Author Topic: Still need more power....  (Read 8852 times)

September 17, 2006, 05:14:50 am

TomB

• Junior

Still need more power....
« on: September 17, 2006, 05:14:50 am »
...but I'm getting there.

One thing I really hate is people surgically attaching themselves to your rear bumper on the dual carriageway, while you're hanging back and giving plenty of space to a slower car in front.
ost recently it was some rep in a Pug. 406 who decided that 3 inches from my rear bumper was his spiritual home.
However, when the car in front of me moved over, I could finally put my foot down.  To give him credit he clung on until about 90mph before backing off (we were on a private road by this time :-)).
Still, it highlighted all the things I want to do with my car power wise...

1.6 Golf GTD - Chip Fat Powered!

Reply #1September 17, 2006, 11:00:58 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 11:00:58 am »
i can never understand why people feel the need to drive right against someones bumper, it's extremely dangerous, and it normally just makes the person you are doing it to drive slower, like me, when people ride my ass i usually go slower, some times a little below the speedlimit just to piss them off since they are pissing me off, then they will usually get a little closer for a while, then they back off, think you speed up if they stop riding your ass, but i don't play those games i continue at w/e speed i feel appropriate, then they'll usually start riding your ass again, it's funny how consistent people are with this.  lots of times though i will just hold my brakes and my gas at the same time to produce a nice smoke screen, this usually loses any tailers haha.  but everyone always seems to be the victim, i wonder who these mysterious tail gaters actually are.
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #2September 17, 2006, 11:49:01 am

Slave2School

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 11:49:01 am »
Quote from: Trev0rbr
i can never understand why people feel the need to drive right against someones bumper, it's extremely dangerous, and it normally just makes the person you are doing it to drive slower, like me, when people ride my ass i usually go slower, some times a little below the speedlimit just to piss them off since they are pissing me off, then they will usually get a little closer for a while, then they back off, think you speed up if they stop riding your ass, but i don't play those games i continue at w/e speed i feel appropriate, then they'll usually start riding your ass again, it's funny how consistent people are with this.  lots of times though i will just hold my brakes and my gas at the same time to produce a nice smoke screen, this usually loses any tailers haha.  but everyone always seems to be the victim, i wonder who these mysterious tail gaters actually are.

Exactly what I try to do, I entice them to pass by going 5 under or so and doing my best to smoke like and ignorant arse!
Waiting for a bigger better diesel to come along.
2002 ford focme wagon

Reply #3September 18, 2006, 11:06:48 am

lesharoturbo

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 11:06:48 am »
Here's what I do.  I tow an enclosed trailer often and no matter if I am going 10 over the limit, I still have "cling-ons" on my rear end.  Here in Michigan, we have a nice gravel path on either side of the roadway.  I just put a trailer tire in the gravel and spit some in their direction :wink: .  I usually try to get them to pass first, unless I have had a particularly stressful day. :shock:

Bernie

Reply #4September 18, 2006, 12:31:38 pm

Kevin L

• User+

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 12:31:38 pm »
I hate a tailgatter as much as the next guy but worse is one who is in the passing lane with no one in front of them and does not pull over to let you pass.
It dosn't matter if you are doing 150km in a 100km zone, left lane is for passing

Get on the throttle and pass or pull over!
90 Jetta Turbo Diesel 425K and counting

Reply #5September 18, 2006, 08:15:31 pm

macsdub

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 08:15:31 pm »
Quote from: lesharoturbo
Here's what I do.  I tow an enclosed trailer often and no matter if I am going 10 over the limit, I still have "cling-ons" on my rear end.  Here in Michigan, we have a nice gravel path on either side of the roadway.  I just put a trailer tire in the gravel and spit some in their direction :wink: .  I usually try to get them to pass first, unless I have had a particularly stressful day. :shock:

Bernie

yea the tire in the gravel is a nice tip for the guy behind ya,its like you can stay with him forever,cause he will never forget how his front end got "sandblasted"
its the gift that never stops giving
big ugly stone chips :D
most of the time this is hilfolk'r... ive forgotten my password

Reply #6September 18, 2006, 09:06:50 pm

okron1k

• Junior

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 09:06:50 pm »
Quote from: Kevin L
I hate a tailgatter as much as the next guy but worse is one who is in the passing lane with no one in front of them and does not pull over to let you pass.
It dosn't matter if you are doing 150km in a 100km zone, left lane is for passing

Get on the throttle and pass or pull over!

i very much agree with this. im a truck driver. and if there are 3 lanes in each direction of the highway.. i can only use the right 2. ill be in the middle lane passing a slower truck or car.. and someone is just cruising along at about the same speed as the right lane, if not slower.

i can be fined for passing in the left lane.
i could slow down and pass on the right, but slowing down in a truck isnt the greatest because it takes a while to speed up again.

so you know how i battle this? i keep my speed until i get really close to them and turn my engine break on. most of the time they will hear that and be scared and speed up or move over to the left lane. sometimes that doesnt work. sometimes i DO take the left lane even tho i shouldnt, and get about half way past them and put my right signal on and kind of move close to the right edge of my lane to really scare them. that almost always works :P

don't think of this as road rage. think of this as trying to teach.
the problem is a lot of drivers are uneducated, and don't know how to properly use the lanes. but oh well.

Reply #7September 18, 2006, 09:23:35 pm

lesharoturbo

• Junior

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 09:23:35 pm »
Another thing I hate, while we are on the subject, is those fools who do not know what an on-ramp is for.  These morons try to merge onto a limited access highway on which most people are traveling 70+ mph while they are doing 45-55. On ramps are for ACCLERATION.  If you are not doing 70 when you get to the bottom how do you expect to merge with traffic that is going 70?  And then get mad at me for not cutting off someone in the fast lane to let them on!!!   Come on people, moving over is a courtesy not a law.  Accelerate please.

I agree, many people have to be taught how to drive.

Bernie

Reply #8September 18, 2006, 09:32:12 pm

okron1k

• Junior

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 09:32:12 pm »
Quote from: lesharoturbo
Another thing I hate, while we are on the subject, is those fools who do not know what an on-ramp is for.  These morons try to merge onto a limited access highway on which most people are traveling 70+ mph while they are doing 45-55. On ramps are for ACCLERATION.  If you are not doing 70 when you get to the bottom how do you expect to merge with traffic that is going 70?  And then get mad at me for not cutting off someone in the fast lane to let them on!!!   Come on people, moving over is a courtesy not a law.  Accelerate please.

I agree, many people have to be taught how to drive.

Bernie

amen

Reply #9September 18, 2006, 09:42:19 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 09:42:19 pm »
There is nothing more fun then creating a massive smoke screen for that tailgater. It always brings a smile to my face and it always has worked for me.
Tyler

Reply #10September 18, 2006, 09:48:13 pm

okron1k

• Junior

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2006, 09:48:13 pm »
i've been pulled over once already for too much smoke.. and i barely make that much  :roll:

Reply #11September 18, 2006, 10:08:26 pm

coke

• Veteran

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2006, 10:08:26 pm »
okron1k, point the police in the direction of the huge ass mack trucks or tractor trailer trucks that pump out 90000 pounds of sulfur and black smoke when they're getting on their rigs. They dont get pulled over for smoking too much now do they?
What a bunch of ignorant cops there are.

Reply #12September 18, 2006, 10:12:32 pm

okron1k

• Junior

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2006, 10:12:32 pm »
i was actually pulled over by the ministry of environment. it wasnt a city cop.

its bull***. ok yeah i know i was smoking because i was pedal to the floor.. but from 1st girl. and i believe he said you cant smoke for more than 15 seconds continuous.

i know my car is slow but first girl doesnt last 15 seconds. nor second. and the smoke stops between shifts.

Reply #13September 18, 2006, 10:15:42 pm

Kudagra

• Veteran

• www.no-coast.com
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2006, 10:15:42 pm »
actually Coke they do get pulled over. Seen it a few times. But they also get wacked if they have ONE marker light out. Im not talking Tail light. Im talking  one of the million running lights down the side.

If there is a light they are required to work.

My boss got pulled over once. He took a hammer to the extra ones just so the cop wouldnt write the ticket. He almost got one for littering.
Turbo boost libido and passive restraints
And as of yet I haven't heard even a single complaint
I've got the tools of the trade and a fuel injected heart
Efficiency is beautiful, efficiency is art

Reply #14September 18, 2006, 10:53:44 pm

okron1k

• Junior

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2006, 10:53:44 pm »
very true. but my lights always work :)

besides. if they check your circle check and see that you checked them within the last 24 hours and everything was fine.. a light can burnt out at any time. so i think they will be more leanient about marker lights.

city bus's were the worst for smoke. not so bad now.. some still are.

Fixmyvw.com