Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Manifolds  (Read 12571 times)

August 20, 2006, 11:31:27 pm

Kudagra

• Veteran

• www.no-coast.com
Manifolds
« on: August 20, 2006, 11:31:27 pm »
I know passenger performance was making something....so
when do we get to buy them?

Turbo boost libido and passive restraints
And as of yet I haven't heard even a single complaint
I've got the tools of the trade and a fuel injected heart
Efficiency is beautiful, efficiency is art

Reply #1August 21, 2006, 12:27:15 am

935racer

Manifolds
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 12:27:15 am »
Currently waiting for the laser cutter to come up with the head flanges, down to 2 weeks wait time now, and it will be about a week after that before I get the first few test models out.

This would be a good time to see what everyone would be intersted in.

The exhaust manifolds all feature sch40 mild steel pipe, this is some seriously  thick pipe, you won't be denting or breaking these things. 1/2" thick head and turbo inlet flanges.

The intake manifolds will be made from 16-18g mandrel tube, all will feature equal length runners and an inlet size option from 2-3". The 1.9 versions will cost a bit more due to the difficult to form "d" shaped ports.
Intake manifolds will require the use of a passenger exhaust manifold of flipping the stock turbo/exhaust manifold upside-down, this of course does not apply to tdi's which already have the turbo mounted towards the ground.

The exhaust manifolds will bolt on to anything from the 1.5idi's all the way to the new pd100 tdi's. The intake manifolds will be designed to fit all the vw chassis mk1-5, the only consideration will be 1.6 or 1.9 style ports.

Instead of "log" manifolds I have designed an ultra short runner tubular manifold while keeping the cost close to a "log manifold" pricing. This will give you quicker turbo spool up.

Currently I have these manifold options to offer, with BALL PARK pricing in CAD:

Exhaust manifolds:
VNT 20 short runner manifold $300-400
Conventional t3 and gt series turbo short runner $300-450
Race manifold, complete equal length runners, narrow angle merge collector, pulse firing sequence. t3, t4, gt series, holset turbo compliant, $700-1000

Intake Manifolds:
1.5/1.6 street intake, $300-400
1.9and tdi street intake $400-500
1.5/1.6 race intake, "dual spear" plenum, port matched, race ready $700-800
1.9 and TDI race intake, "dual spear" plenum, port matched and race ready. $800-1000

Please add comments, ask questions, or request something you would like to see.

Reply #2August 21, 2006, 08:18:22 pm

Kudagra

• Veteran

• www.no-coast.com
Manifolds
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 08:18:22 pm »
hmmm...then what am I going to do with my DP.

Can I trade it in on a replacement or do I just make it a bit shorter?

I just got my finished block back and I sent the head in to be worked over. So I will be needing to come up with something...but I think Ill use my cash for a Giles.

Reply #3August 21, 2006, 10:03:35 pm

935racer

Manifolds
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 10:03:35 pm »
No there is no practical way to make that downpipe work with one of these manifolds. Money on a giles pump is money well spent in my books. But the more fuel and boost you run the greater the need to get the air in and out of the motor as quickly and effeciently as possible.

Reply #4August 21, 2006, 11:22:16 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

Manifolds
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 11:22:16 pm »
um,i dont wanna jack this dave,but  does this dude need a manifold and stuff?
my friend cut flanges for my tdi,but its the same for a 1.6
he will build a custom  turbo manifolds to spec,in stainless,or mild steel
for good prices,he does this in his spare time,he is rooted in vw's and audis
westmotorsports.biz
email Gene for any questions,he is doing my manifold
heres a pic of the flanges we cut on the ol cnc mill
these are 1/4 steel,but we could do 3/8 also

http://westmotorsports.biz
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #5August 21, 2006, 11:54:57 pm

935racer

Manifolds
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 11:54:57 pm »
1/4 or 3/8 head flanges are too thin, they will warp under heat and especially under welding, I use 1/2" thick head flanges and I bolt them to a core head while welding, and I almost always need to give them a quick re surface to make sure they seal right.

Is this guy building you a tubular or log manifold? What firing/pulsing sequence will it have if its a tubular?

Reply #6August 22, 2006, 08:20:45 am

Kudagra

• Veteran

• www.no-coast.com
Manifolds
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 08:20:45 am »
hey Jack this thread all you want. Im just getting my head work done and Im looking to the future.

Those are nice looking flanges.

Dave you mentioned sch 40 pipe. Are you making these out of the weld on pipe elbows. Ive seen alot of people use them for making headers on 2.3turbos among other things.

Reply #7August 22, 2006, 12:28:55 pm

935racer

Manifolds
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006, 12:28:55 pm »
Yep using weld el's as their known, they really are great for making turbo headers. Super strong and bullet proof.

Reply #8August 22, 2006, 07:41:42 pm

Kudagra

• Veteran

• www.no-coast.com
Manifolds
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 07:41:42 pm »
well I was going to do that...but I guess I could wait and let you do all the engineering.

How far away are you from Northern Idaho? I might need to get up there sometime.

ew..9hrs...I might have to sleep in the Jeep.

Reply #9August 22, 2006, 09:56:17 pm

anarchyx34

Manifolds
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006, 09:56:17 pm »
Quote from: 935racer
Yep using weld el's as their known, they really are great for making turbo headers. Super strong and bullet proof.

Me and a friend made a turbo manifold out of sch40 weld els and a 1/2" thick flange for my Mazda. Truly heavy duty stuff. I also had it coated (jethot 2000). It probably will outlast the car :).

Reply #10August 22, 2006, 11:09:25 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

Manifolds
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2006, 11:09:25 pm »
yea he said we could do whatever,1/4-3/8-1/2 plate  for the flanges
yea he has all the stuff,i lent him an old head
heck he can have the head for future intake manifold stuff
he builds 400-500 hp "mild" audi 20v 5cyl stuff,but he used to be a vw tech :wink:
yea he uses weld  ells and all that,sch 40
he can do them in stainless too
its gonna be a tooblar  manifold for the hy/hx setup
we are at the point where we gotta mock up the placement of the turbo on the car,thats why i havent been working on it right now
i wish he woulda posted more audi stuff on his site :cry:
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #11August 23, 2006, 01:58:54 am

935racer

Manifolds
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2006, 01:58:54 am »
Run 1/2" head flange for sure man, 1/4 and 3/8's is just way too thin. Also while you are at it make the intake manifold, if you make a good quality intake manifold you need to build the tubular exhaust header after. To get the proper runner length for the intake manifold its gonna take up a lot of space, so build your exhaust around it cause there is only one way to do the intake runners, there are a few other ways of doing the exhaust runners.
Also for maximum efficiency you need to make a pulsed firing sequence for the exhaust runners, while keeping them equal length :shock:  It gets tricky trust me.

Reply #12August 23, 2006, 07:40:27 pm

Kudagra

• Veteran

• www.no-coast.com
Manifolds
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2006, 07:40:27 pm »
Run 1/2" head flange for sure man, 1/4 and 3/8's is just way too thin. Also while you are at it make the intake manifold, if you make a good quality intake manifold you need to build the tubular exhaust header after. To get the proper runner length for the intake manifold its gonna take up a lot of space, so build your exhaust around it cause there is only one way to do the intake runners, there are a few other ways of doing the exhaust runners.
Also for maximum efficiency you need to make a pulsed firing sequence for the exhaust runners, while keeping them equal length Shocked It gets tricky trust me.

See...thats why Im waiting for manifolds. 1= Im lazy 2= Im lazy 3= see 1 and 2.

OK I know its been discussed before but how about thermal coatings... Exhaust ports on head, piston tops,.... what else?

0 balancing the rotating assem...Ive known alot of ford guys doing it and it makes the engine just purr...has it ever been done for our engines?

Lightnend flywheels. I believe Dave was doing these. Guess Ill need one before my stuff is balanced.

Oh and Dave...I might need a cam card for that reground cam.

Reply #13August 23, 2006, 11:49:16 pm

935racer

Manifolds
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2006, 11:49:16 pm »
Quote from: Kudagra
See...thats why Im waiting for manifolds. 1= Im lazy 2= Im lazy 3= see 1 and 2.

OK I know its been discussed before but how about thermal coatings... Exhaust ports on head, piston tops,.... what else?

0 balancing the rotating assem...Ive known alot of ford guys doing it and it makes the engine just purr...has it ever been done for our engines?

Lightnend flywheels. I believe Dave was doing these. Guess Ill need one before my stuff is balanced.

Oh and Dave...I might need a cam card for that reground cam.

You have to be more than just a little ambitious to create a high flowing and balanced intake manifold, with proper runner length, and a exhaust manifold that is equal length, with a proper exhaust pulse runner pattern. And make them fit together behind the block and not hit the firewall, definately not for the lazy  :lol:

Thermal coatings, just do the piston tops, intake and exhaust valve faces, and intake and exhaust ports. Also coat the intake and exhaust manifolds. Don't do anymore coating than this.

Definately balance the entire rotating assembly: crank, rods, pistons, flywheel, pressure plate, clutch disc, harmonic balancer.

I havent forgotten about your cam, you just let me know when you are ready and I'll send you one 8)

Reply #14August 24, 2006, 07:49:23 am

Kudagra

• Veteran

• www.no-coast.com
Manifolds
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2006, 07:49:23 am »
actually you already sent me one. I just dont have the specs.  I want to check it all out when its installed.