S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: um im thinkin yes to this  (Read 47952 times)

Reply #105August 19, 2006, 02:38:09 am

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

um im thinkin yes to this
« Reply #105 on: August 19, 2006, 02:38:09 am »
dont be afraid to romp on it a little,put your foot in it
the rings are seated by now,so all you are waiting for is the bearings ,and theyare pretty much there
of course wait till its warmed up
i waited a whole 2 or 3 hours before gettin on it
i was still shifting before 3000 and hauling like no idi ive ever seen
id wait till 3-4 k to run on the amsoil
i waited till  3k till i switched to synth
just dump it again at 1000,and at 3k if its feeling good+loosened up some switch over.....

lol i was nuts,but nuts is cheap insurance to me
a 25 dollar oil change compared to a 5000 dollar engine???no argument there
i changed the oil after 30 mins of run time,then at 150-200 miles,then again at1000 :roll:

anyone still wanna get a hx 30w housing bored out??manifold dude is bugging me to get one......
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #106August 19, 2006, 08:11:05 am

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

« Reply #106 on: August 19, 2006, 08:11:05 am »
I'd be interested, but don't have one in hand at the moment...

On the syn. part... here is the deal. I started it on rotella, ok....good, cheap, etc. 15w-40 though and came across a good deal on 15w 40 Amsoil that I figured I'd use as part of a the break in....a STEAL of a deal so I just bought it to have. I eventually need to switch over to the 5w-30 I'm assuming but I don't know as if I saw the harm in putting the amsoil in before the initial break in period was up...  

Is it a "cost" thing with using the syn in the break in or a mechanical thing that you've experienced? Just interested in knowing...

Joe
1979 Rabbit mTDI crazy $*(\%& bunny...
1972 VW Westfalia
2009 VW Tiguan SE 2.0T (Wife's car)
2001 Audi TT 225 Quattro Roadster (something newer :) )

Reply #107August 19, 2006, 10:26:49 am

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #107 on: August 19, 2006, 10:26:49 am »
How many miles on it, Joe?  I think it's been discussed to death, but from what I can remember on TDI club, after the rings have seated and the oil has been changed the first time, it's time to pull the trigger.  ;D

Man I wish you lived closer so I could see that thing.  I like your setup so much that I am planning on using a lot of your ideas for my build, if you dont mind that is.  ;)  What's that saying, "imatation is the best form of flattery" or something like that?

Brendan
84 Scirocco 8v
00 Camaro L36 M49
81 Scirocco 'S -->Soon to be m-TDI
93 Corrado SLC VR6
'86 Golf N/A Diesel  -->Wife's car
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

"I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess....."

-Red Green

Reply #108August 19, 2006, 10:47:33 am

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

« Reply #108 on: August 19, 2006, 10:47:33 am »
Brendan,

Eh, roughly about 100miles I imagine. I did a few test here and there, ran it through the low ranges, let it warm up and checked the racewares, etc. Then ran it back and forth with the pump turned way down here for a few days to work...about a 40 mile round trip.... so, first oil change today and then go from there...

Need to relocate the battery as I said, tomorrow it looks like as its raining today, also made new 4gauge cables for the alternator and grounding points to clean things up a bit and would like to find a bit more rubber and a couple bushings to dampen the noise the the H blue fuel pump I've got on the car....fun stuff.

Nope, you know...i don't mind at all...afterall that is what these forums are about. An exchange of knowledge where we are all participating. The only time I don't like it is where you share info and ask questions to people regarding some of their findings that they don't share or you find out they are profitting from your findings and/or ideas. That stinks...

I look forward to seeing your project as well and perhaps sometime when I'm home (around the Erie, PA area) We could meet up, etc. I may go to H20 show this year possibly as well as MAYBE TDIFest...but, we'll see... not alot of love for mechanicals on that side of things but then I could always turn ends and change opinions.

Joe
1972 VW Westfalia

Reply #109August 19, 2006, 11:07:45 am

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #109 on: August 19, 2006, 11:07:45 am »
yea use dino oil for breakin
if your rings didnt seat in the first 5 mins of running,they will never seat
i really liked the dry film lube for the bores from total seal
upon startup, (i prelubed) i fired it up,got oilpressure for 10-15 seconds,then i raised revs to 2000 i held the revs at 2000,and blipped the throttle hard like every 10 seconds,gotta load the rings to seat them correctly
i shut it off after 15 mins or so,,looked around,before a road test
yea wait a few thou before switching over to synth
yea its not a cost thing,its a mechanical thing
dont be too gentle on it i had one last week that the guy was too easy on it and he had allkinds of problems
you got 800 miles on it
get on it,its ok to let it rev to 4000
heck when i was blippin it during break in i was hittin 3500 probaly
you arent doing any damage,and ya gotta be what most people would think is "bad" for an engine on a break in,like holding hirevs,and loading it some

lemme post these old pics from w'fest 03 here too for ya that i found somewhere online :wink:

Throttle cables ftw

Reply #110August 19, 2006, 01:33:08 pm

TDIMeister

• Veteran

« Reply #110 on: August 19, 2006, 01:33:08 pm »
I look forward to seeing your project as well and perhaps sometime when I'm home (around the Erie, PA area)

Joe, whereabouts are you from near Erie, PA?  I lived in Erie for about 9 months, 225 West 8th Street, near State and... Liberty? -- been a couple of years...  :oops: Very near to the Gannon campus.  I used to always drive down State toward the harbour and then onto Bayfront Pkwy on my way to work at GETS.  I was a Resident Design Engineer for my consulting firm in the GE Tier-2 locomotive Diesel program, known to the public as "GEVO."

I met up a few dubbers there and had a memorable race with one guy in a modded GTI (with me in my Passat TDI) on a deserted stretch of I-79N heading back to Erie from a old-timer car show in Meadville if memory serves.  I had my car's spedometer pegged at 220 km/h (137 MPH) with my GTI buddy far behind.  To add insult to injury, I also beat him in a friendly traffic light drag race shortly after that incident. :D

Reply #111August 19, 2006, 03:04:19 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

« Reply #111 on: August 19, 2006, 03:04:19 pm »
I'll def keep the dino oil in there for now...maybe will go pick up some more Rotella I guess until the next changeover.

Def. haven't been baby'in it, but to a certain extent, probably...staying off of it. Now it will be hard to with as much power as I have found with the reindexing of the throttle shaft and lever. It was interesting how much the power came up and how far out the max fuel screw was initially when I had it on the road last week running around...and how "under fueled" it felt. I realize that I'm not going to get PP nozzle (764's) or R520 performance out of the Sprint 764's I'm running right now but the power is alot better and I am seeing some black smoke on the initial adjustments now. It'll be wise for me to get the intercooler plumbed in quickly as well as the fuel cooler setup I'm going to install...maybe this weekend but right now the weather isn't looking to promising...

Oh...on the PA connection note... my hometown and parents home is in Warren, PA... about 45min or so east of Erie. I can take note to some of those places you mentioned as I've been around those areas and such. But Warren is where I've spent most of my time up until when I moved to the buffalo area right after college and then 8 months later to out here in South Central NYS

Joe
1972 VW Westfalia

Reply #112August 20, 2006, 01:51:09 am

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #112 on: August 20, 2006, 01:51:09 am »
i did the  start up on the  gen for a pump station there in  warren,pa
it was snowin like crazy too,driving up route 62? to get there from rt 80,there were these huge pine trees along the road,and they had huge chunks of snow falling off them hitting the service van,it was like huge white "boulders" of puffy snow landing on the van :shock: i didnt wet myself,but ill never forget that ride :wink:
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #113August 20, 2006, 08:42:35 am

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

« Reply #113 on: August 20, 2006, 08:42:35 am »
I think I know exactly where you are talking about coming up RT62 from 80. Some of that is through the national forest and it is "right there" . I can vouch for some of those experiences :)

Joe
1972 VW Westfalia

Reply #114August 20, 2006, 07:22:11 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #114 on: August 20, 2006, 07:22:11 pm »
how comes everyone is afraid to break in there engine on synthetic, or is it just one of those things where no one knows if it will be bad or not, and they don't wanna try it cause if it is bad then you just wasted a motor build for nothing, so everyone just goes dino for safety?
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #115August 20, 2006, 07:26:30 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #115 on: August 20, 2006, 07:26:30 pm »
google answered me, and google says synthetic is fine for break in, but i'd rather have piece of mind...
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #116August 20, 2006, 07:56:32 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

« Reply #116 on: August 20, 2006, 07:56:32 pm »
Actually...in doing some digging on break in with synthetic vs. conventional...  Audi actually starts there motors supposedly and suggests initial break in with dino oil. The "idea" I've gotten from reading about them as well as a few other places and digging in the archives of TDIClub is that dino is better to break in the motor because of the reduced interval it actually takes to break the motor in with dino vs. synthetic?

In re-reading that it makes no sense...or sounds jumbly... but initial break in because of synthetics "more slippery" consistency vs. conventional oil you could be breaking in a motor with synthetic for ALOT longer. Supposedly in reading through on TDI club about some new ring installs, etc there are tests out there that show that rings seat and break in better along with other vital components with dino than they do with synthetic... they break in either way yes, but from the readings those broke in with dino oil broke in faster than those with synthetics from the get go.

Either way...I changed the oil today in the car... with dino.... again at 1 thousand and we'll see... That amsoil is sitting there and tempting to be in the car and since its 15w-40 I'd rather use it sooner than later (unless someone is interested in buying it...) as I'll probably eventually switch to the 5w-30 it seems that everyone is running. I honestly didn't even check into it when I was building the motor to see that everyone was really running 5w-30 vs. 15w-40 anymore. I always used to run it...oh well. :)

If someone is interested in the info, i can post...

Joe
1972 VW Westfalia

Reply #117August 20, 2006, 11:16:30 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #117 on: August 20, 2006, 11:16:30 pm »
nah that makes sense to me. the rings need friction in order to seat. i've also read about driving a car in controlled intervals, and doing say first a wot run to  3k, then a wot run to 4k, and then a wot run to 5k , just examples, but that's supposed to help seat the rings very well.  and that babying it ain't always good, but obviously to an extent it is.

Reply #118August 21, 2006, 08:14:03 am

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

« Reply #118 on: August 21, 2006, 08:14:03 am »
only place I'm really babying is boost wise...staying around 10psi or so... not going to take it to 20 until I feel comfortable with it broken in...

Joe
1972 VW Westfalia

Reply #119August 21, 2006, 11:07:27 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #119 on: August 21, 2006, 11:07:27 pm »
20 is nothing,the boost wont killya,,boost it allday,its the feuling,keep it turned down onthe pump,but dont worry,letit go 20-25,,,what do you plan on letting it go to with that turbo??you know me,i like to ride with an almost closed wastegate 30+psi ,dont worry about 20,itll be fine
Throttle cables ftw

S-PAutomotive.com