S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Starting a turbo build...Videos of it running :D  (Read 101081 times)

Reply #75July 19, 2009, 05:38:10 pm

8v-of-fury

Re: Starting a turbo build and...
« Reply #75 on: July 19, 2009, 05:38:10 pm »
hmmm.. make a piece to go in between? Arb would be the perfect person to come up with a solution im sure.. :) seeing all his crazy innovative ways to get things to work.

A piece that would bolt to the mani, then have the turbo bolt to it.. 45 or so degrees from its original position.. only then would you clear the chassis? dang.. hmm

Reply #76July 19, 2009, 05:52:13 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #76 on: July 19, 2009, 05:52:13 pm »
I have a spacer that I got off of 53 willy's when I buzzarded his downpipe, but it is only about 1" thick an not tapered. Which tapered is a great idea I might just be able to do that, but as that is it still would need to be thicker as the bolt holes are no where near close to being correct. I need to go and see if the valve cover will be able to get on and off when the intake is installed.

Reply #77July 19, 2009, 06:25:30 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2009, 06:25:30 pm »
Flip the exhaust manifold or do what guilianot (sp) did and build spacers to push the exhaust manifold out from the head
Tyler

Reply #78July 19, 2009, 06:38:53 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #78 on: July 19, 2009, 06:38:53 pm »
I will have to cut the intake and exhaust more. I had to cut it to fit now as the turbo flange of the exhaust mani hit the intake runners. Do you think it the KKK K24 will fit upside down if I do cut it and will my downpipe work?

Reply #79July 19, 2009, 06:49:48 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #79 on: July 19, 2009, 06:49:48 pm »
It isn't usable as is. I just tried to get the valve cover on it and without the intake comming off there is no way and it doesn't have studs in it yet...and when I took it off and put it on it was fine until I tried to put the hockey puck in. I really wish I hadn't sold the TD intake that I ported. I could cut that off and cut this one up and weld the 2 together in a different orientation. If I make spacers for the exhaust manifold I will have to refab the downpipe and the spacers would be about 2.5" long to get it to clear. Both manifolds will have to be ground down to flip it and then everything that bolts to it will need fab work again. This pretty much sucks.

I still don't know what to do. ???
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 07:47:25 am by theman53 »

Reply #80July 21, 2009, 10:27:23 am

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2009, 10:27:23 am »
Kinda running into the same problem with mine.  I'm just using a stock A2 gasser manifold, but I'll have to flip the turbo manifold as well, which requires grinding of both manifolds at the flange to make them fit.  Though with me, I have not built the downpipe yet so at least I'm not running into a wall with that.

I'd say flip it anyway, building a new downpipe would probably be easier than trying to make everything fit the "correct" way.

Brendan
81 Scirocco 'S -->Soon to be m-TDI
93 Corrado SLC VR6
'86 Golf N/A Diesel  -->Wife's car
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

"I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess....."

-Red Green

Reply #81July 21, 2009, 01:12:07 pm

TurboJ

• Veteran

« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2009, 01:12:07 pm »
Wow, this intake project has really had its twists....  ::)

I just talked about this problem with Aki on the phone, and somehow it seems, the idea of using the stock exhaust manifold had missed him. Thinking about it, even with the OE intake manifold, there's hardly any room between the mani and the K24 turbo, so there can't possibly be enough room for the Volvo intake runners, if the stock turbo sits in stock position.

This is all very frustrating, and frankly we all would already have wanted to see all the pieces just drop in place, but that's not how it's gone... I don't know who it was that originally misunderstood the starting point, but as the original discussions were so long a time ago, nobody can really remember now. Aki just told me 'of course it won't fit like that', so I believe he hasn't realised a stock exhaust mani would be used,  at the time he was making the intake.

To be able to use the intake, and use its very real benefits, maybe the exhaust manifold can be flipped? Or maybe an extension welded onto it, like I have on my 1Y exh mani? I think there are possibilities. Switch to a stock intake now? Two steps back IMHO. I would very much like to see everything find its course, and this to become the FrankenMotor it's always promised to become, also with a proper intake manifold  ;)
About the breather 'hockey puck'; Aki quoted some people have shortened the connector, and the rubber piece it sits on, and some have fitted a slimmer puck, found on some IDI engines. The valve cover going on and off without pulling the manifold - I think that may be impossible though... ...use easy-to-open intake bolts, I guess.

Anyone with good ideas is welcome to assist, how best to make things fit.
I think us sad, mad diesel heads of Finland, we can sometimes forget someone's using stock parts on their engines  :-[
As always with custom parts, unfortunately there can be surprises, and definetely when people have a different memory of what was the plan originally. The forum shutting down when it did and erasing most old PMs didn't really help here I guess. Some creative tinkering is bound to be necessery at the best of times when doing stuff like this though. I just hope a solution will present itself, so everybody can be happy.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 01:27:46 pm by TurboJ »
---------------------------------------
Jetta II 1.6 TD 'Project 200'

Reply #82July 21, 2009, 03:04:33 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2009, 03:04:33 pm »
i would just flip the manifold and re clock the turbo and make some new oil/drain lines. i like how easy it is to work on these vw's with low mounted turbos.

Reply #83July 21, 2009, 07:30:45 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #83 on: July 21, 2009, 07:30:45 pm »
I am going to put a stock one on it for now. Maybe I will hack this one up, maybe if he wants to send a call tag I could ship it back, maybe he'll throw in a custom exhaust manifold  ;) . I have already a made up downpipe, both oil lines, and like to be able adjust valves without removing everything bolted to the back of the head, so changing the position of the turbo now isn't an option. I got a TD intake last night from my gasser drag racing buddy for free that I will use for now and I might buy the one in the FS section. With the FS section one I will cut it up and maybe make one out of that and this one that doesn't work. I would rather find someone that would take this and I could have another made that would fit and settle all losses with AKI. The Workmanship was excellent and I have no problem with what work he has done except it is not for my application. At this point I will let him decide what he would like to do.

The dumbest part was I didn't even check for fittment before welding it for strength and then porting it...Man that was dumb on my part.

Reply #84July 22, 2009, 12:29:30 am

MJF

• Veteran

« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2009, 12:29:30 am »
Too bad if you choose not to use Aki's manifold :(  you'd be happy with results. The bad part of using custom parts is that you usually have to modify other parts to get it fit. Unbolting intake is 2 minutes job with low mounted turbo, don't be afraid to flip exhaust manifold.
'74 VW Scirocco TD
'86 Audi 80q 1,9TDic
'01 Audi A6q 2,5TDI

Reply #85July 22, 2009, 08:37:41 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2009, 08:37:41 am »
If the downpipe and oil lines weren't made I would flip it right now. It is just too much to change and I wan't the car running ASAP. I really don't want to change all that stuff after what I have gotten into with it now.

I am really hoping that AKI would build me another in 1 day and send it the next and I could sell this one to someone on here and everyone would be happy.

I think this intake would be great for the VNT setup now that I think about it.

Reply #86July 22, 2009, 09:35:40 am

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2009, 09:35:40 am »
If you flipped the exhaust manifold you only have to grind the stud bosses so they are symmetrical and it will fit.  The intake will not need to be ground. [/img]

Sweet!  I thought it would be more complicated than that.  Thanks!!!

Brendan
81 Scirocco 'S -->Soon to be m-TDI
93 Corrado SLC VR6
'86 Golf N/A Diesel  -->Wife's car
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

"I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess....."

-Red Green

Reply #87July 22, 2009, 11:33:14 am

Aki-76

« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2009, 11:33:14 am »
itīs 15min job to flip exhaust

Reply #88July 22, 2009, 04:08:00 pm

TurboJ

• Veteran

« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2009, 04:08:00 pm »
We're going to try to fix this..
Give me a couple of days and I'll see what Aki can come up with, we all hope for a solution that would suit everybody.
Theman, I'll throw a PM at you as soon as I can make that conversation!

Meanwhile, good luck with everything else!
---------------------------------------
Jetta II 1.6 TD 'Project 200'

Reply #89July 27, 2009, 10:58:19 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2009, 10:58:19 pm »
Until I get something worked out I figured I would do something with the stock intake. I was going with everything bolted onto the engine being black but when I cleaned this up I don't know what to do. It really looks good so I am thinking about clear??? I don't have my HG yet and really don't want to tackle the fender and paint right now so I have had a lot of time to do this type of stuff...

I don't know for sure but I bet I took about a pound of material out of that intake and the elbow going into it. I tried to shape the #1 and #4 pathways to the ports differently, so they weren't as restricted. Thinking being that #2 and #3 won't be as biased. I ground all of the ports to match my head ports shape and matches the gasket size.

S-PAutomotive.com