Author Topic: open to sugestions for custom 1.6ltd rebuild  (Read 15997 times)

May 15, 2005, 03:13:22 am

dirtytom

• User+

open to sugestions for custom 1.6ltd rebuild
« on: May 15, 2005, 03:13:22 am »
just to start off here is what I'm starting with. I have a 1985 vw qauntum 1.6l td that was put out to rot away. I have an 1977 vw bus that the engine has all but exploded and want to put the quantums td into it. I'm going to get the engine adapter from KEP and I'm going to use the cooling system from the quantum. The td is in dier need of rebiulding but still barely runs(the ray of hope). I was considering of having the fuel distributer updated with a 1.9l td cam plate and using gtd injectors and installing an inter cooler posibly with cooling fan on th intercooler, also looking at doing a turbo like  fspGTD did on his convertion using a tdi turbo. The only reel stipulations I have are realiability ease of rutine maintence and trying to keep my costs to a minimal. I know enough about vw diesel to get myself into trouble and sometimes back out plus I have a good manual. I am pirty mecanicly inclined and am ok at fabrocating. I was also wundering if anybody knows about puting 1.9l td pistons in and if it would be worth the extra efert.Feel free to give any sugestion that might help or words of advice. Thanks.

It is sad when you smell smoke while driving and you think" some poor SOB must have an engine fire. Oh well sucks to be them" only to notice smoke billowing out of your car and be over heard saying "not again".

Reply #1May 15, 2005, 08:46:18 am

QuickTD

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 08:46:18 am »
If you are trying to keep costs low, 1.9TD pistons are not the way to go. I haven't been able to find them for less than $250CDN each... The 1.9TD pistons won't bolt in either, the piston pins are 2mm larger than the 1.6 pins. You will need some custom machining on the connecting rods to make it work.

Reply #2May 15, 2005, 02:24:01 pm

dirtytom

• User+

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005, 02:24:01 pm »
Thanks QuickTD,
Your advice is welcome. You probably saved me one heck of a head acke trying to figure out sorces and how I was going to try and rig it. What do you think about the rest of what I was thinking of doing. I've been doing a lot of reading and that is the only things that that I could come up with. I've heard about 1.9l td metal head gaskit think it's a good idea.  

I know the rest of you have some opinions. feel free to through them out there. I'm just trying to learn from those who know more than me( witch is most of you)  . Thanks
It is sad when you smell smoke while driving and you think" some poor SOB must have an engine fire. Oh well sucks to be them" only to notice smoke billowing out of your car and be over heard saying "not again".

Reply #3May 16, 2005, 01:53:48 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
metal head gasket
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 01:53:48 am »
I've heard about 1.9l td metal head gaskit think it's a good idea.

I think that's intened for heads with the hydrolic lifters.
 Yours should have a solid lifters.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #4May 16, 2005, 11:45:22 am

dirtytom

• User+

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 11:45:22 am »
I found someone who is selling a auidi 5 cylinder td. It's the same one that vw used in urope. Does any body no if it has the same bell housing as the 4 cylinder vw td or is itdifferant. I'm just trying to figure out if it would be worth using the 5 cylinder or the 4 cylinder.

Reply #5June 03, 2005, 04:24:58 pm

entuzijast

• Junior

• http://www.geof.hr/~imalovic
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 04:24:58 pm »
Quote from: "dirtytom"
I found someone who is selling a auidi 5 cylinder td. It's the same one that vw used in urope. Does any body no if it has the same bell housing as the 4 cylinder vw td or is itdifferant. I'm just trying to figure out if it would be worth using the 5 cylinder or the 4 cylinder.

I think it is the same engine just a cylinder more..Here you can find specs http://www.4crawler.com
Excuse me on my bad English

Reply #6June 03, 2005, 06:25:50 pm

greggearhead

• Junior

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005, 06:25:50 pm »
If it is anything like the gas versions of the 4 & 5 cylinders, the bellhousings are totally different.  Sorry.  Otherwise I would be thinking about a Quantum Syncro/Audi 4000Q trans in my Dasher...

On the upgrades, if you want to keep it reliable and cheap, I think a good rebuild, mild port and polish around  the valve throat area, and do the simple pump, boost & intercooler mods that are talked about on here, and I think you will be good to go.
Caddy (TD Project), Caddy 1.6D, etc etc.

Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection

Reply #7June 05, 2005, 03:32:54 pm

moTthediesel

• Junior

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2005, 03:32:54 pm »
The 5 pot engine bell housing bolt pattern is totaly different then the 4, sorry.
Here's an idea for you though -- that 5 cly Audi diesel will bolt right into a Porsche 924/944  8)
moT
'82 LandCruiser Diesel Conversion
4Cylinder 3B/KKKturbo/AudiIntercooler(gone, BNF)
'92 Dodge/Cummins D350 Getrag Dually
356 w/Quantum 1.6TD (73 mpg!)
'85 BMW 524td (Der Komisar) 
'00 Jetta TDI 5spd

Reply #8June 05, 2005, 04:31:27 pm

greggearhead

• Junior

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2005, 04:31:27 pm »
Heck, I have a Porsche 924S I am selling/parting because of a rod knock.  $1200 complete.
Caddy (TD Project), Caddy 1.6D, etc etc.

Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection

Reply #9October 30, 2005, 03:15:40 pm

ruben

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2005, 03:15:40 pm »
Hi there!

i love the idea of rear wheel drive and diesel. I like to know if the 6 cilinder volvo engine also fits in the 924 or 944, 'specially the bell housing. Because the 5 cilinder is not easy to find around here.

Grtz,

Ruben

Reply #10October 30, 2005, 05:22:15 pm

moTthediesel

• Junior

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2005, 05:22:15 pm »
Ruben,
Not absolutely sure, but I'm thinking that the 6 pot Volvo does share the same bolt pattern as the Audi 5. Pretty long engine for the 924, but you could probably make it fit.
V. Cool Project!
moT
'82 LandCruiser Diesel Conversion
4Cylinder 3B/KKKturbo/AudiIntercooler(gone, BNF)
'92 Dodge/Cummins D350 Getrag Dually
356 w/Quantum 1.6TD (73 mpg!)
'85 BMW 524td (Der Komisar) 
'00 Jetta TDI 5spd

Reply #11October 30, 2005, 05:33:52 pm

ruben

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2005, 05:33:52 pm »
Hi moTthediesel!

could it b i read u had similar project with an 5 cyl diesel swapping into a 924?

Grtz

Reply #12October 30, 2005, 06:24:17 pm

dirtytom

• User+

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2005, 06:24:17 pm »
well sorry it took me so long to get back to you all, got married and had to put the van on the back burner. here is the latest on the van.
I got my hands on a 1985 quantum 1.6l td. and a new adapter kit from kep. the quantum I'm using has ac that I'm going to put under the dash of the van. the ac compressor on thr engine is on the right side of the block and after buying a vnt turbo from a 2002 golf tdi I found that the compressor housing goes rite where the ac bracket goes. so I got a new vnt turbo that I will have to make an adapter to my stock manifold. :wink: . I have a set of gtd noslles for my injetors. I have to make a new output pipe on the back of the head for the water heater in the ac system. when I pulled the spout off of the back of the head I noticed a line in the casting on the water jacket. upon ferther looking I found that the line was a new crack wraping around the exhaust port :shock:  I have a spare engine that was given to me that I was going to turn into a diesel generator that I can steal the head from :twisted:
it is a na diesel instead of a TD. I am going to get an inter cooler and maybe another oil cooler. I will post some pics when I get a chane although I'm not to sure of how to. have to go for now but will post again real soon

Reply #13October 30, 2005, 07:48:35 pm

jackbombay

• Veteran

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2005, 07:48:35 pm »
Quote from: "dirtytom"
I will post some pics when I get a chane although I'm not to sure of how to.

You need ot go to www.imageshack.com (or www.photobucket.com, there a re several free photo hosting services around the web) and start a free account, then upload your pictures there, then put the address thay give you inbetween image tags, like this, except no comma [,img][/,img] If I did not put the comma there you would not be able to see th etags as the message board would try to load  apic that did not exist. Hope this helps.

Reply #14October 30, 2005, 08:40:38 pm

dirtytom

• User+

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2005, 08:40:38 pm »

this is what my van looked like before I brought it to nmy budys for the swap I'll take some pics tomarrow of all the stuff

here are some pic's of the turbo I'm going to use