Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: 1.6 cy TD bottom end 1.9 aaz head project  (Read 79876 times)

Reply #180January 09, 2010, 12:17:10 am

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
Re: 1.5 rot assy. 1.6 TD bottom end 1.9 head project
« Reply #180 on: January 09, 2010, 12:17:10 am »
Those are the oversize for the 1.5 right?  if so I don't need those, I am curious, I have an 11mm headbolt holed block, anything I should know?  I also want to run arp mainstuds, headstuds, and rod bolts, are the P/N's gonna be different??? the bore printed on the pistons is 75.98, as far as I know, that is the stock bore, but the rods lack the oil holes that I have heard about.  I am going to get new main and rod bearings and rings, now, you said something before about some complete seal rings good? bad? ugly?  anything else I should change?  Of course I realize that the seals will need replaced, but other than that what else is there?  The bottom end should be the easiest to do, all that is left is to take it to the mech and take like .001 off of the deck and hot tank her to get all of the crap out of it, and to prep her for ceramic paint.  If I take the pistons off of the rods will I need to change anything?  I want to send them of to be coated, can I leave them just like this?  I still have to reassemble and check tolerances, probably tomorrow, I'll keep everyone posted.  Also, do I need more pics? ;D

Kevin
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
you know, decarbonated beer is a better coolant than the stuff you buy at the auto store, and is better for you...... really
"If the boost were to rise then the throttle would remain in the wide-open throttle position, which might be fun, but probably not for long"Libbypapa

Reply #181January 09, 2010, 03:27:48 am

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #181 on: January 09, 2010, 03:27:48 am »
My memory was a little fuzzy, these pistons are, in fact,  overbore, how much is that going to effect my build?  I, of course, will need oversize rings.  *BEN STEIN* Yipee :(  How much will this effect static comp ratio?  This engine is in otherwise great shape.  I'll take some pics of the pistons tomorrow, the block is going for it's acid bath and decking.  If I can go ahead with the build, then I suppose that I would get a little more power from this setup, but not what I wanted.  If this engine is no good to go ahead with the build does anyone want to get an early 11mm overbore turbo longblock?  In exchange of course for another that will work for the build.  I am really curious to know what it would be like to use the 1.5 rotating assy.  I would like to see the dyno results with the same setup between the two, that is if the engine with the shorter stroke can actually start ;D
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
you know, decarbonated beer is a better coolant than the stuff you buy at the auto store, and is better for you...... really
"If the boost were to rise then the throttle would remain in the wide-open throttle position, which might be fun, but probably not for long"Libbypapa

Reply #182January 09, 2010, 11:31:18 am

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #182 on: January 09, 2010, 11:31:18 am »
My memory was a little fuzzy, these pistons are, in fact,  overbore, how much is that going to effect my build?  I, of course, will need oversize rings.  *BEN STEIN* Yipee :(  How much will this effect static comp ratio?  This engine is in otherwise great shape.  I'll take some pics of the pistons tomorrow, the block is going for it's acid bath and decking.  If I can go ahead with the build, then I suppose that I would get a little more power from this setup, but not what I wanted.  If this engine is no good to go ahead with the build does anyone want to get an early 11mm overbore turbo longblock?  In exchange of course for another that will work for the build.  I am really curious to know what it would be like to use the 1.5 rotating assy.  I would like to see the dyno results with the same setup between the two, that is if the engine with the shorter stroke can actually start ;D

there is NO SUCH THING as a 11mm turbo block. not to my knowledge. never seen or heard of one. but im pretty sure they did not exist. 11mm blocks are garbage. if you can find a 1.6 with stock bore cylinders, then a 1.5 would be easy to build in a 1.6 block. 1.5 stock bore pistons are not very rare.

Reply #183January 10, 2010, 02:28:51 am

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #183 on: January 10, 2010, 02:28:51 am »
I have an 11mmX5.0 tap and it fits perfectly into the holes a 12mm tap is too big :'(  that's bad.... isn't it  it is a turbo block, it has the oil squirters, and has been identified by others earlier as a 1.6 turbo block, it is a mech block and from what was said previously is an earlier block. Could the early age account for the small diameter holes?  What to do now? I already paid good money for this thing.  I don't plan on running 1.5 pistons, but, I want to keep it as stock as possible.  Realistically, I want the hydro block with stock bore to marry up perfectly with the aaz head.
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb

Reply #184January 10, 2010, 02:34:22 am

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #184 on: January 10, 2010, 02:34:22 am »
What is the code on the block in front of cyl 3?

You sure it's 11mmx5.0?

Also 11mm headbolts doesn't mean it's a 1.5, it could also be a 1.6.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #185January 10, 2010, 03:38:53 am

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #185 on: January 10, 2010, 03:38:53 am »
I'ts a 1.6, check the pictures.  I have been told, quite a few pages back, that the early 1.6's had 11mm holes and  later they switched to 12mm.  I just need to know what my options are now, that is, has anything significantly changed in the build process or will anything have to change?  I really want to do this right, please have mercy, this is my very first from the bottom up engine build of this nature.  The block is currently at the machinist getting hot tanked and .0001 taken off of the deck, as well as my 54' plymouth block.

Thanks,

Kevin
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb

Reply #186January 10, 2010, 04:05:29 am

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #186 on: January 10, 2010, 04:05:29 am »
1.6's had 11m bolts till 1982ish..   Turbos weren't an option till '84...  Get that block code when you get your black back, it has to be 12mm unless it's made from the same thing as oversized 1.5 pistons...

Reply #187January 10, 2010, 04:19:59 am

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #187 on: January 10, 2010, 04:19:59 am »
got the pic on page 9 it's cy 111 761 look if you want, these are the same thing.  I am a bit puzzled then ??? possibly a modified block with overbore pistons and installed oil squirters?  good? bad? ugly?

thanks,

Kevin
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb

Reply #188January 10, 2010, 04:30:39 am

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #188 on: January 10, 2010, 04:30:39 am »
CY is a turbo block used in the 83-84 Rabbit, and 83-86 Jetta.. I guess there were a few TD '83 models but they are rare..  86 was the changeover for hydro lifters, your block is for mech lifters   It is a 12mm block... You sure the threads aren't just gunked up causing the 12mm tap to feel too tight??

Reply #189January 10, 2010, 07:42:41 am

TurboJ

• Veteran

« Reply #189 on: January 10, 2010, 07:42:41 am »
CY became available in August of 1981, meaning the beginning of model year 1982, for both Golf and Jetta. AFAIK, the CY's had mechanical lifters up to '1984, and 1985 should be the first hydraulic model year. For example, I have a hydraulic CY as a spare engine.
---------------------------------------
Jetta II 1.6 TD 'Project 200'

Reply #190January 10, 2010, 02:41:13 pm

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #190 on: January 10, 2010, 02:41:13 pm »
I suppose that the holes could be full of junk, only the hot-tanking will tell.  When I ran the tap there was lots of sand and dirt and greasy stuff but no metal shavings that I could tell.
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb

Reply #191January 10, 2010, 03:11:08 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #191 on: January 10, 2010, 03:11:08 pm »
If you have a headbolt maybe measure the length and tell us the number, 11mm bolts are shorter than 12mm......or for that matter just measure the diameter of the bolt ::)
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.

Reply #192January 10, 2010, 07:45:04 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #192 on: January 10, 2010, 07:45:04 pm »
if its a turbo block, it isnt 11mm. simple as that. never came from the factory that way.

Reply #193January 10, 2010, 09:36:49 pm

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #193 on: January 10, 2010, 09:36:49 pm »
I got it as a shortblock less the headbolts but I do have the headbolts from the 1.5 that I have, like I said I'll just have to wait till it comes back from the mech.  What I do know is that when I tried to run an 12mm tap through the holes I ran into considerable resistance, and I did not want to f-up the holes, I am not disagreeing with anyone here that they come from the factory with anything but, I just want to get to the bottom of this and move on.  Is it a: a block that according to everyone here does not exist b: a converted 1.6 n/a that has the piston squirters installed c: a true blue 1.6 turbo block with really gunked up dirty bolt holes.  I do not require an answer from anyone per-se, as I said before, only time and a return from the mech will tell.  I f it is, in fact, 11mm bolt holes what are my options? what is my next step?  should I go for a different block?  This is the support I kind of expect from the community not scrutiny from someone who doesn't believe despite my honesty.  I have nothing to gain from lying to anyone here and everything to lose.  I am sincerely worried about what for this means for the build and I have already sunk a considerable amount into it, and I want to see it through to completion.  So, I think that the real question here is NOW WHAT?

thanks guys,

Kevin
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb

Reply #194January 10, 2010, 11:27:15 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #194 on: January 10, 2010, 11:27:15 pm »
I don't think anyone's questioning your honesty, it's just kinda weird that it's a CY with 11mm if there's no such thing......I guess we'll find out when you check it again. ;D

S-PAutomotive.com