Author Topic: Compression Test Injector Adapter for 1.6 Mk2 Engine???  (Read 10875 times)

Reply #45May 26, 2014, 05:32:06 am

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

Re: Compression Test Injector Adapter for 1.6 Mk2 Engine???
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2014, 05:32:06 am »
Be careful in snatching,snapping, yanking or jerking the injectors free. This is not a simple bolt in an infinitely strong block of material.
The injector is a lot stronger than the socket.

Using an air driver will work until you come across a n injector that has carbon up the threads, and then it will[may] strip the threads.
These issues show up as the freed injector immediately gets harder to turn again.
Do it manually. to and fro with solvent fluid. .

If they have not been out for a long time , use a penetrating fluid.
If you don't have a 'T' bar with extensions, use a breaker bar with two long extensions to the socket. this will give some sloppyness.

Best practice:
If you use a universal joint as first adapter on the injector socket you will all but remove any stray leverage and pass on near pure torque.
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #46May 26, 2014, 10:01:32 am

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2014, 10:01:32 am »
When using an impact I always loosen, tighten, loosen, tighten the whole way out. I can usually tell by the noise my gun is making if the injector is getting harder to turn from carbon etc.

Actually I do the same no matter what tool I'm using.
Tyler

Reply #47May 28, 2014, 01:37:27 pm

ftm1776

• Junior

« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2014, 01:37:27 pm »
Just thought I would throw this into the mix to see what comments might be generated......

Just remember that checking compression through the glowplug hole on the head will give you lower readings than through the injector on any IDI diesel.On VW IDI's for example the glow pulg adapter test would give you a reading of 350 psi after 5 cranks and through the injector it would be 400 psi I,ve consistantly seen a 50 psi difference between the two tests.

This doesn't make sense to me if I understand the combustion chamber configuration correctly.

Comments, please.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 01:41:31 pm by ftm1776 »
Thomas, Original and sole owner since new:
1991 Jetta NA 1.6 diesel, Engine Code ME, 5 speed, AWY transmission, Hydraulic Lifters
293,000 miles
LOOKING FOR A GOOD VW DIESEL ENGINE BUILDER ON THE WEST COAST

Reply #48May 28, 2014, 03:18:13 pm

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2014, 03:18:13 pm »
Just remember that checking compression through the glowplug hole on the head will give you lower readings than through the injector on any IDI diesel.On VW IDI's for example the glow pulg adapter test would give you a reading of 350 psi after 5 cranks and through the injector it would be 400 psi I,ve consistantly seen a 50 psi difference between the two tests.

I can't think of any good reason why... if the GP adapter has a check valve like the injector adapter. (Maybe he got it backwards?)  :-\

Reply #49May 28, 2014, 04:05:56 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2014, 04:05:56 pm »

I can't think of any good reason why... if the GP adapter has a check valve like the injector adapter. (Maybe he got it backwards?)  :-\
Maybe he had two 'dedicated' gauges...
Or the dummy glowplug had no penis :o
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #50May 28, 2014, 04:57:14 pm

ftm1776

• Junior

« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2014, 04:57:14 pm »
I'm going to check this out on #4 cylinder when I do my first compression check.......I vs GP adapters.

I can just see all holes filled.......8 gauges, wow !!!!
Thomas, Original and sole owner since new:
1991 Jetta NA 1.6 diesel, Engine Code ME, 5 speed, AWY transmission, Hydraulic Lifters
293,000 miles
LOOKING FOR A GOOD VW DIESEL ENGINE BUILDER ON THE WEST COAST

Fixmyvw.com