Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Oil return Line.  (Read 6322 times)

June 16, 2013, 08:57:52 pm

One_punchmachinegun

• Veteran

Oil return Line.
« on: June 16, 2013, 08:57:52 pm »
HEy guys,

I am throwing the turbo on the car and I can not get the oil return line on for the life of me. Its as if its no where close to where it needs to be. I tried everything that I could think of. Turbo on and off the car, with no avail. So the car is a Mk2 jetta and the oil pan is a stock 1.6 td. I believe its a mk2 pan, but maybe wrong with that. I would like some help now that I feel hopeless. All fathers day I was trying to get this thing on. Anyone have pictures for a reference to how it should sit. I search google and didnt find pictures to help.
And the oil pan, to make sure that the one I have is a actual mk2 pan. Are the mk2 pans the ones that have the flange that is slightly angled to theleft if under the car.

Just let me know what you think I should do.

Thanks,

Tim

的f anyone hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge that person. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world." Jesus Christ

Reply #1June 16, 2013, 09:09:34 pm

CRSMP5

Re: Oil return Line.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 09:09:34 pm »
ok.. mk1 pan vs mk2 different along with line!!

mk2 the line ran thru the rear aluminum mount..

if mk1 used on mk2.. it is almost rubbing on the ears of that mount.. needs a tweek.. but my line/pan/turbo were attached when i used the prybar on mine to make the mount fit..

but mk1 return vs mk2 return will hit pan in different places..

Reply #2June 16, 2013, 09:19:40 pm

One_punchmachinegun

• Veteran

Re: Re: Oil return Line.
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 09:19:40 pm »
Do then the mk2 pan has the flange that goes straight up from the oil pan
的f anyone hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge that person. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world." Jesus Christ

Reply #3June 16, 2013, 09:22:03 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 09:22:03 pm »
mk1 iis in different place then mk2.. but sam part.. welded in different position..

Reply #4June 16, 2013, 09:43:55 pm

One_punchmachinegun

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 09:43:55 pm »
Pictures?$?

Reply #5June 16, 2013, 09:50:07 pm

rallydiesel

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 09:50:07 pm »
mk2 is angled to the driver's side.
2006 Jetta TDI - gtb1749v, Malone 2, Frank's Titan 2 cam, VR6 clutch....
1991 Jetta TD - sold :(
2001 Golf TDI - Son's
1981 Rabbit - BEW tdi swap project

"ONCE YOU GO CLACK, YOU NEVER GO BACK"

Reply #6June 16, 2013, 11:27:58 pm

One_punchmachinegun

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 11:27:58 pm »
Then why can't I get this thing on....

Reply #7June 16, 2013, 11:50:57 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 11:50:57 pm »
The oil drain can be a huge pain to hook up. Did you try removing the pan or loosening it and hooking the drain up first? Is the mount/brace on the oil line causing it to sit in the wrong position?
Tyler

Reply #8June 17, 2013, 12:16:47 am

CRSMP5

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 12:16:47 am »
i have no pics... when i put the 83td in my 91 b3 sedan in 02 i had to do pry bar mod.. been mounted ever since..

all i know is the 2 are different.. think one leans towards say 1 o clock, the other more towards 11.. but been long time.. 20 years since i saw that issue of mk1 vs mk2..

Reply #9June 17, 2013, 12:22:36 am

One_punchmachinegun

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 12:22:36 am »
No the mount on the line isn't a problem. Took it off before attempting, figuring it would cause a problem. The pan idea is genius. I will be trying that tomorrow.

Tyler, what was that turbo off of. Does it need to be clocked? It doesn't seem like it but figured I'd ask.

Now with the oil line, the orientation maybe wrong also. One way seems to fit nice at the top with the turbo and the exhaust manifold, but issues with where it goes toward at the bottom. Almost in the wrong direction of the flange, but the other way seems to be in the right direction for the flange on the oil pan but doesn't seem to clear the exhaust manifold. It is really strange to me. Which way is correct?

If any one with an engine out and the oil line on could take a picture to put some questions to rest, that would be fantastic.

Reply #10June 17, 2013, 12:29:24 am

One_punchmachinegun

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 12:29:24 am »
Yes I think your correct with the positions, 11 and 1. Mine is the 11. I have the 1 also but don't feel like pulling that pan for it not even being correct..
I even tried having the turbo hanging freely from the intake boot so I could swing the line around easier. Didn't help, I thought it was going to do it. Not sure what to do hear. Also have been by myself doing this, feel like a friend could help with the flow of things. To bad all  my good friends around here no nothing about working on cars.

Reply #11June 17, 2013, 01:21:04 am

damac

• Veteran

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 01:21:04 am »
I took some pictures below of my truck that isn't on the road yet.  I have only dealt with mk2 turbo engines.  So I am not dealing with your rear mount and I need to come up with a rubber clamp to branch off the return line bracket you see I zip tied to for vibrations sake I guess?

Can't see how you would even attempt to bolt the drain on the wrong way at the turbo side?  It would shoot off into a crazy direction.

So looking at the pan from the rear of the car forward the bung on the oil pan is tilted to the passenger side.

1985 turbo diesel jetta

Reply #12June 17, 2013, 06:53:34 am

CRSMP5

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 06:53:34 am »
well i wish you luck on your square peg in round hole.. :D

all i know the 2 just fail.. i was building a engine on the stand from a box back in 94ish when i had same issue.. not very often to have a issue unless pieced together.. but how i know the 2 different ways..

go look at the other one you think you have.. the pic he posted is tipped towards 1..

forget the zip tie/bracket.. that bad boy in pan so good it no move..

if you do swap pans check that drain plug... easy to weld new nut in when off vs after on.. most all seem screwed up... i remove the stamped steel piece in pan, has 2 spot welds.. then het a nut.. tighten drain plug... weld nut into place.. on inside.. and new drain plug.. :)

Reply #13June 17, 2013, 08:04:28 am

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 08:04:28 am »
Everything I sold you was off a 90s Jetta. I haven't had any mk1s in a long time so I'd be very surprised if you somehow ended up with mk1 parts.

I'll hopefully have an engine out this week sometime but hopefully you have this straightened out by then. If Damacs pics aren't what you need I can take some more.
Tyler

Reply #14June 17, 2013, 08:31:46 am

One_punchmachinegun

• Veteran

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 08:31:46 am »
After seeing those pictures it seems that I have the wrong oil pan on. But with that the oil line will have to go thought the rear engine mount to get to that drain hole.. I do t know why Volkswagen would do that..

S-PAutomotive.com