Author Topic: mTDI no power....  (Read 7792 times)

November 02, 2007, 01:23:59 pm

Tiz

• User+

mTDI no power....
« on: November 02, 2007, 01:23:59 pm »
Right i recently transplated a TDi engine into my mk2 golf. I made a "franken" pump. I used the TDi camplate, head and plunger assembly as well as the TDi timing cover.

The engine revs nicely and smooth but it sounds noiser than usual. Ive been tinkering all day and have managed to get the power up a bit but its still waaaaaaaaay slower than my old 1.6GTD engine that was in before.. seriously considering ripping this tdi out =/.

when i first put it in it was constant white smoke so i guessed i got the pump timing off, i advanced it as far as i could on the pump and i got some more power so i thought hmm maybe i got it a tooth off on the sprocket so ive now moved it round 1 tooth and it seems to be quite a bit better now but i have the fuel screw hardly turned in at all and when the revs climb they hold and sometimes the engine runs away so i have no idea whats going on i need some help.

I know im not going to be able to get it perfect without the appropriate timing tools but i marked the housing when i took the pump off so i could line it back up, i should surely be able to get it somewhere near? But i mean at the minute its terribly terribly slow.

also, my tach seems to be reading way too fast, is it to do with the pulley size differences and if so how do i correct it?

i <3 diesel

Reply #1November 02, 2007, 02:02:46 pm

myke_w

• Veteran

mTDI no power....
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 02:02:46 pm »
perhaps something is wack inside the pump? did you time it with the cold engine advance pulled out by chance?
Contact me for hard to find for idi and tdi parts

Reply #2November 02, 2007, 03:00:36 pm

Tiz

• User+

mTDI no power....
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 03:00:36 pm »
i have actually removed the cold start and blanked it off.
i <3 diesel

Reply #3November 02, 2007, 04:17:32 pm

Tiz

• User+

mTDI no power....
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 04:17:32 pm »
arghhh why didnt i stick with IDI...
i <3 diesel

Reply #4November 02, 2007, 05:45:32 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

mTDI no power....
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 05:45:32 pm »
its sounds like you have more than 1 issue. I'll post later, I'm on my way out right now.

I'm sure someone else will chime in between now and then as well.

Joe
1979 Rabbit mTDI crazy $*(\%& bunny...
1972 VW Westfalia
2009 VW Tiguan SE 2.0T (Wife's car)
2001 Audi TT 225 Quattro Roadster (something newer :) )

Reply #5November 02, 2007, 06:45:22 pm

Tiz

• User+

mTDI no power....
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 06:45:22 pm »
damn i was hoping it was going to be a really quick fix :(
i <3 diesel

Reply #6November 02, 2007, 11:33:42 pm

Tintin

• Veteran

mTDI no power....
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 11:33:42 pm »
It's normal, the IDI pump does not work with TDI came plate, you will need to replace both IDI control lever and control shaft by other from TDI mechanical pump found in some european car and truck.

To build a M-TDI pump it's easy, but to make this pump to work well with acceptable power is rather complicated.

If you make some search about M-TDI pump in this forum, you will find much good information.

Reply #7November 02, 2007, 11:47:28 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

Re: mTDI no power....
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 11:47:28 pm »
OK, let me take a stab at it...

Quote from: "Tiz"
The engine revs nicely and smooth but it sounds noiser than usual.

First off...welcome to the wonderful world of mTDI. They usually are louder than their electronically controlled counterparts do to a number of reasons. Most the mTDI's out there you'll hear remarked about sound like a cummins :)

when i first put it in it was constant white smoke so i guessed i got the pump timing off, i advanced it as far as i could on the pump and i got some more power so i thought hmm maybe i got it a tooth off on the sprocket so ive now moved it round 1 tooth and it seems to be quite a bit better now but i have the fuel screw hardly turned in at all and when the revs climb they hold and sometimes the engine runs away so i have no idea whats going on i need some help...
I know im not going to be able to get it perfect without the appropriate timing tools but i marked the housing when i took the pump off so i could line it back up, i should surely be able to get it somewhere near? But i mean at the minute its terribly terribly slow.

In going through all the work to install and get the mTDI or any motor swap up and running properly, your going to want to have the right timing tools, etc. to do the job. Its insurance and a margin of safety that your going to want to have down the road. Not too mention, the worked saved in guess work and potentially catastrophic engine failures that could happen down the road by not having timed the motor properly. I'm sure its been talked to death, but I'm sure you've heard of some of the horror stories of "tool-less" timing jobs. Especially with the diesels. 1 notch in the end could really hurt you and even though marking the IP orientation on the bracket doesn't acct. for belt tensioning, any slight movements, etc. Advance timing on the pump itself by hand is VERY sensitive to slight movements...and really should be set by gauge OR by a very well trained "diesel" ear. However, timing of the motor itself....really needs to have tools to make the process a success.

That my rant on tools I suppose...

Another important consideration with timing and tooling properly for it. Your "stock" setting on the old IDI motor would be somewhere in the range of 0.95-1.05mm on the old IDI TD motor (which you'll only be able to tell by using the dial indicator in the injection pump). I can tell you from experience with my motor that it ran pretty nasty in the old IDI ranges... and as you'll see below in another topic about your pump, mTDI's and DI engines in general like their timing.... I'd start at 1.10mm or so, from what I've found with my motor. I currently am supporting 1.15mm on my motor, though...thats not for everyone nor the limits.

On your problem with the pump "hanging" and running away sometimes, not having the fuel screw turned in hardly at all. It sounds like you may not have your throttle shaft indexed properly. This is the orientation of the throttle shaft to the throttle lever on the pump. Did you mark this setting when removing the throttle shaft from the pump? Was the top cover removed at all? A few ticks off can easily cause this condition, defeating the idle circuit, etc.
If you did have it off, etc. had messed with the fuel screw what you'll find is with the throttle shaft CORRECTLY indexed, that you'll have problems starting the engine...this is where the fuel screw will come in, it'll need to be adjusted in as well as the idle set screws if you have messed with them. If you need info on reindexing the throttle shaft, I can post that or PM me.

I used the TDi camplate, head and plunger assembly as well as the TDi timing cover.

Into which style of pump? Assuming a IDI 1.6 pump? There are a few more considerations that need to be pulled into the hybrid and/or "franken" pump that you speak of to make it work properly on an mTDI.

The biggest things internally with the pump could be your internal timing advance control.  The mTDI's like timing advance :) and can pull quite a bit of it.  If you didn't "cut down" your IDI pumps internal timing piston which advancing timing, your going to run into problems with the motor lacking power as the IDI pumps timing piston will not allow for "enough" advance.
The TDI pumps timing advance setup is a good start... or cutting down the IDI piston. There is alot of good info on it on this site where even the IDI guys are doing it. The TDI pumps timing cover unfortunately won't do it all.

There are also other considerations in using the IDI pumps, but this is a start. The above things are def. something to look at. ESPECIALLY the initial timing considerations (needing 1.05-1.10mm or so at least), properly timed with a gauge  and checking the indexing of your throttle shaft.

Hmm...hopefully that makes sense. Its been a long day and I'm sorta tired. Enough for now. I tried to speak as "plain" as possible, so we'll see
Good Luck. Maybe someone else will chime in with info I may be missing do to the time of night here :)

Joe

p.s. On your tach being off...if you went from a v-belt setup to the serp setup, than you may need to recalibrate the tach because of the pulley size... should be an easy enough adjustment  on the tach board itself... I think...however, you'll need a reference so you know "when" its at the correct RPM.
1972 VW Westfalia

Reply #8November 03, 2007, 04:32:54 am

Tiz

• User+

mTDI no power....
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 04:32:54 am »
thank you very much, some very useful information. Looks like making an mTDi isnt as simple as i thought  :oops:

I marked the throttle position and am 90% sure i got it correct but i will remove and recheck to make sure.
i <3 diesel

Reply #9November 03, 2007, 09:52:45 am

Tiz

• User+

mTDI no power....
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 09:52:45 am »
right i checked the throttle position and that is all fine. The engine no longer hangs but to get it to idle anywhere decent i have to basically back off the idle stop as far as i can and adjust the idle down as far as i can with the adjust then after all that i have to back off the fuel screw to get it to idle low enough.

My EGT never exceeds 300celcius with my foot flat to the floor. But otherwise it runs perfect, starts on the button with no cranking and revs cleanly aswell as a nice idle.. Just how do i get more fuel into this thing?
i <3 diesel

Reply #10November 03, 2007, 01:51:25 pm

Tintin

• Veteran

mTDI no power....
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2007, 01:51:25 pm »
Quote from: "Tintin"
.................the IDI pump does not work with TDI came plate, you will need to replace both IDI control lever and control shaft by other from TDI mechanical pump found in some european car and truck.

Reply #11November 03, 2007, 02:33:11 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

mTDI no power....
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2007, 02:33:11 pm »
Martin, I was hoping that you would chime in here somewhere. (by the way, you have another pm).

This needs to replaced because of the limited travel of the IDI control lever/shaft compared to the needs of the DI engine if I remember correctly.

Your fueling needs go much deeper than just the fuel screw and the idle circuit. Also, I'd start at A working on these internal pumps items and then make sure timing is "properly" set.
Then you can go after the other items.

Joe
1972 VW Westfalia

Reply #12November 03, 2007, 05:59:45 pm

Tintin

• Veteran

mTDI no power....
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2007, 05:59:45 pm »
Quote from: "RabbitGTDguy"
Martin, I was hoping that you would chime in here somewhere. (by the way, you have another pm).

This needs to replaced because of the limited travel of the IDI control lever/shaft compared to the needs of the DI engine if I remember correctly.

Your fueling needs go much deeper than just the fuel screw and the idle circuit. Also, I'd start at A working on these internal pumps items and then make sure timing is "properly" set.
Then you can go after the other items.

Joe

Exactly what I want to explain without extra detail.

After this, the fun begin.........  you need to adjust the timing curve properly to match the pump timing with the timing that the motor need.

There exist another easy way, that consist to put only a 12mm head on IDI pump and also adjust the timing curve, that give aproximately the foctory TDI power/potential, but with some smoke.

Reply #13November 03, 2007, 08:16:07 pm

Tiz

• User+

mTDI no power....
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2007, 08:16:07 pm »
but how come its so wrong? why does my engine rev so cleanly and drives fine etc just has no power surely this isnt all down to the tdi camplate?
i <3 diesel

Reply #14November 03, 2007, 10:25:33 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

mTDI no power....
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2007, 10:25:33 pm »
we're not talking about the camplate alone. The TDI camplate inside of the pump is fine...however, the TDI camplate has a very different profile than an IDI camplate...or an IDI pump for that matter. In changing the camplate, the control lever and control shaft and using these specific parts from a DI specific pump, you gain the timing (and travel of the mechanism) to fuel the motor properly and take care of things the current way.

You can throw a cummins 4bt pump straight onto a TDI engine too...and it'll run GREAT...until you get going. same goes with the IDI pump. The idle circuit of the pump can be tweaked and you'll get a nice smooth running engine, etc. etc...however, when you want to put the motor under load, your no longer using the idle circuit and the above needs to be addressed in order to fuel things properly.

The power issue would be addressed with the correct matching of parts to support the longer duration and higher curve of the TDI's camplate.
Otherwise, your not going to take care of what the motor needs to fuel it properly and have the power your looking for. The pump needs to be properly setup for the engine.

Joe
1972 VW Westfalia