Author Topic: R5 TDi...  (Read 9212 times)

October 01, 2013, 01:57:34 pm

Henk

• Junior

R5 TDi...
« on: October 01, 2013, 01:57:34 pm »
To all you guys in North America, sorry ;)
Right so I got a Volvo V70 a few weeks back, 140hp/290nm Audi inline 5 2.5L and it goes fantastically, blows any 4 cyl tdi i've had out of the water.
Sadly i'm having a real hard time trying to find a donor so I can use the same engine in the caddy.
Does anyone know if the VW LT engine is the same, and will bolt up to an Audi longitudinal 'box?
Do i need a different 'box, the one i have at the moment is attached to a 1Z that i need rid of, code on it is WW0 3 - 012 301 103 J ?
So far the ideal donor i believe would be an Audi 100 or C4 A6, for gearbox and engine?

And when i finally source another, i'll probably mech pump it with one of the 300tdi pumps i have, then looking to twin turbo it one way or another
but i still have all that fun ahead of me!

Mid Engine
Berg Cup
M-TDi
Caddy!

Reply #1October 01, 2013, 02:21:15 pm

CRSMP5

Re: R5 TDi...
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 02:21:15 pm »
with a welder you can do anything.... but you know audi is logintudanal vs transverse.. so you damb near need a eurovan 5 speed after you make the car wider to fit the 5...

Reply #2October 01, 2013, 03:02:31 pm

Henk

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 03:02:31 pm »
that's what i'm after :)

Excuse the work in progress.
Mid Engine
Berg Cup
M-TDi
Caddy!

Reply #3October 01, 2013, 03:23:22 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 03:23:22 pm »
old school 5000/100 audi 5 speed... this way you can look into what the quattro ralley people did for grearing and such.. shold have some nice options...

Reply #4October 01, 2013, 04:06:40 pm

Henk

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 04:06:40 pm »
yeah i suspected the 100 was the best donor, but they're really hard to come by it seems!
Hopefully can just keep the stock gears and whatnot, somewhat taller wheels already.
But not having any luck finding an LSD for it
Mid Engine
Berg Cup
M-TDi
Caddy!

Reply #5October 01, 2013, 06:57:01 pm

snakemaster

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 06:57:01 pm »
gear box from a 80 tdi has the two sets of holes from what i can mind  for 4, and the 5 pot , and if you cant get one the 100 tdi box will fit and the LT , and the volvo 2.5 tdi (vw) engine will fit all the above boxes , i have Mtdi a LT engine with the audi a6 turbo and manafold , its in my truck its a ahu with a nother pot , thers a guy put one in a old 77 audi 100 , runs up to 300hp 600lb/t
Glenmorangie  single highland malt

Reply #6October 02, 2013, 08:27:38 am

Henk

• Junior

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 08:27:38 am »
Fantastic, that's the kind of answer i was hoping for :)
Looking like the volvo is going to be the easiest engine to find.
Will be having a mech pump too, what did you use for yours?
I thought they were like the AHU but got told to shut up and they were completely different. isn't the IP on the other side of the engine or something odd?
Mid Engine
Berg Cup
M-TDi
Caddy!

Reply #7October 02, 2013, 09:06:07 am

snakemaster

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 09:06:07 am »
i used a 2.4 idi pump moded to a Mtdi  , and it turns ACW and on the other end (fly wheel end) , it would be beter  to fit a 2.4 pump bracket to , i never and the pump has lots of moovment as there is no spigot to hold it in the center , i have not had the time to find out if a nother pump body fits beter and lines up , but may soon as i have got a nother t4 transported 102 hp 2.5 tdi 5 and it dont come on song untill 2000rpm and its crap but with a MTDI pump 1350 ish rpm she be kicking ass and way more lb/t , why  is Etdi so crap ??

Reply #8October 02, 2013, 01:00:31 pm

Henk

• Junior

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 01:00:31 pm »
oh okay, i think i'd look at combining the landy pump but pretty much kitting it out for an extra injector, have seen something of that ilk done before.
Won't do it myself though, job for someone who knows what they're doing!
I suppose pump location isn't that critical, as long as the belt engages properly.
sounds like an impressive difference, no smoke or anything either?
Mid Engine
Berg Cup
M-TDi
Caddy!

Reply #9October 09, 2013, 09:10:43 am

snakemaster

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 09:10:43 am »
i have not had my truck out for a road test so cant tell how the power or smoke is yet , i will have a look at the LR pump and see if the
e 5 pot tdi pump head + etc will mount up to the LR pump and if it bolts up to the tdi bracket and inline with the pullys , when i get some time

Reply #10November 07, 2013, 04:32:56 pm

Henk

• Junior

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 04:32:56 pm »
Right engine will be here tomorrow. (infamous last words...)

So, talk to me about making this dirty diesel fast!
Talking to DSS to get some .260 Ultime2 nozzles, which isn't proving simple at the moment :p but Shadowmaker loved them
Turbo's... Something I've got a lot to learn about, but I think this engine will be well suited to twins better than a 4 cyl anyway. sadly the more i think about it the more i think an electronic control might be wisest so I can control what will be some 500+Nm trying to turn the gearbox into metal shavings.
How big do VNT turbo's go up to?  :D seems anything decent sized is on the American trucks :(
Pump, as mentioned hopefully I can get this modified to make a mech pump for the 5 cyl engine
I'm quite keen on the idea of integrating 4 Laminova 'tubes' into a custom/modified inlet manifold, thoughts on this idea? Plenum before, bit of a space behind and splitting into the runners as per stock
Head porting, not sure if i trust myself to do it ha ha, but got a spare 1.6D engine, and an AHU head here to practice with i suppose.

Any advice or criticism welcome!
Hopefully it'll be a worthwhile finished product ;)
Mid Engine
Berg Cup
M-TDi
Caddy!

Reply #11November 07, 2013, 05:26:57 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 05:26:57 pm »

Talking to DSS to get some .260 Ultime2 nozzles, which isn't proving simple at the moment :p but Shadowmaker loved them

Tell me about it - I have yet to find anyone who can actually get me nozzles right now.  They seem to be out of stock / not available practically everywhere.  I'm looking for something around the .260 / .275 range.

Turbo's... Something I've got a lot to learn about, but I think this engine will be well suited to twins better than a 4 cyl anyway. sadly the more i think about it the more i think an electronic control might be wisest so I can control what will be some 500+Nm trying to turn the gearbox into metal shavings.
How big do VNT turbo's go up to?  :D seems anything decent sized is on the American trucks :(

They go plenty big... :)

I'm planning on a GTB1756VK - there are quite a few folks who have them running in the mid-200HP range on 4-cylinder TDIs.  The GTB2260 is a popular upgrade too - there's folks up closer to 300HP with those over on tdiclub.

I bought my 1756 through this guy:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=397105

It's rebuilt rather than new, saved me quite a bit though.  Came already converted for vacuum operation.

Likewise I'm planning on using an electronic VNT controller.  :)  I actually have all my parts here for it now, just need to get around to building it.

Pump, as mentioned hopefully I can get this modified to make a mech pump for the 5 cyl engine

That is going to take someone who REALLY knows their pumps.  You'd need the camplate and pump head from a 5-cyl DI engine.  Probably the rollers too - not sure what the roller setup looks like on an odd-numbered engine.  And at that point the whole timing advance mechanism starts getting complicated... You would probably be best off finding a good electronic pump as a core as it will have all the internal pieces needed to make it work.

I'm quite keen on the idea of integrating 4 Laminova 'tubes' into a custom/modified inlet manifold, thoughts on this idea? Plenum before, bit of a space behind and splitting into the runners as per stock
Head porting, not sure if i trust myself to do it ha ha, but got a spare 1.6D engine, and an AHU head here to practice with i suppose.

Just be careful with the head porting particularly on the intake side.  If the intake port is changed too drastically it can cause a lot of very odd running / starting / smoking problems.  VW put quite a lot of engineering in to the shape of those ports.  Cleaning up burrs and casting marks is fine regardless.  It definitely can be done but it's not as simple as "well I didn't go in to the water jacket anywhere, must be fine", at least if having an engine that drives ok when cold is important to you.
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #12November 08, 2013, 03:21:38 am

Henk

• Junior

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 03:21:38 am »
Im speaking to DSS direct, its very succinct! Would you like me to get a second set?
Gtb22 wont be big enough, im looking more towards GT3782 judging by the few others like this!

Would you be using DNM's ekectronic controller? I really struggled trying to get my head around it!

As for the pumps the engine comes with a stock pump, and I have a 300tdi pump here, so I assume they can make a working pump between them.
I certainly wont be doing it anyway!

Point noted on the porting, will go easy, probably just match up the manifolds at first
Thanks
Mid Engine
Berg Cup
M-TDi
Caddy!

Reply #13November 08, 2013, 09:54:28 am

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 09:54:28 am »
Im speaking to DSS direct, its very succinct! Would you like me to get a second set?
Gtb22 wont be big enough, im looking more towards GT3782 judging by the few others like this!

Actually I think I might have found nozzles through United Diesel in the UK - Keith is going to get back to me next week, he is testing some nozzles to see if they will flow enough for my HP requirements. :D

Would you be using DNM's ekectronic controller? I really struggled trying to get my head around it!

Yep, that's the one! 

I was afraid of it for quite a while to be honest.  I have an old 1980's electronic pinball machine at home that I've done quite a bit of work on - one day when looking at the schematic for the arduino VNT controller I suddenly realized it was doing exactly the same thing as my pinball machine - CPU controls digital outputs, transistor amplifies the output, solenoid is controlled by the transistor. 

The actual schematic makes things a bit easier - there is not really much to connect on the Arduino side.

http://dmn.kuulalaakeri.org/vnt-lda/schema3.png

As for the pumps the engine comes with a stock pump, and I have a 300tdi pump here, so I assume they can make a working pump between them.
I certainly wont be doing it anyway!

Cool - sounds like you have the needed bits. :) It is probably easier with what you are doing as you are just combining two DI pumps, rather than trying to combine IDI and DI pump parts.

Point noted on the porting, will go easy, probably just match up the manifolds at first
Thanks

:)

Yeah I decided to have my head rebuilt but I have otherwise left it unmolested for the time being.  I think I'd probably get it done by someone like Franko6 over on the TDIClub forum if I were to do anything there - he's an expert with these heads.
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #14November 08, 2013, 04:54:32 pm

Henk

• Junior

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 04:54:32 pm »
Oh okay, I'm sure I spoke to them before. what brand are they and price, do you know yet?
DSS said 285 Euro delivered, which frankly i can't afford right now  :-[ and I'm kinda wary due to there only being an email address, no website or anything for them.
Darkside do .260, .275 and .315  :o and they'll fit and test them too i believe. What sort of Hp's you aiming for then? I assume yours is a 4 cyl, didn't read your build very thoroughly i must admit.

I will definitely be taking an interest when you start doing the e-vnt-controller.
I'm useless at stuff like that, and designed a mechanical controller but no idea how i'd run two VNT's mechanically(and well!)
Could this be used to map a pair of 'outputs' d'you think? should probably ask the man himself!

aye hopefully the pump side won't be too complicated or expensive

sounds like a good plan, i'm 'assuming' mine will be alright on what's in there as it's allegedly a 75k motor!
Mid Engine
Berg Cup
M-TDi
Caddy!

S-PAutomotive.com