Author Topic: Dynoed my NA Golf with a Giles pump!! Dyno POSTED  (Read 36943 times)

Reply #60June 24, 2008, 01:10:11 am

jackbombay

• Veteran

Dynoed my NA Golf with a Giles pump!! Dyno POSTED
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2008, 01:10:11 am »
Quote from: "jackbombay"
How much smoke?

Bump?

Reply #61June 24, 2008, 08:27:14 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2008, 08:27:14 am »
two thumbs up yo, now go do a quarter mile run and race some people
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #62June 24, 2008, 08:54:22 am

malone

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Malone Tuning Ltd.
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2008, 08:54:22 am »
How much smoke?

Bump?

This?

Quote from: "burn_your_money"
At WOT there is a light smoke, certainly no where near enough to produce a smoke screen. At 7/8 and less throttle there is no smoke. This pump was built about a month ago so it has all the tricks. Giles says he could turn the fuel up a bit more if there was a better intake and exhaust on it
http://www.tunezilla.com
93 Eurovan AHU TDI
96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI - I bought it back!
97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L 1Z TDI - sold and missed
11 Golf 2.0L CJAA TDI DSG - Stage 4
14 Golf Wagon 2.0L CJAA TDI DSG - Sold
17 BMW 328d wagon - Sold
09 BMW 335d 3.0L

Reply #63June 24, 2008, 09:58:10 am

jimfoo

• Veteran

• http://www.66rover.com
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2008, 09:58:10 am »
Since secrets can't be revealed, my guess is that it has to do with optimizing the timing curve, as the stock curve was probably dictated by a variety of emissions requirements at the stock fueling level. And who knows, maybe it gets a different profile cam plate or something. We will only be able to guess... Hell, I don't know why my M-TDI pump seems to work good when everyone says it shouldn't.
Jim
1966 Land-Rover 88" with 1.9 1Z which has been transformed to an M-TDI
TFO35 mechanically controlled VNT, IC , and 2.5" exhaust.
Driven daily

Reply #64June 24, 2008, 10:34:28 am

Tintin

• Veteran

« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2008, 10:34:28 am »
If anyone put AAZ came plate in N/A pump,  that make a good difference, the car feel much faster.....  and ect....

Reply #65June 24, 2008, 11:55:06 am

Tintin

• Veteran

« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2008, 11:55:06 am »
Quote from: "prothe"
I too thought about the timing curve being optimized, but according to the dyno plots, the 60HP pump is putting out more HP at ALL RPM's than the 52HP pump.  

I'm not a fan of AAZ camplates for 1.6 pumps, unless you need more fuel, and I don't think that 52HP engines need more fuel.

Lol... :roll:  a came plate do not give more fuel..... you have to play with the fueling screw if you need more or less fuel.

Reply #66June 24, 2008, 09:21:06 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2008, 09:21:06 pm »

Let me walk you through the problems I have with the idea that you can take a 52HP engine, install a different pump and get 60HP.

Lets look at it this way, you take a TDI, throw a chip in and you get around 20 HP and better economy. Adding a chip to a TDI or modifying the guts of a mechanically controlled pump is essentially the same thing.
Tyler

Reply #67June 24, 2008, 09:29:59 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2008, 09:29:59 pm »
or any other chipped car for that matter
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #68June 24, 2008, 09:55:39 pm

andy2

« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2008, 09:55:39 pm »
It is possible to get these kinds of numbers with fairly low smoke levels on a non turbo engine.

Modifying the rate and travel of advance+ governor mods while only adding a tad more fuel or mabye no more fuel over stock.Good power,Great fuel economy to boot!

Reply #69June 24, 2008, 10:13:12 pm

Giles@PerformanceDiesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Junior

• http://www.performancediesel.ca
Voodoo Magic?
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2008, 10:13:12 pm »
Hi Guys

to put to rest all you neh sayer's

All i do is optomize the fuel curve to max potential for any given
engine application....NA or Turbo.

Increase the Advance curve thru-out the RPM range and increase
over-all travel.

Then take out the governor intervention so it's just limited by engine
efficeicency.

Tyler's pump still had all the stock parts inside including the camplate.

My special mods thru-out.

Giles

Reply #70June 25, 2008, 07:47:44 pm

Tintin

• Veteran

« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2008, 07:47:44 pm »
Yes, if you don't adjust your throttle, you won't get any more fuel.  The AAZ camplate gives you the potential for more fuel by giving the rotor a longer stroke and at a higher pressure.

Do you ever recommend the AAZ camplate with the 1.6 pump?  I've installed them, but I doubt that any of the customers have ever used the extra potential.

I think that you know too much thing for me...... but you forget important things,  Injected Quantity in relation to a giving time, IQ is the little part of the cam lift used to inject and time is the cam profile ...   :wink:

You already tried to inject 3.2mm IDI cam X 9mm pump  :lol: :lol:

There are much more thing that the lift parameter to inject the fuel properly to get more HP.

PS: how a man can sell a puzzle if he cannot know how to solve it.....

Reply #71June 25, 2008, 09:28:46 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2008, 09:28:46 pm »
x2 there Martin... I'm not sure whether all the pieces of his puzzle would even fit...

Prothe, Martin is right...you are missing some very important considerations...yet again and your thoughts are misguided and to the ill-informed, misleading at best.
 All I can say is wow. I find the number comparisons and your explanations of how the pumps work very interesting.    Oye...

Giles, sending you a PM (re:something Tyler and I have discussed) but I'm glad that you have been discrete with those mods as I think we see a tread happening here...yet again. Leaving pump building to those that truly understand their operation and DIY'ers that take the time to do so is great and much of the information and inquiry here reflects this.

Nothing personal.

Joe
1979 Rabbit mTDI crazy $*(\%& bunny...
1972 VW Westfalia
2009 VW Tiguan SE 2.0T (Wife's car)
2001 Audi TT 225 Quattro Roadster (something newer :) )

Reply #72June 26, 2008, 07:47:58 am

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2008, 07:47:58 am »
That's why to increase the HP on the TDI engine is not newsworthy.  To increase the HP on a 52 HP engine is big news

Exactly :D
Tyler

Reply #73June 26, 2008, 09:37:44 am

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2008, 09:37:44 am »
Prothe,
maybe I can help you understand how the 1.6L n/a power increase can be.
Ignoring all the other very cool (and unfortunately proprietary, for the curious on here) tricks that Giles does to the pumps, I would say the half the battle is in the govenor.
the govenor is a mechanical device that slowly tapers off fuel delivery proportionally to RPM increase.
When you apply full power, you get full fuel-- but only until around 2800-3200 RPM From that point, despite the continued application of full power, fuel delivery starts to decrease. To the point where, at the rev limit the engine is only getting enough fuel to merely maintain that RPM. NOT make full power at that RPM.
So the power peak on a stock pump 1.6L is actually limited by the fuel delivery. It's the crossroads between the falling fuel delivery curve and the potential HP as the revs increase.

As it turns out, if you can hold the fuel delivery constant, you will naturally see increases like the numbers posted here. It's a simple matter of the engine finally being allowed to make the HP that it's capable of.

This (combined with other mods and really in-depth bench tuning) is why Giles Pumps work so well on even stock engines.

Consider this. 1.6L TD engines typically don't make boost until around 3000 RPM, thanks to their oversized T3 or K24. At that point, fuel delivery has already started to taper off.

I would imagine that if all vw IDI diesels sold in the 80's and 90's had Giles Pumps on them, they'd have been immensely more popular. A 1.6L N/A with the same power but more torque and fuel economy than it's 1.7L gasser brothers? We wouldn't have any gas rabbits. The TD rabbit would have replaced the GTI! Imagine the "Original Hot Hatch" was actually diesel?

Terrific.

Anyway, i hope this helps you to understand. If not, I can go into even more detail as to how the govenor tapers off fuel delivery at such a low RPM.
I repair, maintain and modify VW's and BMW's.
Good work done at affordable rates. Welding and fabricating, too.
Performance Diesel Injection's Super Pump: gotta have one!

Reply #74June 26, 2008, 09:53:21 am

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2008, 09:53:21 am »
Quote from: "burn_your_money"
That's why to increase the HP on the TDI engine is not newsworthy.  To increase the HP on a 52 HP engine is big news

Exactly :D

Actually, I don't think that is a true nor a fair statement in many ways and it comes down to efficiency factors...

This is probably true...you have to work harder on an IDI motor to get the fueling "tune" quite right to start giving you usable power. Your right in saying in some ways that comparing a TDI to an IDI motor is apples and oranges because there are several variables and design differences between the two that would allow you to have an accurate comparison.

i.e.
-One is direct injection....one is not

This will play a huge role in the power output just from a shear design factor.  With the indirect injected engine think about how much potential energy is lost through the injection/combustion method alone. Many TDI guys that have switched from IDI to TDI remark about engine temperatures, etc. and how they seem to be "cooler" on the TDI. That is because on the DI motors everything is happening right in the combustion chamber.  There is less heat transfer through the head and since the power stroke of the motor is applied directly through the combustion chamber itself....all contained in one area....there is less chance of a loss for power vs. the indirect means (fuel combusts in prechamber, power flows down the blast ramp, then create the power stroke, etc. to push the pistons, yada yada yada :) )
The DI engine simply make more use of the energy that they have with less ending up with less waste through the head through simple efficiency means. For one...

Two...
If I were to take a 9mm pump head, use the TDI camplate, etc. and put it on the TDI engine. I'm going to be getting fairly close back to an IDI motors output. Especially if we are talking about a TD or even...and SDI motor. They exist...look at the numbers out there for them in stock form.  Efficiency differences between the two motors will always probably allow the DI motor to have a bit of an edge since it makes use of its energy more efficiently with less waste and power is applied more directly. But then you have to figure in that TDI's do come with a differently designed camplate (profiles between DI and IDI are different) and a larger pump head/rotor assembly as well. Even the european SDI motors I believe ran 10mm pump heads.
I'd be interested to see what the dyno plots of a TDI motor with a 9mm pump head and a stock TDI camplate correctly matched to the motor would provide. I'm going to bet...you'd see close to stock IDI TD numbers and the same if you were using the DI motor without the turbo, etc. making it essentially....an NA motor.

So then you move into fueling considerations and the fatal flaw in a few of the above comments. A TDI motor can be just as easily "overfueled" as a IDI motor can and not have the power output to show for that. However, do to design you won't see the "brick wall" in very little power gain in the TDI as much as you would see it in the IDI motor. You can subtly add power to the 52hp motor and gain hp without increasing smoke too much...you can do that a bit more on the TDI motor comparatively.  One is going to always be "better" at handling that increase in fueling because of shear design (as mentioned above) which lends to using the fuel more efficiently, creating the power more efficiently and wasting less energy through heat loss because of these efficiency (and other) factors. Eventually there is a trade off and design will harm you and just create "more smoke".

You can be careless though in overfueling and lose the efficiency and potential power of the TDI motor quite easily as well. This is more visible with some of the mTDI builds that are occuring these days just based on how some pumps are being built/designed without taking in some key differences (especially when many are used IDI pumps as a base). Camplates alone (sounding like broken record) aren't the answer. The eTDI versions ECM will correct many of these flaws to the best of its ability...so its harder to see on electronic cars. I could go into more of the DI loosing efficiency through improper pump design, crappy nozzles with nasty spray patterns, etc. but thats for the TDI forum sometime down the road.

Prothe...yes, that is of course correct (re: the bosch manual)...as a matter of fact, its almost a direct quote I think .

I think you need to look at the IDI vs. DI camplates again as there are other factors beyond just the slope of the curve that are different between the two different profiles of camplates. Not sure where/what this comment means or is going with anything "Yes, I have installed a AAZ camplate on a 9mm pump" The point being....? There is a direct correlation between the "slope of the curve" as you call it, injection duration and injection pressures to begin with. Though different between IDI and TDI (DI motors needing more of course...as their camplates show) you make it sound as if on the DI motors that this is mystical and its something that only happens on the DI motors...with this comment...
"As far as AAZ camplates are concerned, it's the slope of the curve will affect injection duration.  But with the TDI, the steeper slope of the camplate also helps generate higher pressures needed"
Camplate design between IDI and DI motors share this function and are directly correlated between both motors. 'slope height' and the 'length of slope' play the same part in both motors injection duration/creating injection pressures, etc. but are respectively different between the two different motor designs. In other words, the slope on the IDI camplate as well helps "generate" the pressures needed for the IDI motor too. Its not a function of the DI motor alone (to keep info clear...because thats not the way your comment reads).

Making "lots o' hp" on a 52hp motor would be great and is newsworthy. I have to wonder if your comparing to lumps though such as the TDI vs. an IDI motor....at what cost does the power increase come at? The effiency of these motors is going to differ no matter what the power level or how much fuel you throw at them based on the design alone in many ways. It simply will take "that much more" to get the IDI there vs. the DI for that reason. There has to be a trade off somewhere.  Almost makes me wish I had an IDI motor to still mess around with.

Joe
1979 Rabbit mTDI crazy $*(\%& bunny...
1972 VW Westfalia
2009 VW Tiguan SE 2.0T (Wife's car)
2001 Audi TT 225 Quattro Roadster (something newer :) )

Fixmyvw.com