Author Topic: Cheap low flow muffler\resonator?  (Read 5794 times)

March 17, 2013, 01:43:05 pm

homerj1

• Veteran

Cheap low flow muffler\resonator?
« on: March 17, 2013, 01:43:05 pm »
I will be running 1.6td  in my mk1 Jetta, with a bigger exhaust dia ( not sure of size 2 inch +) all the way back.

Need to put on a muffler/resonator to pass inspection. Also found that my aaz with straight pipe and no cat. was a bit too loud\tractory).
On the other hand my 98 tdi with just a cat sounds nice.

So I'm looking for that sweet sound combo that won't restrict turbo spool up too much, but at the same time, not sound like cousin bob has arrived in his Fordson Major tractor,

ready to pull the tree stumps.

I searched the forum, and came up with a bit of info.

Am wondering what others are using?

also was looking at this page, anything here work:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/department/exhaust/section/mufflers-resonators?page=7
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 02:12:16 pm by homerj1 »

Reply #1March 17, 2013, 01:54:15 pm

homerj1

• Veteran

Re: Cheap low flow muffler\resonator?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 01:54:15 pm »
'
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 01:56:47 pm by homerj1 »

Reply #2March 17, 2013, 03:30:00 pm

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 03:30:00 pm »
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-94050/media/images

Had a couple of these laying around, pretty happy.

Reply #3March 17, 2013, 04:33:36 pm

bajacalal

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 04:33:36 pm »
I put one [of those] on my 1.6 TD when my "straight pipe with an open muffler" exhaust turned out to be too loud.

I like it. It would be great for your application. I hear no drone at cruise RPMs or at idle, but it's loud when I stomp on it.

Reply #4March 17, 2013, 08:42:02 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

Re: Re: Cheap low flow muffler\resonator?
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 08:42:02 pm »
Thrush turbo from McParts store on my NA 1.9, nothing else with rear turndown is pretty quiet. It was dirt cheap.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #5March 17, 2013, 09:03:35 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 09:03:35 pm »
I want to do a glass pack or resonator only exhaust system with a dual side-pipe in front of the rear tires on my 84 Jetta.

I have a down pipe only exhaust right now, straight down from the turbo pointed at the ground. There is no excessive drone or loudness and my car has absolutely no sound deadening. Really makes the Honda/Cavalier boys angry when I haul on it.. with load on it in 4th it sounds like it is going to eat the ground (As my GF puts it ;) ).

Reply #6March 18, 2013, 01:58:04 am

JamesT

• Junior

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 01:58:04 am »
Turbo chargers are pretty good dynamic radial noise suppression devices. I'm running a glass-pack and a stack on my AAZ, and while you are aware of engine noise, it isn't bothersome or even really that loud. The glass pack looks like this inside

So I'm thinking it doesn't do a whole lot now that it's caked in diesel soot. It just takes care of a bit of drone.

I wouldn't recommend an exhaust that exits anywhere under the car forward of a location you plan work on. The black coating is nasty, and gets in everything. If I were doing a car, I would have a straight-pipe to the rear bumper and a down-turn at the end.
93 Golf - AAZ with some fueling
78 Rabbit - 1.5 DIESEL (finally)
[(+)===o===(+)]
 (++\==o==/++)

Reply #7March 18, 2013, 09:05:56 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 09:05:56 am »
I had a K24 muffler on the mk2 jetta last engine. This one will be a T3...if you get it.

Reply #8March 18, 2013, 04:30:50 pm

homerj1

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 04:30:50 pm »
I had a K24 muffler on the mk2 jetta last engine. This one will be a T3...if you get it.

Yeah, I get it  except mine  will be a K03 muffler ;)

Reply #9March 18, 2013, 06:12:14 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 06:12:14 pm »
Yeah, I get it  except mine  will be a K03 muffler ;)

It does alright,

I have a down pipe only exhaust right now, straight down from the turbo pointed at the ground. There is no excessive drone or loudness and my car has absolutely no sound deadening. Really makes the Honda/Cavalier boys angry when I haul on it.. with load on it in 4th it sounds like it is going to eat the ground (As my GF puts it ;) ).

That is with my k03 hanging off the back, 2.5" straight down.. 11" of exhaust haha.

Reply #10March 19, 2013, 05:40:48 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 05:40:48 pm »

It does alright,

That is with my k03 hanging off the back, 2.5" straight down.. 11" of exhaust haha.

my old rabbit w/ VNT15 used to REALLY roar when i would get on it, above like 4000 revs..

god, i really miss my old VNT15.. it was my favorite turbo, hands down..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #11March 20, 2013, 01:42:51 pm

Rising

• Veteran

Re: Re: Re: Cheap low flow muffler\resonator?
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 01:42:51 pm »

It does alright,

my old rabbit w/ VNT15 used to REALLY roar when i would get on it, above like 4000 revs..

Dang it every post you make about that vnt makes me want mine on so bad.

Someone should start an exhaust Clip thread so everyone can post up their set up and others can get ideas for the sound they want.

Sent from my ThunderBolt using Tapatalk 2
'84 Rabbit Diesel- 1.6D Stock

Reply #12March 20, 2013, 01:47:07 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 01:47:07 pm »

Someone should start an exhaust Clip thread so everyone can post up their set up and others can get ideas for the sound they want.

I want a VNT too.. I just might have to get one.. See people making 180-200whp on the 1.9 TDI's with the 17/22 combos like its easy.

Make the thread!! I've got to make some errands later I'll take a sound clip of my exhaust note :)

Reply #13March 20, 2013, 03:00:20 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 03:00:20 pm »

It does alright,

I like this idea. We could sticky it and the ONLY replies would be posts of videos with the tone and what it is. Of course most online videos are hard to tell but we could get an idea.

Reply #14March 20, 2013, 05:40:07 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 05:40:07 pm »

It does alright,

I like this idea. We could sticky it and the ONLY replies would be posts of videos with the tone and what it is. Of course most online videos are hard to tell but we could get an idea.

my car sounded like hell in a sound clip or video..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

S-PAutomotive.com