangs (video)
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2011, 09:32:46 pm »
aight i got a video up now..
keep in mind it started doin this on it's own.. so no matter what i do with idle set screw there it's still gonna hang.

http://youtu.be/M0v3w73SIgw?hd=1

i tried to embed it but it didn't work

Reply #19June 02, 2011, 09:55:21 pm

MizpahPAH

• User+

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2011, 09:55:21 pm »
Ahhhh I think I see the problem

you have a 86 or later pump with Idle boost.

what you are adjusting is the residual fuel adjustment.

The Idle should be adjusted with the Idle boost screw that is the little rod with hex head  going down to the cold start advance lever on the engine side of the pump.

the traditional "Idle speed adjusment screw" on these pumps is actually for residual fuel adjustment.

Bentley says  if residual volume is to high loosen lock nut turn screw out until engine speed stops decreasing. Then turn the screw in just until the engine speed increases, and back the screw out 1/2 turn.

In your video I can see the Idle speed boost rod vibrating like it is loose you may have to turn that in until you start to get Idle to increase then adjust the residual screw again I am not sure.

On mine I have the residual screw backed out more than what bentley calls for and I can adjust Idle with the boost rod. i know I am in range when I pull the advance cable out to the first detent and my Idle increase.
Also you may want to get Injector line dampeners on there before you start to break Injector lines.

Reply #20June 02, 2011, 09:59:06 pm

wdkingery

• Veteran

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2011, 09:59:06 pm »
yay some possible clarity!
the car's an 85, and i thought i got an identical pump back.. but movin on:
 yes ignorance is big part of the problem here; i don't know what half this *** does!
the little hex dancing around.. yes that thing is disconnected at this point; i backed it out too far and it let go, and i've yet to fish it back together.. i thought it was part of the cold start crap so i didn't think it was related.

yesss... i've been told about that already; sadly i lost them. (clamps)

Reply #21June 02, 2011, 10:02:32 pm

MizpahPAH

• User+

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2011, 10:02:32 pm »
In your video if you look to the right of your out bolt you can see the Idle boost screw head vibrating.

It sounds like you have adjusted the full load screw in too much to compensate for the low Idle adjustment of the boost rod and the "Hang" is actually too much "Droop" because the full load screw is turned in too much. I am taking the word "Droop" from the bosch manual allways thought they may have ment drop. but this is all just my "wag"

Reply #22June 02, 2011, 10:08:24 pm

MizpahPAH

• User+

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2011, 10:08:24 pm »
Have you adjusted the full load screw since you got the pump?

well that cold start boost rod is how I adjust the Idle when I have gotten it right I really helps on cold mornings you may want to put the rod back in order before trying to continue.

Do you have a bentley?

Reply #23June 02, 2011, 10:11:06 pm

wdkingery

• Veteran

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2011, 10:11:06 pm »
i haven't adjusted anything.. it's all painted yellow and i think it voids my warranty to dick with any of it.
i don't know what any of the screws do, so if you could use my photo from a few posts back to elaborate on your explanation that would be great.
yes i have the bentley.. maybe i shoulda been reading that to begin with? but i thought cause i had a brand new pump that something was hangin up inside the pump.

Reply #24June 02, 2011, 10:25:19 pm

MizpahPAH

• User+

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2011, 10:25:19 pm »
First you'll  want to find out what will and will not void our Warranty before you continue

There are probably others on here that could tell you the correct way I only know the way I do it.
the adjustment that you have circled in red acording to bentley is the residual fuel adjustment.

the rod going down to the cold start lever on this model pump the Idle boost / Idle adjustment.

the full load screw is on the back of the pump close to the stop solenoid .. stop solenoid is the deal with the wire going to it.

first thing I would do is to correct the boost Idle / Idle adjustment springs and all if they fell off?.

make sure when the advance cable is pushed all the way in that the cold start lever on the side of the pump is all the way at its bottom.

slowly turn the Idle boost / Idle adjust screw in until it starts to bottom out then back it out halfway.

at this point you should be able to use the boost Idle / Idle adjustment rod to make changes to the Idle up and down
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 10:30:18 pm by MizpahPAH »

Reply #25June 02, 2011, 10:27:55 pm

MizpahPAH

• User+

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2011, 10:27:55 pm »
If you cannot adjust Idle with the boost Idle rod then the residual fuel screw and or the full load screw may be adjusted to high
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 10:30:49 pm by MizpahPAH »

S-PAutomotive.com