S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Time to start assembling 1.5 TD / 1.9L Franken Diesel.  (Read 56193 times)

Reply #30February 27, 2013, 10:26:06 am

Jetmugg

• Veteran

Re: Time to start assembling 1.5 TD / 1.9L Franken Diesel.
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2013, 10:26:06 am »
I bought the head second hand.  It had previously had some mild porting work performed on it.  My machine shop only "cleaned up" some of the work that was previously done.

At this point, I am pretty much committed to setting the engine up with the head as it is.  In the future, it would be great to have some serious head porting performed, to see how much of an improvement can be made.

I am hopeful that I can be competitive against the existing record.  It sounds like the Winders team (current recordholders) has another engine they have been holding onto, in the event that someone beats their record.

There are a lot of "if" factors right now, but if everything plays out they way I hope, I would set a new record this year, then the Winders team would bring out their 1.5 TDI, up the record again, then I would have a chance to make improvements to this engine before going after the new (higher) record again.   It's exciting to think about.

Steve

Reply #31February 27, 2013, 10:39:35 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2013, 10:39:35 am »
Did Giles do your pump yet? I think that they maybe in for a surprise. The revs possible with power on this idi with Giles will be awesome. The 1.9 head with those valves will already flow a ton more than the old 1.5 but my thinking was go all the way. I don't think the 1.5 TDI will have as much stuff up top as the IDI, but maybe I am wrong. Also as you have told us it is more than just engine, so if the rampage is better aero wise you may really shock them.

Reply #32February 27, 2013, 11:05:42 am

Jetmugg

• Veteran

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2013, 11:05:42 am »
The pump I have right now is one that came from a forum member (Smoky Eddy).  He did the internal pump work himself, and was running it on a hopped-up 1.9L, feeding it with an electric fuel pump.  I think that this pump should be up to the task of feeding my 1.5L Franken setup.

Due to budget and time constraints, I am planning to go to the salt with the pump I currently have.  If I fall short, I'll have another year to spend money and collect parts to raise my game for the next attempt.

If I can stay on track, schedule wise, I hope to run at the Ohio Mile in July as a shake-down run, and try to get a chassis dyno session fitted in somewhere along the way.

Steve. 

Reply #33February 27, 2013, 12:54:12 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2013, 12:54:12 pm »
The pump I have right now is one that came from a forum member (Smoky Eddy).  He did the internal pump work himself, and was running it on a hopped-up 1.9L, feeding it with an electric fuel pump.  I think that this pump should be up to the task of feeding my 1.5L Franken setup.

Due to budget and time constraints, I am planning to go to the salt with the pump I currently have.  If I fall short, I'll have another year to spend money and collect parts to raise my game for the next attempt.

If I can stay on track, schedule wise, I hope to run at the Ohio Mile in July as a shake-down run, and try to get a chassis dyno session fitted in somewhere along the way.

Steve.  

pretty sure he has the governor mod done to that, u may just have to play with the timing to get it ideal for the rpm u will be at to beat 106mph.

and lucas u no i used to really believe the idi had an advantage with its revability, and in stock form it probably does, but then i saw some of aki's work haha.  maybe everyone has been so obsessed with low end power and tiny turbos on the tdi that they have not realized the true potential.  hey u can move more air at higher rpms, more air means more power.  but even still, this car is breaking 200hp at only 3700 rpms with a turbo that i wouldn't have even thought would work.

i would think the 1.5td could remain competitive with a 1.5tdi it'd would be lovely. to see a shoot out each year between the 2 setups.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 12:56:39 pm by Trev0rbr »
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #34February 27, 2013, 01:39:20 pm

Jetmugg

• Veteran

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2013, 01:39:20 pm »
What turbo is on that 1.9? :o

Reply #35February 27, 2013, 03:03:18 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2013, 03:03:18 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PT7TrBBMP8

schwitzer/borgwarner s256v it says.
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #36February 27, 2013, 03:07:24 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2013, 03:07:24 pm »
Not trying to bash smokey eddy, but he is NOT Giles...

if you want a real pump, send one off to Giles..

Eddys pump was basically just a slightly modified stock pump..

Giles calls them SUPERPUMPS for a reason!!

you will never build big power on a stock pump.. 193hp is about all they are ever good for.
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #37February 27, 2013, 04:19:05 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2013, 04:19:05 pm »

you will never build big power on a stock pump.. 193hp is about all they are ever good for.

you will not make 193hp with a stock pump unless you believe in magic.

Reply #38February 27, 2013, 04:40:35 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2013, 04:40:35 pm »

you will not make 193hp with a stock pump unless you believe in magic.

how come its been done then??

Dave cross (935racer, Passenger Performance) has dynod 193hp on a 9mm pump...

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #39February 27, 2013, 04:46:13 pm

Jetmugg

• Veteran

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2013, 04:46:13 pm »
If I can make somewhere in the 125 - 140 hp range, I think I can be competitive against the current record.

Steve.

Reply #40February 27, 2013, 04:48:09 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2013, 04:48:09 pm »
The pump I have right now is one that came from a forum member (Smoky Eddy).  He did the internal pump work himself, and was running it on a hopped-up 1.9L, feeding it with an electric fuel pump.  I think that this pump should be up to the task of feeding my 1.5L Franken setup.

Due to budget and time constraints, I am planning to go to the salt with the pump I currently have.  If I fall short, I'll have another year to spend money and collect parts to raise my game for the next attempt.

Steve.  
Depending on where and when and IF I ever get my head back I would let you borrow my Brand new Giles Pump. It is not just the first notch Giles either. When he reworked it he put some other parts in it. I know he had some TDI parts in it. My advice to him was "I don't care if I melt it down, I just want it to run."

If you are close in Ohio in July I would come over and possibly we could do a quick timing job with my pump and have an A vs B on the track.

ROR, The pump was 9mm but it was a Giles 9mm pump IIRC. I just bumped the thread not too long ago.

Reply #41February 27, 2013, 04:50:49 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2013, 04:50:49 pm »
If I can make somewhere in the 125 - 140 hp range, I think I can be competitive against the current record.

Steve.

125hp is basically do-able on a STOCK engine, with the fueling and boost turned up..

Reply #42February 27, 2013, 05:00:50 pm

Jetmugg

• Veteran

« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2013, 05:00:50 pm »

Steve.  
Depending on where and when and IF I ever get my head back I would let you borrow my Brand new Giles Pump. It is not just the first notch Giles either. When he reworked it he put some other parts in it. I know he had some TDI parts in it. My advice to him was "I don't care if I melt it down, I just want it to run."

If you are close in Ohio in July I would come over and possibly we could do a quick timing job with my pump and have an A vs B on the track.

ROR, The pump was 9mm but it was a Giles 9mm pump IIRC. I just bumped the thread not too long ago.

You are truly THE MAN.  I've got to keep wrenching to get it together for July, but your offer provides a real incentive!!!  Thank You.

Steve.

Reply #43February 27, 2013, 05:14:47 pm

carrizog60

• Veteran

« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2013, 05:14:47 pm »

Steve.

125hp is basically do-able on a STOCK engine, with the fueling and boost turned up..

i did 136 crank with just fuel,k24 at 2 bar and front intercooler.
all rest was stock...
vw golf gti G60--vw passat 1.9td gt2052v
yamaha vmax 1200- yamaha tdm 850
Portugal

Reply #44February 27, 2013, 05:24:05 pm

Jetmugg

• Veteran

« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2013, 05:24:05 pm »
That's good power, no doubt.  I have always wondered something about boost numbers.  When you say at 2 bar, are you saying 2 bars above ambient pressure, or 2 bars absolute, including the 1 bar of ambient pressure? 

To make it work at Bonneville, I need to be able to put out that much power over a 3 mile long course.  That 3 miles is going to seem like an eternity with my foot buried on the floorboard for most of it.

I will have an air-water intercooler under the hood, with an icewater tank in the bed.

Steve

Fixmyvw.com