Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: open to sugestions for custom 1.6ltd rebuild  (Read 16000 times)

Reply #30November 04, 2005, 03:18:20 pm

addautomotive

open to sugestions for custom 1.6ltd rebuild
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2005, 03:18:20 pm »
I was looking at a similar conversion about a year ago... I was considering having a small radiator on either side of the engine compartment, and scoops by the grills that are there already. I think someone has a setup like that over on the shoptalkforums.

What are you going to use for a starter? Gear reduction?

Reply #31November 04, 2005, 03:23:52 pm

addautomotive

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2005, 03:23:52 pm »
Some pictures of side cooling here:

http://www.birkmamero.de/news.htm

Reply #32November 04, 2005, 05:56:08 pm

dirtytom

• User+

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2005, 05:56:08 pm »
I liked the idea of having the rads near the engine for convienence but I don't like the idea of having the rads dump heat into the engine bay. Those who have had an air cool can atest to the fack that you want heat away from the engine bay. The old set up I had was a stock engine with twin 2 barelle dellortos and a high flow exhaust and I was always over heating and the oil cooler I had didn, help much. Also the quantum rad is a good size and I want to mount the ac condenser with the rad for convinence. :wink: . I am going to use my stock van starter for now but when I get a chane to rebuild the motor I'm going to have to upgrade my starter.
addautomotive I love that site you posted lots of great vans I just wish I could read it to see all they have done.
here is a web site that sells actuators that mite work on the vnt with out modifiing
http://www.turbotechnics.com/docs/components/t2actuator.htm
It is sad when you smell smoke while driving and you think" some poor SOB must have an engine fire. Oh well sucks to be them" only to notice smoke billowing out of your car and be over heard saying "not again".

Reply #33November 05, 2005, 01:08:34 am

moTthediesel

• Junior

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2005, 01:08:34 am »
Sorry, not to highjack the thread, but:

Not as cool as putting a diesel in a 356!!! Got pics?!?!?

I'm hunting for a 911 "roller" with the same thing in mind. Looking to buy next summer. Have an adapter plate hanging on my garage wall.

How are you hoing to handle cooling?

See my CarDomain site http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2145693/1

Your project sounds great too!
I'm sure you know that 912's are nearly the same, and are often much cheaper to buy, especialy after that poor overtaxed pushrod 4 gives up the ghost.

For cooling, I'm planning to mount a VW Fox rad next to the engine in a sealed fiberglass duct with a scoop down behind the rear axle, with an electric fan exhausting out the engine lid grills. The idea is to insure that the air that goes through the core is going to be at ambiant temp, not already heated by the engine.

Re: Kennedy adapter plates -- Bear in mind that they make those plates in a choice of 3 mounting angles, straight up, 15 degrees ala Rabbit/Jetta/Quantum, or 50 degrees ala Vanagon.

moT
'82 LandCruiser Diesel Conversion
4Cylinder 3B/KKKturbo/AudiIntercooler(gone, BNF)
'92 Dodge/Cummins D350 Getrag Dually
356 w/Quantum 1.6TD (73 mpg!)
'85 BMW 524td (Der Komisar) 
'00 Jetta TDI 5spd

Reply #34November 07, 2005, 10:58:33 pm

dirtytom

• User+

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2005, 10:58:33 pm »
ok update time.
using angle iron and flat stock I made a sqaure tube to match the manifold out put and tow flangs. I welded them together and found that it put the turbo into the engine mount so I cut an inch out of the middle to give the turbo room and welded it back together. I took me a wile to clean up the mounting holes and wile it was still apart I welded up the inside corners on the turbo end to match the round input and ground it smooth.
when I went to bolt the turbo to the manafold I realized the most horrible thing. I welded it back together 180 degres reversed and the turbo was facing backwords. :oops:  So I had to cut it apart again and reweld it back together.

finaly I got it welded right  :evil:
It is sad when you smell smoke while driving and you think" some poor SOB must have an engine fire. Oh well sucks to be them" only to notice smoke billowing out of your car and be over heard saying "not again".

Reply #35November 07, 2005, 11:10:50 pm

dirtytom

• User+

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2005, 11:10:50 pm »
I opened up the turbo actuator and stated geting it ready to work on pressure instead of vacum.

I went ahead and put some spot welds in the bottom of the can to keep the spring travling. when I first held the spring in there I noticed that it could slide side to side and figured that would end up killing the diafram so I made a sort of seat.

Wile I had the can open I figured it would be cool to see the inside of a turbo that hasn't been used yet so here it is.

and here is how the turbo sits on the motor.

my wife just had to take a pic of me after having my fun for the day.

Reply #36November 08, 2005, 12:06:47 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2005, 12:06:47 pm »
Great progress, thanks for the update!  That's cool you use angle iron to make a tube.  The spot welds to keep the spring positioned is a nice innovation.  You using a MIG for welding with oxy-acetylene for the rough cutting?

Keep up the good work! :P
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #37November 08, 2005, 12:44:08 pm

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2005, 12:44:08 pm »
i'm following along over here, great work so far!

keep us posted with lots of pics. i'm planning to use a KEP adaptor as well.

Reply #38November 08, 2005, 11:25:47 pm

dirtytom

• User+

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2005, 11:25:47 pm »
played some more on it today. Pulled the ac system from the donor quantum. I had a pair of Z28 seats that I installed. The drivers is electric  :wink: . I am using a good MIG for welding but not a torch for cutting. A few years ago I bout a plasma cutter for a progect and that is what I am using for the rough cuts and I have a 4" grinder with a crap load of cut off disks.

Reply #39December 05, 2005, 07:18:08 pm

iggi

• User+

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2005, 07:18:08 pm »
Cool conversion Tom!

I've got a '79 Westy I'm planning to convert to diesel.
I'd really like to see some pics of your engine mounted, especially any showing the motor mount mods mods/fabrication you've done.

Have you cut up the front for your rad yet?  I've been thinking on rad placement a lot and figure I'll mount two rads in the engine compartment.
I've got some decent pics of a couple different bus's done that way if you'd like to see them.

Cheers,
'97 Jetta GL TD
'87 Vanagon Westy

Reply #40December 18, 2005, 10:24:15 am

dirtytom

• User+

« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2005, 10:24:15 am »
well it has been a wile since I could play on the van. here is the latest. I have cut the nose out of the van and welded in luvers. I have cut sections of the front out of the floor and removed the bolcky air box in the front for fresh air and started to make an air dam for the radiator. some thing has come up where I have to get it out of my friends garage so I put the old turbo back on to save time but I still will not be able to get it running before I leave town monday to bring my wife to virginai for xmas.
On the plus side, I have wanted to put a tdi in the van from the start but they are so hard to geta hold of. I found a wrecked tdi in tennesse and will be picing it up before xmas. the more I whent through the quantums engine the more broken bolts and striped out holes I found so this sould work out fpr the best. I haven't had time to get pic's lately but when I move the van today I will try to take some pic and up load them for you all to see.

Reply #41December 18, 2005, 04:19:23 pm

JettaPeter

« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2005, 04:19:23 pm »
I remember many years ago a friend of mine in Texas made part of his living by installing the early Toyota 4 cyl motor with two small rads on each side of the rear of the VW Micro-bus and it worked great ...the rads were located close to the air vents...recently on a trip to Bracebridge Ont. I saw a type2 van with the jetta motor and the same jetta rad was placed in front of the tranny almost flush with the floor, but having one end hang down a  little with some extra small scopes to direct the air in the front while the rest of the rad around the perimeter is boxed in..( I guess in this case a picture is worth a thousand words) you would not notice anything different about this van... he also had one flush mounted pullthru fan...when talking to him, I also found out that this method has been done in this area for a long time by several people and that he just came back from Utah and loved the way it pulled when needed with no problems....

Reply #42January 01, 2006, 06:37:16 pm

dirtytom

• User+

« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2006, 06:37:16 pm »
well here is the latest :(
The guy I was buying the wrecked jetta from as the donor called me the day before my 900 mile drive to pic it up to let me know that he sold it to someone localy. so I'm still going to use the quantums motor. I am going to pull the motor back out and do a quick rebuild when I get a chance since I am going to have to go ahead and use it. I was looking forward to using a tdi but the 1.6l td is still a good engine and it will be easyer to install.
Here is a pic of the front of the van

here is a pic of the engine in the van

this is hard to see but if you look closely through the stearing wheel you can see that the insterment cluster is out and you can see light through the luvers in the front

Reply #43January 04, 2006, 01:03:43 pm

dirtytom

• User+

« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2006, 01:03:43 pm »
AND SO THE PLANS CHANGE AGAIN :oops:
I have a lead on a tdi And the guy said he would hold it for me :lol:
I ran across this page here and am torn between witch way to install the motor. http://bb.bbboy.net/vwengineconversions-viewthread?forum=14&thread=19
I already have the adapter to mate my tranny to the engine but the other setup would give me a better center ov gravity and a 5 speed tranny  :twisted:

Reply #44January 04, 2006, 02:52:35 pm

dirtytom

• User+

« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2006, 02:52:35 pm »
I will have to ree do the shifter linkage ether way if I don't use my stock tranny. If the donor car I'm geting has cruse cont. the pickup is in the tranny and I could swap out the whole insterment cluster to use the gauges, tack and speedo. the cpu would think it was in a passat and not a transporter. If I don't use the tranny I will have some clearance issuse from the back of the block and the gas tank(they both want to be in the same place) and I will have to come up with some way to get the insterments from the donor car to work with the cpu and mount in the dash.I would try to not have to use the donors suspension but connect the existing suspension to the tranny. lot of work but would be worth it in the end.

S-PAutomotive.com