Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Klaus, the 84 Jetta TD, gets a rebuild  (Read 48751 times)

August 01, 2010, 10:04:35 pm

wolfsburged

• Junior

Klaus, the 84 Jetta TD, gets a rebuild
« on: August 01, 2010, 10:04:35 pm »
We have mostly been lurking, but now it is time for a proper introduction and build thread.

My wife (JessaBug) and I have been tinkering on "Klaus" for two years now, after rescuing him from a backyard of a VW hoarder with too many projects and not enough time. He'd been off the road for years, and we were able to get him on the road safely, if a bit roughly.

Klaus is a factory Jetta GL Turbo Diesel. Mileage is unknown; odometer was stopped around 180,000 when we got him.

Long story short, two years later Klaus's fuel economy is a down to around 30 MPG even, loosing oil, murky brown coolant continuously, and marginal compression (360-400 PSI). So a rebuild is in order.

For the whole past 2 years of build thread info, we have a thread on NC Dubs: http://www.forums.ncdubs.org/showthread.php?t=11115

The engine rebuild sub-project is now in progress!

A big thanks to Apex Tuning for letting us pull the car in on Saturday and pull the motor. Extra thanks to Pinky for helping get the damn toilet bowl exhaust clamps off.

The Northern Tools engine stand I bought turned out to only have 3 of the 4 wheels on the ground, so we returned that and luckily my dad showed up with a spare stand just when we needed it.

Saturday we got the engine and transmission pulled, mounted it to the stand, and got the accessories off. We power washed the transmission and found out it was actually silver! The car is parked outside at Apex for now.

Last time together before the rebuild

Disconnecting the axles. There is a mk1 Jetta convergence!

Making a mess

Hooking up the hoist

All out

Trans before power washing

And after the first pass.

Riding high with no engine

Today we degreased/cleaned the brackets and bits we pulled off, in preparation for sandblasting and paint.

All clean(er)...

Now, when I pulled the passenger side axle, a ton of gear oil poured out of the flange. I'm assuming I need to replace some sort of seal here.

More progress later this week, as we continue to tear down the motor. IP is going off to Giles this week for a performance rebuild. Radiator and condensor going off to a radiator shop to be cleaned out.

Also have been eyeing up an Air/Water intercooler setup. Borrowed a TDI side-mount air/air but couldn't find a good place for it. I think the water rad would fit nicely in front of the existing radiator and condensor. I'm not willing to sacrifice the AC. Thinking of this sort of setup, from Frozen Boost - the "350 HP" kit, but with uprated Bosch Cobra pump. http://www.frozenboost.com/product_info.php?cPath=216&products_id=1034&osCsid=025985bd83ee9e1f18a8b7b051d7e25f

Stay tuned... Bill & Jess

1984 Jetta GL Turbo Diesel, ~180k miles

Reply #1August 01, 2010, 11:44:32 pm

Baron VonZeppelin

Re: Klaus, the 84 Jetta TD, gets a rebuild
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 11:44:32 pm »
There goes the piggy bank ... and the cookie jar.

Gear lube in passenger CV sounds all too familiar.
I just went through that myself on the Truck recently.
Did a thread in troubleshooting section - knew i was in trouble, and was ready to shoot something.

Turned out a PO had put the 1" longer mk2 axle unit on it. And the extra length had ground out the flange cap.
Hopefully that isn't your deal too.

At minimum its just the flange cap fell out. $2each
Use permatex #2A non-hardening around their rim to hold in place real good - might as well do both sides.

Perfect time to install Prothane steering rack bushings right now too - easy access. About $15 shipped. Or BFI might stock them.

Roll On  ;)

Reply #2August 02, 2010, 01:24:30 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 01:24:30 pm »
i love seeing girls work on cars, especially pretty girls working on pretty cars.  ;D

love the 2dr mk1 jetta in the back..

Reply #3August 02, 2010, 01:59:27 pm

Baron VonZeppelin

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 01:59:27 pm »
Bill's woman is probably as rare as his their mk1 TD.
That gal will throw on the grungies and give em he// all day.
Does her own oil changes on her Beetle and stuff too ...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 02:01:44 pm by Baron VonZeppelin »

Reply #4August 02, 2010, 02:07:48 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 02:07:48 pm »
Bill's woman is probably as rare as his their mk1 TD.
That gal will throw on the grungies and give em he// all day.
Does her own oil changes on her Beetle and stuff too ...

thats friggen awesome! why dont they make more sporty models, like her?

and i saw her beetle in the background..

its actually very entertaining watching females work on vehicles, and KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING.

Reply #5August 02, 2010, 02:15:31 pm

JessaBug

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 02:15:31 pm »
Thanks for the compliments guys :)

I have certainly been hands on with this car since the day we got it. Not afraid of a little diesel grime. I'm using this build as a learning experience. To be honest, I don't know too much about how engines and all work so I'm taking this as an opportunity to really see it all first hand. I've learned a lot already with this car, and I'm anxious to learn more. And yes, Baron is correct. I do oil changes on my New Beetle myself. Also have rotated the tires myself (with some help from Bill, only because they are a bit heavy for me to lift on my own!). We don't get too much more involved with my car, simply because its my DD, and well, it sucks to work on.

I love being in the minority of women in the world who actually know something more about their car then just how to put gas in it. I've had roommates who didn't even know where their coolant bottle was and how to check the level!

Oh and Rabbit, thats actually not my bug in the back, thankfully! It just happened to be at the shop at the time (the one in the background is a TDI that threw the timing belt. ick. Mine is a blue 2.0 5-speed [yes, not only can I work on cars, but I also can drive a manual :p]).
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 02:17:19 pm by JessaBug »
Mine - BMP 20thAE GTI
His - '01 Jetta TDI
Our project: '84 Jetta TD

Reply #6August 02, 2010, 02:29:28 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 02:29:28 pm »
Thanks for the compliments guys :)

I have certainly been hands on with this car since the day we got it. Not afraid of a little diesel grime. I'm using this build as a learning experience. To be honest, I don't know too much about how engines and all work so I'm taking this as an opportunity to really see it all first hand. I've learned a lot already with this car, and I'm anxious to learn more. And yes, Baron is correct. I do oil changes on my New Beetle myself. Also have rotated the tires myself (with some help from Bill, only because they are a bit heavy for me to lift on my own!). We don't get too much more involved with my car, simply because its my DD, and well, it sucks to work on.

I love being in the minority of women in the world who actually know something more about their car then just how to put gas in it. I've had roommates who didn't even know where their coolant bottle was and how to check the level!

Oh and Rabbit, thats actually not my bug in the back, thankfully! It just happened to be at the shop at the time (the one in the background is a TDI that threw the timing belt. ick. Mine is a blue 2.0 5-speed [yes, not only can I work on cars, but I also can drive a manual :p ].

pretty sure your my new favorite user on here. you rock girl..

Reply #7August 02, 2010, 04:47:55 pm

smutts

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    ClackClackClackClackClack
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 04:47:55 pm »
Is there any connection with the infamous Klaus Forklift Safety video?  ;D ;D ;D

Forklift Driver Klaus English Subtitles

You can practise your German. ;D

Reply #8August 03, 2010, 03:46:58 pm

wolfsburged

• Junior

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 03:46:58 pm »
No, not really a connection, although I have seen the video. Sometimes I get to be Staplerfahrer Bill at work though...

Anyway small update. The pump has been sent off to the frozen North to Giles for a performance rebuild!

Also looking at EGT solutions. This has my attention for the moment:
http://www.dieselmanor.com/isspro/r3607tr_ev_pyro.asp
R3607TR-PL Pyrometer Kit

Reply #9August 03, 2010, 05:49:23 pm

Baron VonZeppelin

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 05:49:23 pm »
The pump has been sent off to the frozen North to Giles for a performance rebuild!

Request a souvenier Performance Diesel ink pen, they make great glovebox good luck charms and convo pieces. And pretty handsome stylish pen too.
I could tell right away my writing was smoother and faster.  8)

Reply #10August 03, 2010, 06:11:14 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 06:11:14 pm »
I like the look of your EGT gauge, but I think the general concensus here is Aircraft spruce and the 1/8 thermocouple for the fastest reacting gauge out there. Cheap too, the last I looked it was under 100.00 for gauge, light kit, thermocouple, and pyro wire shipped. Libbybapa *Andrew* is the one who turned me onto them and probably knows the most about them.

Reply #11August 03, 2010, 07:25:13 pm

jack's lack

• Veteran

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 07:25:13 pm »
I run an isspro pyrometer gauge with the aircraftspruce thermocouple, and it works great. So if you still want the isspro look you can have it and still get the super fast response of the 1/8' aircraftspruce thermocouple. It might set you back a few more though.
1982 Rabbit diesel L 4 door
AAZ, K14, Giles pump, PD150 intake, P&P'd head, ceramic coated pistons, 2.5" stainless down pipe & exhaust. FK coils

My Build Thread

Reply #12August 03, 2010, 10:15:13 pm

wolfsburged

• Junior

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 10:15:13 pm »
I see that aircraft spruce sells a number of EGT gauge setups... Which is "the" aircraft spruce one of which you refer? They all look, well, very aircraft-like. Maybe I'm missing something, but do they even fit in a standard 2 1/6" mounting bracket?

I do like the ISSPRO color coding.

As for the T/C, aside from the diameter of the tip, I don't believe there should be much of any difference in responsiveness. It is just a metallic junction. I think the ISSPRO R658SHT-8F-PL is 1/8" NPT tap, which I assume means the tip is also 1/8" which seems like it would be pretty fast.

Any opinions on the Air/Water setup I posted up top?

Reply #13August 04, 2010, 01:08:43 am

Baron VonZeppelin

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 01:08:43 am »
They had a thread on here about testing those various EGT set-ups in real world conditions. The spruce kicked butts.

Fatter exit pipes on Klaus will benefit him more than anything.
Lower EGT, lower coolant temps, lower oil temps, higher power output.

They looked like 2" ID or less.
I'd put that before intercoolers and air/water systems in terms of priority.  :)

Reply #14August 04, 2010, 08:42:40 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 08:42:40 am »

above is the CE2-1. Loved for cool down as it goes down to 100 degrees.

That is the micro-1000 from aircraft spruce and here is the part#
10-01478
This thread covers them well
http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=25202.0

Fixmyvw.com