Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Klaus, the 84 Jetta TD, gets a rebuild  (Read 48568 times)

Reply #15August 04, 2010, 05:44:06 pm

wolfsburged

• Junior

Re: Klaus, the 84 Jetta TD, gets a rebuild
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2010, 05:44:06 pm »
They had a thread on here about testing those various EGT set-ups in real world conditions. The spruce kicked butts.

Fatter exit pipes on Klaus will benefit him more than anything.
Lower EGT, lower coolant temps, lower oil temps, higher power output.

They looked like 2" ID or less.
I'd put that before intercoolers and air/water systems in terms of priority.  :)

I was looking at what Techtonics Tuning has for the 1.6TD (2.25" DP and exhaust system), but very pricey! Almost a thousand bucks once its all said and done.

That's the biggest thing stopping those plans. I don't want to have to drop that kind of coin with the other rebuild costs for the exhaust. Maybe you know of a more local place that can do it cheaper?
1984 Jetta GL Turbo Diesel, ~180k miles

Reply #16August 04, 2010, 05:45:08 pm

wolfsburged

• Junior

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2010, 05:45:08 pm »

above is the CE2-1. Loved for cool down as it goes down to 100 degrees.

That is the micro-1000 from aircraft spruce and here is the part#
10-01478
This thread covers them well
http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=25202.0

Thanks for the link. Sounds like the aircraft spruce T/C is much better.

Reply #17August 04, 2010, 10:44:00 pm

Baron VonZeppelin

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2010, 10:44:00 pm »
I was looking at what Techtonics Tuning has for the 1.6TD (2.25" DP and exhaust system), but very pricey! Almost a thousand bucks once its all said and done.

Maybe you know of a more local place that can do it cheaper?

I'm fixing to start beating the bushes to find a good exhaust shop that can work with old jalopies for poor folks. The best shop in my town closed up a couple years ago. Still have one left. And then my Gboro people to ask around about.

My deal is worse than yours, Truck has the even smaller NA pipes.
I need something in real near future.

More than likely will port and polish what can be reached on a stock MK1 cast Dpipe. Then have 2.5" pipe mated below the toilet headpipe connection.

But going to scout for anyone who can make a Dpipe for around $100 or so on a local scale.

the TT stuff has gotten some medicore comments compared to its hollywood price. 2.25" seems small for the money too. Passenger Perf was doing some Dpipes in 2.5 and 3.0 - but quit due to price gripes and low sales. Few of us are able or willing to pay 300-400 for a Dpipe. Theirs were said to be far superior to TT in quality and longevity.

Keep your radar on the watch too - i can drive anywhere for the right equipment done right at the right price.

Reply #18August 05, 2010, 03:27:06 pm

Baron VonZeppelin

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2010, 03:27:06 pm »
Thinking outloud-

Maybe its just an illustrative picture, but the TT MK1 unit looks like it beholds the MK2 form. The fact that it comes with a shortshift relay arm sort of compounds that notion also.

If it was bent more like a mk1 TD cast downpipe, the exit would be further over from the pictured mounting flange proximity. And would probably be no need for the shortshift arm to be included.

That would still put the exit pipe extremely close to the shifter relay bracket / bushings. Which is what i am already facing currently with the MK2 downpipe.

Maybe they just kinda split the difference between mk1-mk2 on the bend or sumpn ? ... to give less performance compromise of more bending. Surely someone would have mentioned if the exit was right up next to the relay bracket like a mk2 TD Dpipe puts it.

Reply #19August 05, 2010, 03:45:25 pm

wolfsburged

• Junior

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2010, 03:45:25 pm »
Found these guys through a Google search. Raleigh based place that actually has a mandrel bender. Might have to give them a call or drop by and see what they can do.

http://www.rjscustompiping.com/

Reply #20August 05, 2010, 04:18:47 pm

JessaBug

• Junior

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2010, 04:18:47 pm »
I'd say we could go over tomorrow before going to the shop, but that would mean braving Capital at rush hour on a Friday eek! But certainly looks like a potential solution. Good find :)
Mine - BMP 20thAE GTI
His - '01 Jetta TDI
Our project: '84 Jetta TD

Reply #21August 05, 2010, 11:25:34 pm

Baron VonZeppelin

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2010, 11:25:34 pm »
x2 Good Find.

Maybe after your stuff is disected, you could run over one day soon with your DownPipe and let them work up some options and prices on a DownPipe.

I'm not going to be all that particular about the 2.5 exit pipes  (regular bends economy grade pipe) but Dpipe needs to be heavy duty. Hope they like old TD's and can cut some slack !

Website reads like they have full ability.

Reply #22August 06, 2010, 10:55:29 pm

wolfsburged

• Junior

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2010, 10:55:29 pm »
So tonight we were able to remove the head, exhaust manifold, turbo, downpipe, intake manifold, oil cooler/flange, vacuum pump, and oil pan.

One head bolt broke, but luckily was able to still get the head off, and a lot of the bolt is sticking out of the block so it shouldn't be that impossible to get it back out cleanly.

The head looks pretty good to my untrained eye. There looks to be only one area between valves with cracking, and it looks very minor. Will have to keep cleaning everything and see what the machinist says. Hoping that we can salvage the head.

Tomorrow we will be removing the pistons, rod, crank, and cleaning the block. Then everything goes to the machinist!

Pictures:

Pulling oil return

Oil pan off

Head

Crack between valves

Stubborn broken head bolt

Old headgasket. A few passages are blocked...

Victory!

More later...

Reply #23August 07, 2010, 12:34:54 am

Baron VonZeppelin

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2010, 12:34:54 am »
Moving right along !
Nice Work - especially on getting the DownPipe off.

That engine was in need of this, if just to get the water jackets and passages cleaned out right again.
If its at all possible - try to take the block to a shop that has thermal cleaning. Its way better on the water jackets than conventional, and they need full attention in there. Thermal will make those jackets look new on the inside.

Even if shop of choice doesn't have it - you could just have it thermaled at one place then take it on over to your selected machinist.

What is the part number on your cylinder head ?
End with 373 T ?

Reply #24August 07, 2010, 08:21:23 am

wolfsburged

• Junior

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2010, 08:21:23 am »
Moving right along !
Nice Work - especially on getting the DownPipe off.

That engine was in need of this, if just to get the water jackets and passages cleaned out right again.
If its at all possible - try to take the block to a shop that has thermal cleaning. Its way better on the water jackets than conventional, and they need full attention in there. Thermal will make those jackets look new on the inside.

Even if shop of choice doesn't have it - you could just have it thermaled at one place then take it on over to your selected machinist.

What is the part number on your cylinder head ?
End with 373 T ?

Are you referring to hot tanking, or something else?

I will check the number today.

Reply #25August 07, 2010, 05:10:35 pm

madmedix

• Junior

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2010, 05:10:35 pm »
3 of the honeys! Very nice. I'm about to put mine through this @ 584k. As for the glow plugs, I would suggest Vince's glow plug pimp. It will save you the inclination in the future of putting a bullet through the block when one of them gets funky. It'll also keep the 50+ amps from coming through the firewall...Fans: I put in an override switch in for high speed (through a ford relay just like the glow plug job) because for one reason or another, the OEM system just goes Sybil whenever it wants to.

Andy
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 05:23:01 pm by madmedix »
'90 TD Jetta

Reply #26August 07, 2010, 05:31:53 pm

Baron VonZeppelin

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2010, 05:31:53 pm »
Thermal cleaning is the newer alternative to hot tanking.
More Eco friendly, and does a way better job.
Any cast iron comes out looking like NOS inside and out.
Can't put any aluminum or magensium in there though.
But could also do your metal brackets and Dpipe and such.

I'm on a cool down break.
Finally got the Canada engines and stuff offloaded from my Truck today, thanks to a friend and his son. I was starting to worry it might start sagging my leaf springs. Its been over a week since i got back !

Also moved the 86 TD engine that i bought from you last year, to where i was putting this other stuff.
We both need a swift kick - i think. I never really scoped that thing over, was just so happy to get it SO Complete. Brought it home and plopped it into the shop and covered it up. Not touched it since.

It is Hydraulic ! Not Mechanical.  :o
lmao @ us

I'd have bought it either way of course. Of Course.
But kinda even happier to find out its Hydra.
Has easy potential for the MLS headgasket conversion and 99 lbs of rocket boost.

Reply #27August 07, 2010, 06:24:57 pm

wolfsburged

• Junior

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2010, 06:24:57 pm »
Another day of steady progress.

Stripped the rest of the block down. Removed the timing bolt and timing sprocket, however it seems that the key molded into the sprocket broke. I will have to source a new one.

Got the pistons and rods out, bearing caps, and crank all removed. Intermediate shaft out as well. Intermediate shaft bearing looks like hell.

Pulled the rings off of one piston and reinserted the compression ring. Gap is an easy 2-3mm.... Bentley is showing 1mm wear limit. Will leave it to the machinist to determine where to go from there, but sounds like an overbore may be in our future.

Power washed the block and got a ton of crap off. There is some green paint showing through under all the oil... If my memory serves me, VW factory reman motors were painted green. I wonder if this is one of those.

Anyway everything is ready to go to the machinist this week, so hopefully will be getting a report soon on the condition of everything and can start making some expensive decisions!

End of the crank

Timing sprocket

Crank and pistons out

Cam out

Intermediate shaft bearing

Ring gap

Block cleaned up

Todd, I glanced at the head but forgot to write it down. I want to say it was 373 E.

Reply #28August 08, 2010, 01:14:28 am

Baron VonZeppelin

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2010, 01:14:28 am »
Machinists always want to put new everything and resize everything - seems like.
For the heck of it you might want to put a bare piston back in its cylinder and see what the clearance is on the piston.
.001 is fresh , .003 is high end of wear limit.

The clearance on the ring gap "might" be from wear of the ring.
And it might be time for a 4pack of kolbenschmidts, but i'd wanna check it myself.

I think they all got the limey green paint in those days whether production line or reman'd. If you go back with it, there is a Chrysler engine color that matches real tight, and its available in spray can engine enamel. Or JohnD green if you wanna brush it.

373 E is probly right. Corey's orig head was 373 E also.

I've seen the crank sprockets on AhausAZ recently, thinking it was 20-25'ish.

Reply #29August 09, 2010, 08:38:07 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2010, 08:38:07 am »
Since it is out and easy to machine you could get a TDI sproket and never worry again. This is especially good if you ever want to go with a serp belt.

Fixmyvw.com