S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Ultimate winter mode? Problems and solutions..., also, in cab heater anyone?  (Read 8470 times)

December 12, 2013, 08:45:27 am

Enslaved_Pickle

• User+

So, I thought I would be ready for winter this year, but I guess not.
Specs- 1.9 aaz freshly rebuilt pump, 250,000k "ish" on the motor, timed to .97mm

I bout,
-new winter tires
-new bosch duraterms
-new rad
-new thermostat
-new heatercore
-new oem battery
-made custom glow plug bus bar
-only use fully synthetic Castrol edge in the motor and redline mt-90 in trans

But this morning I went to start the car (in Windsor Ontario) and it was 12F or -11 and 85% humidity, and had some problems for the first time. The car started pretty well up until this point, and it had only sat for a day. I cycled the glow plugs 3 times like I usually do in the winter and it started right up like it usually does, but then after a minute or so (about the time the afterglow stops I'm assuming) the car shook and died. It did this 2 more times before it decided to stay running, on the last crank I almost killed the battery, I know a lot of you live in colder climates then me so your input would be appreciated :)

My questions for the gurus

1.) should I be expecting this behavior at these temps without a block heater? Or should I be checking compression and doing rings?

2.) I like the stock glow plug relay, but should I be installing a push button bypass to keep them glowing if need be?

3.) I'm also entertaining the idea of installing a diesel powered cab heater since I'm usually back home after dropping off the wife and the car is still cold, even with cardboard blocking half the rad. Anyone done this? Does it keep the interior "toasty"??

Pics for clicks :) In the process of painting white

Mk3 1.9L turbo diesel rat

Reply #1December 12, 2013, 09:13:04 am

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
A block heater should not be needed until subzero, unless low compression. I'd check compression first... Always good to know anyway.

A block heater is also nice for ready cabin heat, but a good heater core can deliver comfortable cabin temps in 10min of surface street operation.

You might block the entire grille, instead of part of the radiator, it will block all ram-flow but still allow the fan to draw sufficient air through the radiator when needed.

Reply #2December 12, 2013, 09:20:15 am

bbob203

• Veteran

Its odd i have no problem getting heat in my mtdi in just a few minutes.
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent
Need a car transported a long distance? Pm me for details.

Reply #3December 12, 2013, 11:30:37 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
did it smoke once when it started???

i think if it is actually starting then compression or glow plugs isn't the issue, i think i'd be checking for  air in the fuel lines or a poor connection to the fuel stop solenoid.
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #4December 12, 2013, 11:35:10 am

vwsb1974

• Junior

it could be the fuel gelling I don't at what temp diesel gells but that might be part of it

Reply #5December 12, 2013, 11:45:38 am

bbob203

• Veteran

That should not happen to diesel sold in canada or anything north of the mason dixon for that matter.
only time i ever had an issue with gelling is when i bought an eco diesel in south carolina and it had been sitting since the summer between gelled fuel, cold temps in wv and an old fuel filter life was hard for that drive home..
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent

Reply #6December 12, 2013, 12:33:33 pm

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
^ yup... BDTD.

<10oF  this morning... started my '86 1st try (I still need to put in winter oil).  I have recent compression readings somewhere... this motor got a HG last winter.

It could be a bubble of air near the tank, making its way to the IP in a minute or two. Do these have water-separators?

Reply #7December 12, 2013, 02:25:43 pm

Enslaved_Pickle

• User+

Not really any smoke,

I forgot about the possibility of air, the though didn't cross my mind since i rebuilt and checked everything last january when i built the car,

-tank is clean
- lines are free of cracks and pinholes
- new fuel filter "has 30,000k on it now"

But i left the check valves in :/ I pressure checked them under water before i reinstalled them but i do get the occasional bubble in the pump inlet line.

So to the people that have deleted the check valves do you have any trouble with the car running if you're climbing a mountain or after you parked on a hill?

Reply #8December 12, 2013, 03:03:36 pm

bbob203

• Veteran

unless your tank is near empty you should have no issues. I have no check valves on my mtdi passat or my mk2 eco. 
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent

Reply #9December 12, 2013, 07:22:23 pm

8v-of-fury!

A few air bubbles in the IN line every now and again seem to be fairly normal.

I run a 12v electric pump, that is 12v keyed hot.. so if I ever have loss of prime for whatever reason, it is a non-issue and I am not stranded because of it.

Reply #10December 14, 2013, 12:03:46 pm

the caveman

• Veteran

Sounds like it ran with the fuel that was in the pump and lines, then stalled because the fuel filter is frozen. At 30,000 kms your fuel filter is due to be changed. Any small amount of water will freeze the element with that much mileage.
" I'm a vegetarian,not because i love animals, it's because i hate plants"
1970 Type 3 fastback
1972 Renault 12
1971 Super Beetle 140 HP 159 ft lbs
1987 Fox
1989 TD Jetta
1990 Fox
1989 Fox
1998 TDI Jetta
1990 T3 German MIL Transporter 1.9 na Giles super pump
1997 Jetta GLX TDI

Reply #11December 14, 2013, 06:49:43 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
After reading this botton to top I have to agree with The Caveman,  too much time on the fuel filter and with the drop in temps your out of fuel at the filter after start up.  Pull the filter off and change it.  Drain it into a glass jar after it warms up to 35 or so and see if there is water in there.  It doesn't take much when conditions get like you describe. 

Why don' t you have heat?  Plugged system somewhere?  Bad valve?  I would also entirely block the radiator.  Had to do it all the time on the Jeep.  Still got plenty of air from underneath when moving. 

Reply #12December 14, 2013, 08:43:26 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

The cold air entering the engine compartment can make the engine run colder, but the cold air going through the radiator has no effect unless the thermostat is not working.  In other words, placing a piece of cardboard behind the radiator will raise coolant temps the same as a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator.  The temperature of the coolant in the radiator does not affect the temperature of the coolant in the engine or heater circuit until the thermostat is not functioning properly or is fully open which never happens in cold weather. 

Reply #13December 15, 2013, 07:52:28 pm

Enslaved_Pickle

• User+

It almost stalled again today so i'll be replacing the fuel filter next chance i get. And it does have heat, it just takes about 23 minutes or more to heat up (according to gauge) and even when it does its not very hot, when it snows or rains all the windows fog up, and the passengers are never warm, ....deleted ac when i got the car however.......

Last winter (running 2.0 gas) the heat was hot enough to remove fog off all windows, the only thing i can think of is the aftermarket thermostat (carquest..not oem) opens too soon and stays open

Reply #14December 17, 2013, 12:44:13 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
Re:
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2013, 12:44:13 pm »
Or the foam on the blend door has failed, which is super duper uber common. Had any little foam chunks blowing out of your vents lately?
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen