S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: "Stretched" head bolt length  (Read 5300 times)

December 12, 2015, 11:29:23 am

ToddA1

• Veteran

"Stretched" head bolt length
« on: December 12, 2015, 11:29:23 am »
So I made a boo boo and neglected to oil the 12mm head bolts, prior to installation. Bolts were cracking and popping, but I marched forward with the installation.

After a test drive around the block, sure enough, the head gasket was leaking. I have a new set of bolts on the way, and I was planning on swapping and going through the torque process, one at a time. 

My thought was the bolts may not have stretched, if the initial torque specs were never met.

Has anyone ever measured the length of used head bolts vs. the 115mm that new bolts measure?

-Todd

Reply #1December 12, 2015, 12:31:37 pm

RunninWild

• Veteran

Re: "Stretched" head bolt length
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 12:31:37 pm »
When they say stretch bolts they mean more the bolts are stretched in a way that they have spring tension holding them at maximum clamping force. When loosened They should return to practically the same size They were originally. Think of a spring. They shouldnt actually deform and elongate unless overtorqued and stretched too far. Over torqueing them causing them to physical stretch beyond their integrity and creates less clamping force. Basically you're tightening the bolts to the point that they are at their peak holding strength. The reason they arnt reuseable is the integrity of the metal has been compromised once they have been "stretched". Its like bending metal back and forth a bunch of times until it snaps.

Reply #2December 12, 2015, 07:29:39 pm

ToddA1

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 07:29:39 pm »
Hmmmm....  I understand the metal has memory, but I was under the impression they actually elongated and stayed elongated. 

Thanks for the reply.

-Todd

Reply #3December 12, 2015, 10:52:34 pm

air-cooled or diesel

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 10:52:34 pm »
anti-seize will do, i like the copper stuff, although if you torqued correctly not oiling shouldnt cause hg to leak. bolts 'cracking&popping' is normal during 180dg & 90dg turns. ?clean threads in block? i use qtips& brakecleen.

Reply #4December 13, 2015, 04:51:37 am

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 04:51:37 am »
They permanently elongate.
Lay the threads of a new one up  next to the threads of an old one, the only part matching will be that which was protected by  the threads in the block.
They are called  'torque to yield' fasteners because you  tighten them beyond the  elastic range.
You can measure the  difference in length as well.

Clean the threads, you can file a head bolt into a tap if you don't have one the right size.

Installing head bolts dry is one of the stranger assembly choices I've seen.  if you initial torgue is off,  all the subsequent angles are too, although they will usually  still be within range.

Lastly,  if you get the really cheap head  bolts, they don't always work.  We had a  bag of 50 at about $1.40 each, and  25% of them broke off.

I install head gaskets dry and have good luck that way.  if yours is already leaking, I'd be concerned about   contamination from that  compromising the seal, and i'd probably  lift the head enough to dry it and  slip a new gasket in there.  that would also  let you inspect where the  failure occurred.

Reply #5December 16, 2015, 10:30:02 pm

ToddA1

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 10:30:02 pm »
It's a MLS gasket, not fiber. I don't recall seeing any silicone sealing rings on it, so I figure I have nothing to lose, other than the cost of the head bolts.   The gasket cost me $55 + shipping, so I figure it's worth a shot.  I paid $20 plus shipping for the German bolts.

If the used bolts measure the same as the new bolts, maybe I'll reuse them and see what happens.

I've read others had luck with the "one at a time method", where it cured their leaks.

-Todd

Reply #6December 17, 2015, 07:58:45 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 07:58:45 am »
i wouldn't do that again with out sticking a new gasket in.  if it werent leaking already itd be a different story. but i have messed up the foil around the cylinders before and had to redo a headgasket,  just depends how much your time is worth to you haha.
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #7December 17, 2015, 10:05:06 am

RunninWild

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2015, 10:05:06 am »
I reused a mls gasket and got it to seal. That being said it sealed the first time and I drilled out the rivers cleaned it very well and applied copper gasket spray on each surface. I also used arp studs. Like rabbit said, if you have more time then money it won't hurt to try.

Reply #8December 17, 2015, 02:51:04 pm

ToddA1

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2015, 02:51:04 pm »
I doubt I put 500 miles per year on the truck.  It was perfectly fine with the 1.6.  I have no clue why I put a AAZ in it. Not sure if I'll complete the installation of the turbo or TD IP.

I'm gonna try this weekend. If it sits a week or month longer, no worries. I only want to get it running so I can have another running vehicle.

-Todd

Reply #9December 25, 2015, 04:04:54 pm

ToddA1

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2015, 04:04:54 pm »
I finally got to swapping the bolts, today. Oddly enough, the new bolts were a smidge shorter than the used bolts. Both sets were the same Viictor Reinz brand and both sets were made in Germany.

I nested the threads together on a new vs. used bolt, and although tight, the fit wasn't prefect. I decided to use new bolts.

About an hour later, I start it up and hear a hissing after shutdown.  The head gasket still leaks. Guess I'm ordering a new MLS head gasket.... maybe I'll spray it down with some copper spray for cheap insurance.

-Todd

Reply #10December 26, 2015, 12:30:36 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2015, 12:30:36 pm »
mls is harder to seal than a fiber gasket.

did you check to see if both surfaces are flat?

Reply #11December 27, 2015, 09:30:05 pm

ToddA1

• Veteran

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2015, 09:30:05 pm »
No, I didn't. This was a running engine, that the PO started breaking down for no apparent reason, after the intermediate shaft froze for a couple seconds in his garage.  Engine was immediately shut down when he heard the belt squealing. 

His plan was to rebuild it, just to rebuild it.  He ended up installing a gas engine that he understood, more. It didn't overheat or anything, so I had no reason to think something was warped.

It turned out being the oil pump.  I pulled the main caps and the bearings looked perfect.

I've also heard what you stated about the MLS gaskets.  Thought the spray would help. 

I also see that Bentley recommends  another 90° angle, after running the engine to operating temp IF running a fiber gasket.  At this point, I have nothing to lose, so I was considering adding a 45° angle.

Any idea where to get a 1 hole fiber gasket for a AAZ?

-Todd

Reply #12December 28, 2015, 06:32:55 pm

ToddA1

• Veteran

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2015, 06:32:55 pm »
I was able to get the extra 45° on the bolts, installed the valve cover, plugged the block vent and started it up.  Let it run for a minute, shut it down and didn't hear any hissing... it worked! 

Started it back up, sprayed some degreaser on the engine, and started cleaning up.  About 5 minutes later, I heard the idle jump, maybe 500rpm.  Shut it down and I heard hissing... I guess it didn't work.

Called GAP and ordered another MLS HG. I was told fiber was never available for AAZ and I wasn't going to argue. At least the HG was $20 cheaper than I thought.

-Todd

Reply #13December 28, 2015, 08:30:30 pm

RunninWild

• Veteran

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2015, 08:30:30 pm »
If you want to run a fiber gasket just use a 1.6td one.

Reply #14December 29, 2015, 12:33:27 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2015, 12:33:27 am »
fiber wasn't available for aaz, I must have missed aaz in your post. Check both block and head for flatness before throwing the new gasket on.

S-PAutomotive.com