Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: open to sugestions for custom 1.6ltd rebuild  (Read 15996 times)

Reply #45January 08, 2006, 09:01:22 pm

iggi

• User+

open to sugestions for custom 1.6ltd rebuild
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2006, 09:01:22 pm »
The full engine/tranny/suspension/subframe transplant is interesting.
But it seems to create more problems to solve than a standard engine swap.
You'll have spring rates, shocks, track width, ebrake and a bunch of other stuff to sort out.  I can't see adapting the front of a jetta/golf to work in the back of bus being easy.

Good luck with it whichever swap you decide to do.
And thanks for posting your progress and the pics.
'97 Jetta GL TD
'87 Vanagon Westy

Reply #46January 09, 2006, 01:14:37 am

dirtytom

• User+

open to sugestions for custom 1.6ltd rebuild
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2006, 01:14:37 am »
well I don't think that I will do the swap and not because of the dificults in it. I would not change out the suspension. My idea was to mount the engine and tranny in the normal layout (IE engine on the right tranny on the left.) I would mount it so the pickup for the axles on the tranny would match the location of the old bus trany there looks like there is enough space so the suspention would clear the engine and trany. Relocate the fuel tank since it would be where the engine needs to be. and make custom shift cables for the trany since it was cable operated and not linkage.
the reason that I don't think that I will do it that way is because the donor car I got is a 1996 passat tdi that was in a front end accident and I would normaly not care about choping the car up but the inside is realy nice and the car is in over all good shape so if I can get the new fenders,hood and rad/suport ect.ect. it would be a nicer car to drive that my 1999 jetta tdi and it is so much more roomy. and it has half the mileage. only 80K compaired to 200k on the jetta but I don't think I could cut into the jetta ether so now I got myself into another progect. Oh well at least it is better than doing drugs and my wife doesn't get mad because I'm not aroud other wemon :wink:
It is sad when you smell smoke while driving and you think" some poor SOB must have an engine fire. Oh well sucks to be them" only to notice smoke billowing out of your car and be over heard saying "not again".