S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: 81 Caddy. 1.6d Serious suspension rattle in the front. Rear is fine.  (Read 3458 times)

April 13, 2018, 03:30:50 pm

The_Gump

• Personal Text
    Give 'em the ol' Razzle Dazzle!
There has been a serious rattle under the front end coming from the suspension since I purchased the truck. The driver's side is quite a lot worse than the passenger side, but when i had it up on stands I couldn't find anything that felt even remotely loose. Every time I go over a bump (even the smallest of them) it sounds like its going to fall out from under me. Also, the steering column bearing keeps sliding out. I can't get it to stay in its housing.

2003 Mk4 Golf 2.0 (Daily/Family Whip)
1981 Caddy 1.6d (Restoration in Progress)

Reply #1April 13, 2018, 10:18:55 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: 81 Caddy. 1.6d Serious suspension rattle in the front. Rear is fine.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 10:18:55 pm »
Those steering bearings are supposed to be pushed in but once the plastic breaks down they just never stay in place. 

Could the struts be bad in the front?  Are there the proper sized collar at the top of the strut where the support is located?

I have a similar noise coming from my Rabbit and it showed up about the time I replaced the struts.  So I am not sure it is in any of the other parts.

Reply #2April 14, 2018, 12:52:54 pm

The_Gump

• Personal Text
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 12:52:54 pm »
Dang it. MY steering wheel is just Rattle Town, USA when that bearing is out. Its super hard to get any kind of tool in there to push it back up too. Oh without a doubt they are bad. Its like watching a waterbed when you push on either corner. I'm debating on replacing the entire strut assembly. Everything is super rusty.

Reply #3April 14, 2018, 05:56:41 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 05:56:41 pm »
Working on the steering wheel column is not that hard but getting it out is.  There is a metal spring clip about 1.5 inches wide down at the bottom end that for me is just a bearcat to get off and on.  Removing the steering wheel and taking the four bolts out that hold the steering column at the dash area is a piece of cake.  Pulling the wires off the turn signals and ignition switch are not to bad to do either. 

I just don't contort like I used to, and getting up under the dash by laying across the rocker panel is no fun on my back or hips anymore.  Tough getting old and crippled up.

Reply #4April 21, 2018, 03:55:49 pm

The_Gump

• Personal Text
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 03:55:49 pm »
Believe it or not, I fixed that rattle and it wasn't the suspension. Though the shocks are totally shot. It was the dang brakes!! The drivers side didn't have any of the anti rattle springs in the caliper so they were just bouncing around. The passenger side still had the old ones but they were so worn out they fell apart once I pulled the pads. I have a complete front strut assembly sitting on my garage floor right now. just have to get to pulling some bolts and swap them out. I'm going to hang onto the springs though(just in case.) I also have a linkage rebuild kit that I plan on getting to here soon.

Reply #5April 21, 2018, 10:30:51 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 10:30:51 pm »
Nice that you have less to rattle about now.  I was thinking of you as I was pulling my steering wheel off to get to the ignition switch.  I noticed my lower bearing is hanging out on my  pickup now like my Rabbit.  Great.  I also noticed when I was trying to remove the switch that there was a nylon spacer between the steering wheel and the upper bearing.  It pushes on and I was wondering if I could inch that up a little and gain some space for the lower bearing to use.

Not possible as the spacer really controls the amount of distance between the turnsignals and the bottom of the steering wheel.  Only a very minor amount of adjustment in the whole system and it is secured with that one nut on the left side of the steering column.

Thought I was on to something.  But NO. 

Reply #6April 30, 2018, 05:43:42 pm

The_Gump

• Personal Text
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 05:43:42 pm »
Dang. That's lame. Don't you hate it when you think you've got it figured out only to find that you are no where close? On a side note. Do you happen to know an easy way to get the bolts that are holding the front bumper on out? I've been struggling to get them off as I don't really have the space I need to get them off. I got one off and another one to move a little but I can't even really get a dang open end wrench on the other two, let alone a socket.

S-PAutomotive.com