S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: my 500 dollar shiny turd  (Read 9468 times)

Reply #30January 28, 2013, 10:15:41 am

JBG3

• Junior

Re: my 500 dollar shiny turd
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2013, 10:15:41 am »
Its not the issue of filtering out particulate.. its the issue of the un-burnable additives in motor oil that makes the issue of running motor oil.

Definitely, personally, Id be very concerned with emissions.  How much arsenic, cadmium, chromium, lead, or sulfer PPM content is there in the waste motor oil being used?  How much of that crap is getting into my lungs? 
After seeing just how much soot my rear seats actually filtered from my 86, there is definitely a possibility of tailpipe emissions getting into the cabin areas.  I have replaced all my door and trunk seals, but honestly, id be much happier burning VO than MO.  To save money on fuel costs, the level of emissions for the car is pretty nasty, and im glad there seems to be few people who are comfortable burning waste motor oil. 

Bad enough that every shop in a cold area burns waste motor oil in oil heaters, but a lot of those have to meet some kind of minimum emissions specifications.  Most people break these rules, but still, they are there. 
1986 1.6NA Jetta

Reply #31January 28, 2013, 10:22:19 am

tyb525

• Junior

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2013, 10:22:19 am »
Everything I've read points to no worse emission than standard diesel or WVO, no increase in smoke, etc.
If you don't use it, it gets burned to heat the tar when you dispose of it at a recycling center, so either way it gets burned. It's gotta go somewhere. Any additives probably fall to the ground just as diesel soot does.

Many reports of vehicles going 50k miles or more with no issues...

It's an issue of the lesser evils.

Does it save the environment? no. Is it free to obtain, yes. easier to process than WVO, yes. no pre-heat required, yes. tons of vehicles are currently driving around burning lots of oil unintentionally anyways, I'd put my concern into the gasoline-powered pollution machines before this.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 10:25:25 am by tyb525 »
2004 Golf BEW, '81 1.6 NA rabbit (soon to be parted out)

Reply #32January 28, 2013, 10:51:27 am

JBG3

• Junior

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2013, 10:51:27 am »
Everything I've read points to no worse emission than standard diesel or WVO, no increase in smoke, etc.
If you don't use it, it gets burned to heat the tar when you dispose of it at a recycling center, so either way it gets burned. It's gotta go somewhere. Any additives probably fall to the ground just as diesel soot does.

Many reports of vehicles going 50k miles or more with no issues...

It's an issue of the lesser evils.

Does it save the environment? no. Is it free to obtain, yes. easier to process than WVO, yes. no pre-heat required, yes. tons of vehicles are currently driving around burning lots of oil unintentionally anyways, I'd put my concern into the gasoline-powered pollution machines before this.

lol, we are clearly reading different stuff.  Everything ive read discusses the sheer dirtiness of burning used motor oil.  We agree that 80% of motor oil gets burned as an industrial fuel (in the US), but its particularly dirty in emissions of heavy metals, like lead and zinc.  I got that from a study published in the American Chemical Society journal. 

How could it possibly be similarly emissions producing as WVO and even low sulfer diesel?  None of these types of fuels contain heavy metals in them.  Thats the big thing that makes WMO a dirty type of fuel to use.  WIll it work? sure, but its not anywhere as clean.  Just because 80% of motor oil gets burned doesn't mean its a good idea and we should all be doing our part to burn it off.  For example, in Europe, about 50% of motor oil is re-refined back into motor oil, or other useful purposes, compared to 10-15% in the US. 

1986 1.6NA Jetta

Reply #33January 28, 2013, 10:56:03 am

tyb525

• Junior

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2013, 10:56:03 am »
Everything has a downside. I don't forsee WMO ever becoming a widely consumed fuel, so that being said I don't see much of a problem with a few people here and there burning it. But that's just me, crucify me if you will. They could always pour it in the ground, as countless idiots have...

When used oil is recycled, where does all the waste from that process go?

Reply #34January 28, 2013, 02:49:35 pm

wdkingery

• Veteran

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2013, 02:49:35 pm »
How much of that crap is getting into my lungs?  

I wondered about this myself.  I hope i don't die before i can finish this engineering degree.

So to compensate, i opened my roof snorkel back up.. this creates positive pressure in the vehicle from clean air from outside the vehicle, up high where my exhaust shouldn't be, disallowing a venturi effect to suck exhuast gas in.

i fixed my toilet bowl style exhaust so 96ish% of the exhaust ends up behind the car, and not around/under/thru the car.

also, global warming is a hoax as it became "climate change" when our winters went back to being cold, and was being perpetuated by a guy that rode around in a personal jet spewing the thing he was out preaching against, and Tipper left him after the big money he promised from the government's solution to global warming didn't pan out (see here for explanation,) so the rest of the argument is null to me. my health = only concern
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 02:56:55 pm by wdkingery »

Reply #35January 28, 2013, 03:23:58 pm

RustyCaddy

• Veteran

Re: my 500 dollar black shiny turd
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2013, 03:23:58 pm »

Reply #36January 28, 2013, 03:26:17 pm

wdkingery

• Veteran

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2013, 03:26:17 pm »
Hhahahahah WELL PLACED, rustycaddy.

in fact, i didn't know of this term.. i think it is only used in heavily liberal areas, and i don't live in one.  So i had to go google it.  it seems short for ring wing nut; wingnut.

it is the epitome of political correctness; a term for those that didn't buy in. 

i guess i wear the badge proudly, then.

Reply #37January 28, 2013, 03:31:52 pm

wdkingery

• Veteran

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2013, 03:31:52 pm »

why did you take down the original pics?  You might as well have fun with it, that car is a statement.  Just because people don't agree with you and don't like what you've done with the car doesn't mean you should edit things based on opinions on a forum.  Clearly, you have engineered the way the vehicle looks to provoke a reaction, and its done the same thing here.  Might as well sit back and enjoy it, its working perfectly as designed!  

inderdaad.  i puttem back. i meant to cut the plate number out anyway
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 03:35:04 pm by wdkingery »

Reply #38January 28, 2013, 04:33:32 pm

JBG3

• Junior

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2013, 04:33:32 pm »
How much of that crap is getting into my lungs?  

I wondered about this myself.  I hope i don't die before i can finish this engineering degree.

So to compensate, i opened my roof snorkel back up.. this creates positive pressure in the vehicle from clean air from outside the vehicle, up high where my exhaust shouldn't be, disallowing a venturi effect to suck exhuast gas in.

i fixed my toilet bowl style exhaust so 96ish% of the exhaust ends up behind the car, and not around/under/thru the car.

also, global warming is a hoax as it became "climate change" when our winters went back to being cold, and was being perpetuated by a guy that rode around in a personal jet spewing the thing he was out preaching against, and Tipper left him after the big money he promised from the government's solution to global warming didn't pan out (see here for explanation,) so the rest of the argument is null to me. my health = only concern

I had sort of a freakout moment about the exhaust on my 86 a few months ago, when I discovered just how much soot the rear seats seem to have filtered, indicating a huge exhaust leak that was somehow being sucked into the cabin. 

I replaced all the door seals, and I am looking for a trunk seal.  With the black soot all over the backs of my seats, thats where I wonder how much of the MO burning exhaust is somehow sucked into the cabin.  That fresh air snorkel may be just the idea to prevent such things. 

I have no idea if the soot in my car was any indication of common problems with the mk2 though, so maybe it was singular to mine.  There was a whole vo setup and the PO did blow the engine, so who knows how it originally ran
1986 1.6NA Jetta

Reply #39January 28, 2013, 04:45:24 pm

wdkingery

• Veteran

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2013, 04:45:24 pm »
IT WAS THIS PHOTO that caused the roof snorkel to repopen.. in fact it was this photo that caused me to fix my exhaust entirely.

After you brought this photo to the board, i decided to research, and decided that cracking the window caused a venturi effect, and so if you have holes in the floorboard, the low cabin pressure would suck the exhaust gas up thru the floor, maybe contributing to your backseat photo.

i decided the high pressure created by the roof snorkel would eliminate this problem, likely forcing clean air out the floor holes.

Reply #40January 28, 2013, 06:13:31 pm

tyb525

• Junior

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2013, 06:13:31 pm »
I rarely crack the windows, I use the fresh air vents instead. I have a pinhole leak right after the manifold and if I have my window rolled down I can smell it. If it is up, I don't smell it at all.

Reply #41January 28, 2013, 06:14:34 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2013, 06:14:34 pm »
I rarely crack the windows, I use the fresh air vents instead. I have a pinhole leak right after the manifold and if I have my window rolled down I can smell it. If it is up, I don't smell it at all.

Mine is the exact opposite. I have just a down pipe for an exhaust, and windows up  fan on I smell it.. windows down and fan off I don't.

Reply #42January 28, 2013, 07:04:47 pm

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2013, 07:04:47 pm »
Mine is the exact opposite. I have just a down pipe for an exhaust, and windows up  fan on I smell it.. windows down and fan off I don't.

Got the gasket that runs along the rain tray?

Reply #43January 28, 2013, 08:51:31 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2013, 08:51:31 pm »
Yes, in good order too.

Like i say i have just the downpipe pointed at the ground haha

Reply #44January 28, 2013, 08:53:53 pm

wdkingery

• Veteran

« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2013, 08:53:53 pm »
Yes, in good order too.

Like i say i have just the downpipe pointed at the ground haha

That turbo must have quite the muffling effect, because I had to drive open header for about 16 kilometers, and even with hearing protection, it was the loudest car I've ever been in. Ungodly loud

S-PAutomotive.com