Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: "Stretched" head bolt length  (Read 5303 times)

Reply #15December 29, 2015, 07:35:56 pm

ToddA1

• Veteran

Re: "Stretched" head bolt length
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2015, 07:35:56 pm »
The 1.6 TD gasket will work, without issue?

I don't have a machinist straight edge, but could check with what I have.

Why am I not getting notifications of posts, all of a sudden....?

-Todd

Reply #16December 29, 2015, 07:42:16 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2015, 07:42:16 pm »
I'm not sure if the cylinder holes in the 1.6 gasket are large enough for the 1.9 pistons. 

Reply #17December 29, 2015, 08:17:44 pm

ToddA1

• Veteran

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2015, 08:17:44 pm »
That was my main concern....  I see 1.6 engines running the 1.9 gasket, but not the other way around.

1.6 gasket would also be missing the steam holes, but they could be added.

It appears that the 1.6 hydraulic IDI vs. 1.9 IDI gasket's thicknesses, match in relation to notches/holes, but if piston bore won't work, it's a moot point.

-Todd

Reply #18January 09, 2016, 08:33:53 pm

ToddA1

• Veteran

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2016, 08:33:53 pm »
Finally got to this today.

Head appeared flat with my non-machinist straight edge. Block appeared the same, although I've never seen a warped block.  New MLS gasket with 3 coats of copper spray and 1 extra coat for good luck...

Something I noticed on the paper that came with the gasket was, it was it recommended lubing the threads and under the bolt head to washer, yet it was highly emphatic to not get oil under the "washer to the head seating surface"... not sure what that's about or why it matters...

Sprayed carb cleaner in the head, all bolt and oil drain holes in an attempt to clean any residual oil that could potentially contaminate the new gasket; did this several times. Cleaned the block and head faces at least a dozen times... squeaky clean.

Used ARP Ultra Torque thread lube on the bolts and ran through the torque procedure; added an additional torque spec before the angles. One thing I noticed was absolutely no cracking or popping... the last time I did this with new bolts, I used Mobil 1 TD Truck and it wasn't as silky smooth as using the ARP lube.

I'll button it up and start it, tomorrow... fingers crossed. 

-Todd

Reply #19January 09, 2016, 09:44:13 pm

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2016, 09:44:13 pm »
I was able to get the extra 45° on the bolts, installed the valve cover, plugged the block vent and started it up.  Let it run for a minute, shut it down and didn't hear any hissing... it worked! 

Started it back up, sprayed some degreaser on the engine, and started cleaning up.  About 5 minutes later, I heard the idle jump, maybe 500rpm.  Shut it down and I heard hissing... I guess it didn't work.

-Todd
sure it wasn't  pressure escaping  from the blocked vent?

Reply #20January 10, 2016, 04:14:28 pm

ToddA1

• Veteran

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2016, 04:14:28 pm »
Sir, you hit the nail on the head!  After starting the truck, letting it run then shutting down, I wasn't hearing any hissing. I did this several times, in 5-10 minute intervals. Took it on the highway, came home, shut it down and heard hissing.

I was about to park the truck and reinstall the 1.6 that recently came out. Started spraying soapy water over the injectors, glow plugs, head gasket seam etc. didn't see any bubbles. Then I saw bubbles at the plastic CCV tube flange.

Since this is a mixture of a AAZ long lock and 1.6 accessories, I didn't have a way to plumb the puck to the intake. I tossed a cap on it.  Once I pulled the cap, no more hissing.   

What had me confused is why it took so long to start hissing. Pressure would have built up with a few revolutions.

Anyway, the engine was degreased and I let the engine run for about 30 minutes. No oil leaks at the VC gasket or HG, so that's a relief.

Need to plumb the puck to the intake and fix the leaking CCV flange leak and I have a driveable truck, again.

I still need to rebuild a IP, install the larger camplate, and 10 mm head and install the turbo.

-Todd

Reply #21January 10, 2016, 06:36:29 pm

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2016, 06:36:29 pm »
Well that beats another HG!

I had one  with enough blowby to  shut the CCV.
 Smoke, hissing, leaking.....
I didn't want to  shut down out of worry about not being able to restart.
At idle, I  unscrewed the oil cap to see how much blowby there was.
It still had enough pressure to  rip the cap out of my hand, bounce it off the hood, and shoot so far  off the side of the road I wasn't able to find it ever.
Made it home though.

Reply #22January 10, 2016, 07:29:38 pm

ToddA1

• Veteran

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2016, 07:29:38 pm »
Yeah, tell me about it. When I heard that hissing, it felt like I got kicked in the nuts!  Thankfully, I collected my wits, before I made any irrational decisions.

I covered the puck outlet with my hand and didn't feel a lot of pressure. I'm thinking the CCV tube seals when cold, but once warmed up, the o-ring or a crack opens, leading to the hissing.

-Todd

S-PAutomotive.com