Author Topic: Lets have a muffler thread  (Read 15488 times)

Reply #30July 12, 2010, 11:28:55 am

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
Re: Lets have a muffler thread
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2010, 11:28:55 am »
Annoyingly enough during my AirCare inspection I found out they don't check for cats on mechanical diesels, even if they came with them.  If I took the same car through as a gasser without a cat it would be an automatic fail with no repair cost limit due to "tampering" with the emissions system.  Go figure.

Wait.. so I don't need to weld the old body of a cat around my exhaust to get through air care? Do I need anything there at all?

No Matt, you do not. You just need to pass. But because your car is a Rado are the air care idiots smart enough to test you for the engine you're running not the engine that car came with?
Ed
Blacked out mk2 AAZ Jetta RIP. You are missed.
White 1999.5 ALH Golf 2dr. Low & wide. Rammed off the road RIP.
Blue 2009 CR140 Jetta CBEA/CJAA. Malone stage 2. EGR/DPF/Exhaust-valve deletes. 2.5" open exhaust. ADP Turbo swap. 1-stage nitrous kit. THROWN ROD

Reply #31July 12, 2010, 11:42:49 am

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2010, 11:42:49 am »
Sorry, the people who work there aren't idiots - the program is self is idiotic.
Ed
Blue 2009 CR140 Jetta CBEA/CJAA. Malone stage 2. EGR/DPF/Exhaust-valve deletes. 2.5" open exhaust. ADP Turbo swap. 1-stage nitrous kit. THROWN ROD

Reply #32July 12, 2010, 12:29:44 pm

Vangruver

• Junior

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2010, 12:29:44 pm »
I'm in that process of sourcing out a good shop in Vancouver that can build me all the necessary parts. However after this morning, when i picked up my s.o from work, i backed into a parking spot and hit the stock exhaust, which shifted things. The shifting of things resulted in the piping moving close enough to rattle the exhaust/shifter channel and making it rattle intensely !

i got a quote from Custom Metal Craft, http://www.custommetalcraft.ca/Custom_Metalcraft/Gallery/Gallery.html

However, because this is the preliminary quote for a 2.5 full exhaust including a custom fab'd 2.5 downpipe with necessary flanges for a cat and a muffler, I want to explore other options till I'm fully ready to put that onto my car. that quote doesn't include a muffler, or resonator though.

1025.00 should cover it, that would be aluminized tubing add 350 for stainless

Normal price would be 1225.00

Reply #33July 12, 2010, 12:37:20 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2010, 12:37:20 pm »
 Annoyingly enough during my AirCare inspection I found out they don't check for cats on mechanical diesels, even if they came with them.  If I took the same car through as a gasser without a cat it would be an automatic fail with no repair cost limit due to "tampering" with the emissions system.  Go figure.

Wait.. so I don't need to weld the old body of a cat around my exhaust to get through air care? Do I need anything there at all?

On my last inspection they never opened the hood, nor did they ever pick up the mirror to check for the cat.  "Catalytic Converter Presence" is marked with "N/A" on the form.  Definitely don't need a cat on a mechanical diesel with AirCare, even if it came with one.
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #34July 12, 2010, 12:40:08 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2010, 12:40:08 pm »
I'm in that process of sourcing out a good shop in Vancouver that can build me all the necessary parts. However after this morning, when i picked up my s.o from work, i backed into a parking spot and hit the stock exhaust, which shifted things. The shifting of things resulted in the piping moving close enough to rattle the exhaust/shifter channel and making it rattle intensely !

i got a quote from Custom Metal Craft, http://www.custommetalcraft.ca/Custom_Metalcraft/Gallery/Gallery.html

However, because this is the preliminary quote for a 2.5 full exhaust including a custom fab'd 2.5 downpipe with necessary flanges for a cat and a muffler, I want to explore other options till I'm fully ready to put that onto my car. that quote doesn't include a muffler, or resonator though.

1025.00 should cover it, that would be aluminized tubing add 350 for stainless

Normal price would be 1225.00
Would be very interested in hearing the price for a downpipe only from them, if you have them fabricating the rest of the system anyhow.  Might help reduce your unit cost a little if they were making more than one?

« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 01:11:40 pm by vanbcguy »
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #35July 12, 2010, 12:48:48 pm

Vangruver

• Junior

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2010, 12:48:48 pm »
I can't see why not?

I think the only reason the cost of this particular system is mega bucks is probably due to the lack of demand from the diesel crowd.

They are friends of friends of mine and their work is mainly from the gasser crowd. BUT it doesn't hurt to ask. I've just been busy with work, and well...summer to really focus on the car just yet.

Reply #36July 12, 2010, 01:30:35 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2010, 01:30:35 pm »
mufflers take away boost. that right there makes it worth it to me to have a str8 pipe, plus, im running a VNT, it seems alot quieter than any conventional turbo ive heard.

Reply #37July 12, 2010, 01:51:12 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2010, 01:51:12 pm »
The VNT's are definately much quieter.

Vangruver, if you don't want to drop over a thousand dollars on some exhaust pipe to give you an idea...
i bought all my exhaust piping (just pipe, bends and a 2.5 inch flex) for about $150 at Lordco and i welded it with my friends old MIG welder. Took about an afternoon & evening to get it just right.

add 3 universal hangers and the cost of wire to the total and you're done.

I'm sure a guy on the forum with a welder somewhere near us would do it for much less than a shop has to charge to cover shop costs. I recognize that you're already getting a "deal" but just to be taking up space in a shop is big money. Depending on how soon you want to do that im hoping to find a welder this summer and i'd be more than happy for the practice =)
Certainly wouldn't look as pretty as a shop's job but it's for about 1/8th the cost and hey, it's exhaust.

here is a post from my thread about my exhaust
To recap...

All i have is my crappy phone so ... sorry.
Here is a bit on how my paint job is going.
The hood did not mist very well so i need to wet sand it down, add mineral spirits to the paint and try again. The gun im using also does not like to spray when it is not straight up and down. My keyboard is stuck in french which is being very annoying so this will end here.

Fuel flap still needs to be wet sanded but it looks mighty fine for a first coat.
Itès raining now so painting will have to wait till next weekend.
Ed

Reply #38July 12, 2010, 02:02:01 pm

Vangruver

• Junior

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2010, 02:02:01 pm »
That's actually a great idea.

for now, i am just trying to get the most economy out of this car till I pursue the route of extreme diesel performance. *been spending FAR too much time on vortex looking at HOOKED up mk2's*

I'm lusting over my car, so it's all about the small things to get it running mint.

Reply #39July 12, 2010, 02:05:38 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2010, 02:05:38 pm »
There are actually a ton of users from the lower mainland and tri-city area but they've gone pretty dormant lately. There was a guy in squamish who was willing to drive to abbotsford and bring his welder to work on my car with me for a weekend...

I had my 1.6td apart so many times i can help you out if ever need be :) im a short highway #1 drive away.
Ed

Reply #40July 14, 2010, 12:02:06 pm

spencebm

• Veteran

« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2010, 12:02:06 pm »
"Quote from: arsenicpants on July 08, 2010, 01:22:01 PM
does anyone have an exhaust that dumps right after the downpipe?
ie: no exhaust past the engine bay?

does piping it all the way back make a difference in the sound?
or in power?

Im pretty sure no one really wants to have there exhaust dump right after the engine bay, in turn being right under you. First of all all the soot from your exhaust would cover the bottom of your car in no time and second it is the loudest thing you'll ever hear in your entire life. When I was changing the exhaust a while back on my car to a 2.25" straight pipe I took it for a ride around the block. Needless to say I couldn't even hear the guy sitting next to me when he was pretty much yelling. Not very convienient.
As for the rest of the exhaust the only way it will add power is if your current exhaust is to small and restrictive and you replace it with a larger, better flowing system"

Ha, I have had nothing but a downpipe for 2-3 years and it doesn't bother me at all.  I drove from IN to NJ and it is quiet while cruising (1.9 w/T3)  I have no trouble talking to anyone on the phone or in the passenger seat with a completely stripped interior.  I get some exhaust smell sometimes but no headaches????  I must be broken already to not notice much anymore.  Mufflers suck and these things are quiet!  You guys saying it is droning with a muffler and a full exhaust are crazy! 
Ben Spencer

Reply #41July 14, 2010, 12:18:16 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2010, 12:18:16 pm »
Ben, have you increased fueling or boost at all or are you running it totally stock but with just the factory down pipe?
Ed

Reply #42July 14, 2010, 03:40:27 pm

arsenicpants

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2010, 03:40:27 pm »
Ben, have you increased fueling or boost at all or are you running it totally stock but with just the factory down pipe?

who's Ben?
am I Ben?
Yes, I am, unless that was directed at another Ben

I'm running a TT downpipe with a k14 at 18 lbs of boost and increased fueling

Reply #43July 14, 2010, 04:07:14 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2010, 04:07:14 pm »
"Quote from: arsenicpants on July 08, 2010, 01:22:01 PM
does anyone have an exhaust that dumps right after the downpipe?
ie: no exhaust past the engine bay?

does piping it all the way back make a difference in the sound?
or in power?

Im pretty sure no one really wants to have there exhaust dump right after the engine bay, in turn being right under you. First of all all the soot from your exhaust would cover the bottom of your car in no time and second it is the loudest thing you'll ever hear in your entire life. When I was changing the exhaust a while back on my car to a 2.25" straight pipe I took it for a ride around the block. Needless to say I couldn't even hear the guy sitting next to me when he was pretty much yelling. Not very convienient.
As for the rest of the exhaust the only way it will add power is if your current exhaust is to small and restrictive and you replace it with a larger, better flowing system"

Ha, I have had nothing but a downpipe for 2-3 years and it doesn't bother me at all.  I drove from IN to NJ and it is quiet while cruising (1.9 w/T3)  I have no trouble talking to anyone on the phone or in the passenger seat with a completely stripped interior.  I get some exhaust smell sometimes but no headaches????  I must be broken already to not notice much anymore.  Mufflers suck and these things are quiet!  You guys saying it is droning with a muffler and a full exhaust are crazy! 

Ben Spencer
Ed

Reply #44July 14, 2010, 09:31:55 pm

spencebm

• Veteran

« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2010, 09:31:55 pm »
I got the nasty pump and too much boost (p.s.)  don't put a muffler on your car Eddy because you'll regret it
Ben Spencer