S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: TDI-M in Non-VW  (Read 26559 times)

May 13, 2006, 01:07:40 am

deepmud

• Junior

TDI-M in Non-VW
« on: May 13, 2006, 01:07:40 am »
I have gotten my TDI-M from Ultim8vw (Peter on TDIclub)

Won't be running for awhile but I wanted to share a few pics. Love the intake manifold. Looks high-flow and all. 8)

Engine was a 130hp 1999 Passat - I'm still learning the details of the hybrid pump. For instance, I don't know if it uses the 1.9td pump shaft, or the 1.9TDI pump shaft - since it's supposed to be using the internals of the TDI - I think it's the shaft and cam, etc. inside the 1.9td housing.[/img]

the 1.9TD/Suzuki w/big tires guy
visit Alaska @ www.alaska4x4network.com

Reply #1May 14, 2006, 04:46:50 pm

deepmud

• Junior

TDI-M in Non-VW
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 04:46:50 pm »

the new home. work continues.

Reply #2May 25, 2006, 04:18:47 pm

macsdub

• Junior

TDI-M in Non-VW
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 04:18:47 pm »
nice :!: lookin good i really like the tdi-m setups
i heard in europe that they were mech. at first anyways,i dont know,can anyone confirm this??
most of the time this is hilfolk'r... ive forgotten my password

Reply #3May 26, 2006, 10:36:09 pm

Piper106

• User+

TDI-M in Non-VW
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 10:36:09 pm »
macsdub

As far as I have seen in 4 years of Internet VW diesel board watching, all VW direct injection engines (TDI and SDI) for both Europe and US/Canada came from the factory with electronic controlled injection pumps, never a mechanical controlled pump.  

If someone has a VW or Bosch part number for a VW factory issue TDI or SDI mechanical pump feel free to post up and prove me wrong.  Just easy on the "I don't know the part number but I know a guy who knew a guy whose half brother's uncle swears he had one" posts.  

deepmud

Looks real nice.  The TDI is going into another Suzuki Samurai right?  Did you make your own trans adapter and motor mounts, or can you share who you got the adapter stuff from?  

Piper106

Reply #4May 26, 2006, 11:42:26 pm

QuickTD

• Veteran

TDI-M in Non-VW
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 11:42:26 pm »
i heard in europe that they were mech. at first anyways,i dont know,can anyone confirm this??

Nope, I'll also concur, VW never produced a mechanical direct injection engine. They did produce the mechanical indirect injection 1.9TD in europe and canada, which may be where the confusion is coming from. The 1.9TD is basically a bored and stroked 1.6TD.

Reply #5May 27, 2006, 08:53:27 am

macsdub

• Junior

TDI-M in Non-VW
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 08:53:27 am »
ok no prob,i wasnt sure..
um, i have a 84 jetta td pump,with a 12mm head on mine,i dont have the numbers offhand,but i know i gave some info to "zeroroll" give him an im
maybe i posted my pump numbers here or on vortex, i gave the part number for a cummins pump somewhere that i had(rob the 12mm head from it,and put it on a td pump)
most of the time this is hilfolk'r... ive forgotten my password

Reply #6June 02, 2006, 03:54:26 am

deepmud

• Junior

TDI-M in Non-VW
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 03:54:26 am »
Quote from: Piper106
macsdub

deepmud

Looks real nice.  The TDI is going into another Suzuki Samurai right?  Did you make your own trans adapter and motor mounts, or can you share who you got the adapter stuff from?  

Piper106

www.acmeadapters.com has kits to adapt to Toyota, Suzuki Samurai, Suzuki Sidekick.

It's getting there :D

Reply #7June 02, 2006, 12:51:11 pm

Benjamin

• Veteran

TDI-M in Non-VW
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 12:51:11 pm »
cool  8)

Greetz, Benjamin
SMOG alert, engine running again!
Must make +250hp

Reply #8June 05, 2006, 12:14:03 pm

jwspin

• Junior

TDI-M in Non-VW
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 12:14:03 pm »
that sure looks like it will be more fun than a 2wd VW. dont get me wrong i love all my dubs but wheelin is just plain ol' fun.

-jared

Reply #9June 15, 2006, 01:08:07 am

deepmud

• Junior

TDI-M in Non-VW
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 01:08:07 am »
I was working towards putting the serpentine belt on - nothing seemed to work. I was thinking of cutting off this pulley thing in the middle, to try a pattern that ran the belt across that point.
Then I found a pic of my motor, just before it got shipped. There's the serpentine, not yet misplaced on the way over but WTF? The pulley thing/mount with no pulley on it looks like it needs to have a dead pulley on on it .....

then I kept digging in my old pics some more - found another Passat, with the fan still on it......WITH THE FAN STILL ON IT!

There's my missing dead pulley. I did tell Peter I couldn't use the fan. However, it would have been better to ship it so I could tear it down to an idler pulley.

So I have to figure a way to make an idler pulley on the fan mount - there's a hollow shaft there, ,with bearings - maybe it won't be too bad.

After that, I have cooling to figure out (I'd love to get Evans but the $$ isn't going to be there plus it's a pain to buy compared to regular longlife Prestone or whatever), then fuel, then battery (not yet in place under the bed - going with Optima, can be mounted on it's side and it's better for weight to have it back there) - then ..... it should move itself around the yard.  A big moment, since EVERYTHING on it is completly custom - brake lines, suspension, driveshafts,motor mouts,tranny mounts, almost nothing is left not built by me or swapped in by me.

:D and this is the SECOND diesel swap into this thing. I must be nuts lol.

Here's a pic of the new exhaust -I was able to cut up and use the old one from the 1.9td, 2" straight pipe going all the way out the back. It was pretty quiet with the k14 - how loud are these VNT turbo'd motors with no muffler/cat/nothin'?

Reply #10June 15, 2006, 11:17:27 am

TDIMeister

• Veteran

TDI-M in Non-VW
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 11:17:27 am »
If that engine is from a 130 HP Passat, what you have is a Pumpe-Duese TDI.  It uses unit injectors for each cylinder instead of a conventional distributor pump.  TDIs have never been mechanical in terms of fuel injection control since their were first introduced in 1989.

Good luck making it mechanical.

Reply #11June 15, 2006, 12:25:05 pm

deepmud

• Junior

TDI-M in Non-VW
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2006, 12:25:05 pm »
I believe I have mis-quoted Petr - looking back in emails, he said 110hp Passat, 1998, not available in the U.S., and configured inline, not transverse. The 130hp number came up in the same conversation as a practical minimum expectation for this engine as configured, with option to adjust for more built in to the custom pump, which did not come with the 110hp engine originally. It's all just numbers untill it runs I guess, but misquoting what the engine came with is confusing, sorry.

As for making a PD into a TDI-M- I would guess taking off the unit injectors would pretty much end it's PD-ness, so at that point it's back to TDI-M like already is out there. The 2.0 4-valve engine still might make it worthwhile - but I don't know about a way to replace the PD unit injector with a non-PD type being possible. If it can be done, the a "was-PD-now-isn't" might be a cool off-road rig, but the PD is already a good injection system that makes a lot of power - I don't see them getting converted to mechanical very often even if it is possible.

Reply #12September 18, 2006, 08:01:30 pm

deepmud

• Junior

TDI-M in Non-VW
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2006, 08:01:30 pm »
well - I got it running. but I think the timing is off. It will run with cold advance on full, but only about 1100 rpm - add more fuel and you get white-smoke/unburnt fuel (LOTS and LOTS - my whole house and yard smells ICK!), and clattery/misfire sounds. I think it might be 180 off - but I need to find a way to check.

I searched and searched and found a reference to late model 1.9td timing NOT needing a dial indicator - also, there is no VW flywheel and bellhousing here either. I think the pump was mounted without this as well - I don't know what he (the Czech Tech :D )did to determine TDC compression #1. I think I can find TDC by pulling the pan - compression may require pulling the glowplug, which is THE SUCK - so perhaps pulling the valve cover?

Then if I have TDC compression stroke, #1 cylinder - what's the timing procedure for the late model 1.9td with adjustable pulley, no dial indicator required?

Reply #13September 18, 2006, 10:09:16 pm

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

TDI-M in Non-VW
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2006, 10:09:16 pm »
Is there still a notch on the camshaft pulley for TDC?  On the "inner" rim of the pulley, there should be a little notch that will line up with the flat part of the valve cover on the side opposite the intake/exhaust manifolds.  I.E. where the "flange" of the valve cover bolts to the head.  I did notice there was a cover on the inner side of the cam pulley- probably will not be able to see it with that there.  Sorry if this is information you already knew!  :D

Other than the compression trick, not sure you can do it any other way besides pulling the valve cover.  (which really isnt that bad.....)

Brendan
84 Scirocco 8v
00 Camaro L36 M49
81 Scirocco 'S -->Soon to be m-TDI
93 Corrado SLC VR6
'86 Golf N/A Diesel  -->Wife's car
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

"I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess....."

-Red Green

Reply #14September 18, 2006, 10:12:37 pm

coke

• Veteran

TDI-M in Non-VW
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2006, 10:12:37 pm »
You can pull an injector and stick something like a coathanger (after being straightened out of course) down the hole and rotate the engine till its at the top. (When the coathanger stops moving I mean). Once you get the engine at TDC, ensure the valves are also in the proper position. Make marks on your flywheel and camshaft sprocket that align with something, perhaps a mark on the valve cover for the cam, flywheel + bell housing for the crank. The pump should have some indication of a mark to be lined up. Then you wont have this problem again and you wont have to remove an injector every time you wana ensure your engine is at TDC.

Fixmyvw.com