Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: 1.6 TD no-run, I need a few minds on this one..  (Read 7198 times)

December 31, 2012, 08:20:22 pm

8v-of-fury

1.6 TD no-run, I need a few minds on this one..
« on: December 31, 2012, 08:20:22 pm »
What a conundrum. So Saturday morning I ripped the 1.6 TD apart. It was getting its pump resealed, cleaned up and governor modded. While I had that out I replaced and pimped the glow-plugs, replaced the fuel filter, and added clear fuel lines from filter to pump, and pump back to the main return line. I also bought a huge 1050CA battery to put in as well ;). I got everything done (reseal, glow plugs, battery) within a few hours of taking it apart. Set the timing to 0.040", rotated several times, everything remained proper. 

So I couldn't get the pump full of fuel because of the temperatures and not being able to fit my lines over the end of a funnel. So I waited until this morning, when I went and got a 12v universal fuel pump to put in line before the fuel filter in the engine bay. It would not pull a drop from the tank.. like WTF right? So I get some shop air on the return line to pressurize the tank, which finally gets some fuel moving up the feed line. Fill the filter full of fuel, fills the pump, and I can see all the air exiting the pump via my clear fuel lines. Crack the injector lines, and crank it over till I get fuel at all four injectors. Get fuel at all four and tighten them back down. Crank it over a bunch without glows to fully prime everything. Hit the glows and crank-crank-crank. Nothing. No fire. No smoke.

I get out and check that I have 12v at the solenoid, and that it is in fact clicking yes it is. I also tested it when it was apart. It works. I tested all four glow plugs before I installed them, and with 12v they all got super red in about 6 seconds (duraterms). I tested my relay setup, and I am getting voltage to it when the ignition is turned on. The glow plugs are also all getting voltage. I have (well had.. lol) the battery fully charged, and had the jumper cables to another running vehicle and a booster pack also attached to the cars native battery terminals. So yes, I also had cranking amps, and the starter was spinning faster then it ever would with only one battery.

I've got fuel, I've got glow plugs, I've got cranking power and the timing is set to 0.040".. what the hell is going on. I am not getting any smoke from the tail-pipe either ???

So I've done this many many many times. Not my first rodeo as you all know, I know the quirks, I know the tricks. I have done them all. Still nothing, HELP ME LMAO.

Reply #1December 31, 2012, 08:39:58 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
Re: 1.6 TD no-run, I need a few minds on this one..
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 08:39:58 pm »
Run it off a bottle
Tyler

Reply #2December 31, 2012, 08:53:56 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 08:53:56 pm »
The clear lines I used are less than flexible at cold temps lol. If I could never take them off again I'd be happy. This pump ran the car Saturday morning, well it had an NA lid on it then.. but the pump itself still ran.

I'd agree with the bottle running if I weren't 100% it were pulling fuel. But why else would you run from the bottle?

Reply #3December 31, 2012, 09:40:37 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 09:40:37 pm »
Floor it while you're cranking.  How deep did you pull the pump apart? 

Reply #4December 31, 2012, 09:47:08 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 09:47:08 pm »
This one was just a quick job. I didn't take the vane pump assembly out, or the advance piston and cage. It was only leaking from the head seal really, so I had an extra.

I always have it floored when I am cold starting or trying to first start them. No smoke what-so-ever out the tail pipe.. its weird.

Reply #5December 31, 2012, 10:08:44 pm

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 10:08:44 pm »
Given all you've done, I'd flip the lines and injectors, crank to verify they're spraying. (Fuel at the hard lines might not be at break pressure.) Pull those heat shields or they'll blow out.

You could check compression, but the thing ran three days ago, right?

Reply #6December 31, 2012, 10:15:40 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 10:15:40 pm »
It ran three days ago with no issue other than a dieing battery, a fuel leak and a few burnt out gp's.

Now I get no smoke at all.

Lets brainstorm on the possibility of it not hitting break pressures.. how would this happen? Bad high pressure head?

Reply #7December 31, 2012, 10:22:41 pm

81 vw pu

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 10:22:41 pm »
Had this happen on my caddy last week after sitting for a few days. No smoke while cranking.
 Did all the checks you mentioned even pulled fuel through the outlet fitting on pump with a vac-pump. Fuel appeared in clear line fairly quick.
Pulled outlet banjo bolt off and I could barley blow through it. A little compressed air reinstalled and started first try.
Second time this has happened in the last few months.

Reply #8December 31, 2012, 10:28:52 pm

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 10:28:52 pm »
Lets brainstorm on the possibility of it not hitting break pressures.. how would this happen? Bad high pressure head?
I'd first suspect the linkage under the lid - control collar might not be closing the spill port.

Reply #9December 31, 2012, 10:34:11 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 10:34:11 pm »
It all went back together as per normal. Verified internal hook up by rotating the throttle shaft and feeling governor springs compress.. Also verified the control collar is in its proper spot in the throttle lever before I put the lid on.

Reply #10December 31, 2012, 10:44:09 pm

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 10:44:09 pm »
Small shim between the plunger and camplate...?  No pressure, if that's fallen out.

Sorry to take potshots, but no smoke tells me no fuel or no compression - I would verifying the injectors are spraying.

Bottle feeding is good to validate vane-pump and fuel flow.

Reply #11December 31, 2012, 10:45:49 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 10:45:49 pm »
Yes bottle feeding is good for that, but she ran three days ago man lol. I didn't touch the vane pump when I was in there.

No worries on the potshots, helps me think. No I definitely vaselined that shim in place like I always do.

Reply #12December 31, 2012, 10:56:25 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 10:56:25 pm »
If you're getting fuel at the four injectors, the only thing left is timing.  Any chance you're 180° out on the cam/pump relationship? 

Reply #13December 31, 2012, 11:00:31 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, 11:00:31 pm »
Its a one hole pulley, and no even if it were a 2 hole I know the pump shaft key-way needs to point roughly at 11 o'clock when looking at the snout.

Getting a good amount of fuel at the four injectors, typical as I have seen when bleeding the air from them. Timed it to 0.040" and verified that after spinning the engine over by hand.

Reply #14December 31, 2012, 11:05:51 pm

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2012, 11:05:51 pm »
You put a TD lid on an NA, or was it a TD pump before...?