NOLA Speed and Style

Author Topic: 81 Caddy. 1.6d Serious suspension rattle in the front. Rear is fine.  (Read 107 times)

April 13, 2018, 03:30:50 pm

The_Gump

• Personal Text
    Give 'em the ol' Razzle Dazzle!
    • View Profile
There has been a serious rattle under the front end coming from the suspension since I purchased the truck. The driver's side is quite a lot worse than the passenger side, but when i had it up on stands I couldn't find anything that felt even remotely loose. Every time I go over a bump (even the smallest of them) it sounds like its going to fall out from under me. Also, the steering column bearing keeps sliding out. I can't get it to stay in its housing.

2003 Mk4 Golf 2.0 (Daily/Family Whip)
1981 Caddy 1.6d (Restoration in Progress)

Reply #1April 13, 2018, 10:18:55 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy and cleaning the Rabbit for sale
    • View Profile
Re: 81 Caddy. 1.6d Serious suspension rattle in the front. Rear is fine.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 10:18:55 pm »
Those steering bearings are supposed to be pushed in but once the plastic breaks down they just never stay in place. 

Could the struts be bad in the front?  Are there the proper sized collar at the top of the strut where the support is located?

I have a similar noise coming from my Rabbit and it showed up about the time I replaced the struts.  So I am not sure it is in any of the other parts.

Now Own 1981 Caddy as the NEW DISTRACTION to all that is around me.  Project Away!

Reply #2April 14, 2018, 12:52:54 pm

The_Gump

• Personal Text
    Give 'em the ol' Razzle Dazzle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 12:52:54 pm »
Dang it. MY steering wheel is just Rattle Town, USA when that bearing is out. Its super hard to get any kind of tool in there to push it back up too. Oh without a doubt they are bad. Its like watching a waterbed when you push on either corner. I'm debating on replacing the entire strut assembly. Everything is super rusty.
2003 Mk4 Golf 2.0 (Daily/Family Whip)
1981 Caddy 1.6d (Restoration in Progress)

Reply #3April 14, 2018, 05:56:41 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy and cleaning the Rabbit for sale
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 05:56:41 pm »
Working on the steering wheel column is not that hard but getting it out is.  There is a metal spring clip about 1.5 inches wide down at the bottom end that for me is just a bearcat to get off and on.  Removing the steering wheel and taking the four bolts out that hold the steering column at the dash area is a piece of cake.  Pulling the wires off the turn signals and ignition switch are not to bad to do either. 

I just don't contort like I used to, and getting up under the dash by laying across the rocker panel is no fun on my back or hips anymore.  Tough getting old and crippled up.
Now Own 1981 Caddy as the NEW DISTRACTION to all that is around me.  Project Away!

Fixmyvw.com