S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Starting a turbo build...Videos of it running :D  (Read 100822 times)

Reply #90July 30, 2009, 04:37:06 am

TurboJ

• Veteran

Re: Starting a turbo build and...
« Reply #90 on: July 30, 2009, 04:37:06 am »
PM sent.
---------------------------------------
Jetta II 1.6 TD 'Project 200'

Reply #91August 21, 2009, 10:35:53 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #91 on: August 21, 2009, 10:35:53 pm »
I bought a house and for the last 3 weeks it has been killing me. 3 sinks, 2 toilets, one bathroom subfloor, 2 bathroom tile floors, fixed one wall, ripped down one wall for fridge to fit, 1 house water filter, fixed one ceiling fan, installed 1 ceiling fan, mudding the walls now that I ripped apart, brush hogged the lawn 5.5 hours, and the biggest pain and $$$ was putting on the roof new steel and ripped off the old shingles.

I say all that to say this...all I have got to do on the Jetta is make a rubber piece for the MLS HG, finished putting in the heater/AC cores, and the new resistor for the fan. I wanted to be driving this thing a month ago. I won't be doing much either until we get moved in. This is frustrating.

Reply #92August 22, 2009, 02:55:57 am

1outof5

« Reply #92 on: August 22, 2009, 02:55:57 am »
I bought a house and for the last 3 weeks it has been killing me. 3 sinks, 2 toilets, one bathroom subfloor, 2 bathroom tile floors, fixed one wall, ripped down one wall for fridge to fit, 1 house water filter, fixed one ceiling fan, installed 1 ceiling fan, mudding the walls now that I ripped apart, brush hogged the lawn 5.5 hours, and the biggest pain and $$$ was putting on the roof new steel and ripped off the old shingles.

I say all that to say this...all I have got to do on the Jetta is make a rubber piece for the MLS HG, finished putting in the heater/AC cores, and the new resistor for the fan. I wanted to be driving this thing a month ago. I won't be doing much either until we get moved in. This is frustrating.

Ya I know how that feels  >:( I've had my caddy off the road since december, just for a quick engine swap ... still not running

Reply #93August 22, 2009, 04:35:13 pm

Pillow

« Reply #93 on: August 22, 2009, 04:35:13 pm »
Keep chuggin' man!  Moving is a bear though. 

Just take your time and the diesel will be fired up soon enough :)  I want to see a dyno sheet on that bad boy!!!

Plus you have a double whammy work wise with all the rust repair you  have been doing.

WTB/T:  MK1 Jetta Coupe for IDI 1.9 conversion
FS:  '99 Suburban 6.5TD K2500, '79 Porsche 911SC, '57 Oval Beetle Project
Sold: '66 Westi 2.0L w/ Turbo and CIS
Keepers: '96 Sierra 6.5TD K3500, '71 C-10, '48 Spartan Manor trailer
"Boost gets you laid!"

Reply #94August 24, 2009, 10:00:53 am

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #94 on: August 24, 2009, 10:00:53 am »
I hear that.  We bought my wife's car back in October, what was originally going to be a re-ring and go job ended up being a huge project.  I was hoping to have it running this month, but it looks like it will be next month.  Oh well, should be worth it!  It's just frustrating.  Especially now, we are in the homestretch but money is tight and there is only a few more things we need.

Brendan
81 Scirocco 'S -->Soon to be m-TDI
93 Corrado SLC VR6
'86 Golf N/A Diesel  -->Wife's car
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

"I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess....."

-Red Green

Reply #95August 24, 2009, 06:11:49 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #95 on: August 24, 2009, 06:11:49 pm »
Yeah...I have had this car for 3 years. It ran for 1 week :'(. When I finally figured it out that it was too low on compression to run that was about this time last year. That is where this thread takes off. I really don't know when it will run as I am headed out the door now to sand some drywall and hopefully paint. IF I am in there this weekend maybe next weekend I will start back on the car...which is at my parents farm so I will have 40 minutes less working time than before for driving over here. At least I got a spot and a car to work on.

It has been so long I think I am going to paint it while it is down. I was saving that for next year. I wanted to do something sweet, but it will just get a nice new coat of factory something blue poly.

Reply #96October 05, 2009, 07:54:57 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2009, 07:54:57 pm »
so I don't even remember where I was when I last stopped working on the car.

I have taken the dash out. Ran speaker wire. Put in a new a/c evap. Put in a new heater core. Refoamed all of the tubing for the vents. Cut the heck out of the center console for gauges someday. Put the dash back in. Welded the turbo oil return into the pan. Took the front of the car off and almost all of the engine stuff so it is pretty much ready to pull...except for a pesky speedo gear/cable.

Once all of that is done I am going to cut up the fender and put one on that charlie got for me. Then hopefully throw some decent paint on all of it real quick before winter. Anybody got any suggestions how to get it done?

Reply #97October 06, 2009, 11:36:12 am

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #97 on: October 06, 2009, 11:36:12 am »
I know some guys that would be happy to do a quick scuff and shoot.  They don't charge normal body shop prices either.  :)  Let me know if you want the contact info.  They are just outside of Danville, near Apple Valley.  It's not a commercial shop, just some guys who do it as a hobby, I work with them too whenever I have the spare time.

Brendan
81 Scirocco 'S -->Soon to be m-TDI
93 Corrado SLC VR6
'86 Golf N/A Diesel  -->Wife's car
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

"I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess....."

-Red Green

Reply #98October 06, 2009, 06:33:26 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #98 on: October 06, 2009, 06:33:26 pm »
Definately will consider that, sounds good for my time constraints. I need to get something going soon...my wife called me today at work and said she found a VW beetle for 3,500 and wants me to sell all of my stuff and get it. It is GAS not a TDI beetle, so now I have to hurry to get it done.
I have a bunch of paint supplies, but not enough time to put together a thought right now let alone paint something.

Reply #99December 20, 2009, 02:54:25 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #99 on: December 20, 2009, 02:54:25 pm »
So I basically haven't been working on the car. Cold and deer season has been in so I haven't had time, and I am about completely out of money.

I cut up some of the fender that Dakotakid Charlie sent me and the one on my jetta. It isn't as bad as it looks. I am going to buy a Miller 250 for 800.00 with everything but the argon bottle to finish that and I will have it for whatever after that. After seeing smoking eddys post about rings it got me thinking and I can't remember what I had for rings in there, so I bought the Goetze set and installed them. I cut the remaining pieces for the seat braket to weld up when I get the welder. Cleaned up the carpet the best I could. I fought with and the VW is still winning ... I think it is VW 3 Lucas 0 ... with the speedo cable and still can't get the gear out of the trans. I can see it, grab it, and wiggle it side to side, but it will not move out of there. I bolted the timing brackets on and have been thinking about doing the water pump, but that is easy stuff when in the car with no IP on, so I haven't.
Something I did as well when it was still warm out I took my junk HG cleaned it up and bolted the head on. Then I loosened them and bolted it back up twice. I left it bolted up for about a month until it was cold and took it apart. I did that just to experiment. I have heard several times to torque and re torque the ARP studs, especially the con rods and I believe it is probably for stress relief. I figured it wouldn't hurt to do this for the head studs with the used HG I had to get them relieved a little.

It has been too cold for me to work on things now since the garage isn't heated. By garage I mean a quonset hut style barn with an opening in the back that cannot be closed. Deer season is almost over and for the most part has been the worst one for me in 10 years. So I am ready to work on the car again.

I will update hopefully in a couple months, but just wanted to let you all know what is up.

Reply #100March 11, 2010, 11:41:47 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #100 on: March 11, 2010, 11:41:47 pm »
Lucas it has been a couple months any progress bromosexual? ;)

Reply #101March 12, 2010, 12:23:42 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #101 on: March 12, 2010, 12:23:42 am »
 :-X

Just kidding. It has finally this week went from 20 some degrees to about 60. Next week it could be 10. If you don't like the central ohio weather just wait 5 minutes it will change.

I took the engine from the farm garage where the car is and put it in my basement at my new house. I am planning on dissassembling it and taking the crank to my amish friend and having it machined for the D cranksproket. Then I will reassemble.

Last weekend I cut my IM pulley down with a carbide burr and then smoothed it up with some sandpaper. I chucked the pulley into my drill with an arbor and got it done.

I have been really thinking about buying a VNT. I think it is a 15 and don't think it will be big enough for what I want, but I still want it.

I bought a Miller 250 that hadn't had 10 spools of wire ran through it in 5 years with a full spool of .035" wire and a cart. Now I can finish the body work and seat brackets. Well as soon as I find a tank. They are about 245 dollars for what I want...did I mention that the welder was only 800.00 :D

I really need to make sure the heater system is working and then get this thing going. I would like to paint it too.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 12:29:04 am by theman53 »

Reply #102March 12, 2010, 12:25:53 am

8v-of-fury

« Reply #102 on: March 12, 2010, 12:25:53 am »
cosmetic comes last Lucas ;)

get it runnin and stoppin and drive it like you stole it. then worry bout rust/paint later. its the only way to do it without going bankrupt lol

Reply #103March 12, 2010, 12:35:12 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #103 on: March 12, 2010, 12:35:12 am »
Have you seen the pics of this thing? It wasn't so much of making it look nice as it was not falling out through the floor  :o  I just know how I am and once it goes down the road it will be sooo much harder for me to put it in to paint. Plus if I do it like I did the truck doors I can probably get it all ready and shoot it in the evening and it will be ready to go the next day.

I still forgot about brakes and exhaust...I can run just my downpipe for a little bit...I knew I shouldn't have fixed the hole in the floor until after I had brakes 8)

Reply #104March 13, 2010, 08:46:42 am

macka

• Veteran

« Reply #104 on: March 13, 2010, 08:46:42 am »
That hole in the floor is a pitch tuning speedometer bro  8) the faster your car goes, the higher it whistles  ;D
Quote from: Vincent Walden
I do know that I drive torque,  while listening to my friends prattle on about horsepower.

Fixmyvw.com