Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: 1.6 TD no-run, I need a few minds on this one..  (Read 7197 times)

Reply #30January 01, 2013, 10:25:37 pm

8v-of-fury

Re: 1.6 TD no-run, I need a few minds on this one..
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2013, 10:25:37 pm »
Im going to guess low compression

Meh, I do not think so. Car has been daily use since August, and other than tough gp's and a weak battery it still started ok in the cold.

If I understand correctly, this was a TD pump with a NA cover on it, you resealed it and installed the original TD top cover that now has a new throttle shaft bushing?

I bought it as a car that could not sustain running, because of a severely buggered throttle bushing. It would run however with an electric pusher pump, just spewing out the throttle shaft.

Assuming that is correct, did you ever hear the car run with the original TD top?

Yes, it did.. just leaked.

I'd be winding the fuel screw in and taking it from there, or pull starting it. It'll be tricky in the snow but assuming you are on winters and not all seasons you should be fine.

Put in a fuel screw with no collar, and tried it at every spot until it was all the way in. I could not physically turn it in any more turns.

Try running 12v from the battery to the stop solenoid. Sometimes these crazy cars forget to send power to the stop solenoid when you are cranking.

Decent suggestion, seeing as though I have bled the injection lines and there is fuel bubbling out of there whilst cranking I think it would be safe to assume it is working properly, but I will give it a try!

I had the block heater on it for about 6 hours, got everything good and hot. Hooked up a jumper battery, and a running vehicle... starter spinning faster than it ever would with one battery alone. Glow plug sensor unhooked and allowed full glow on the plugs.

Pull starting ain't gonna make a lick of difference, trust me. It is spinning super fast, and a lot. It is moving fuel to the injectors, the glows are getting power, the fuel screw is maxed all the way in, What the hell.

Reply #31January 01, 2013, 10:31:40 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2013, 10:31:40 pm »
You need compression/heat and fuel at the proper time.  If you have compression and fuel to the injectors, then what don't you have? 

Make sure the advance lever is off, double check the cam to pump timing, turn the crank by hand with the injector lines off and visually see which delivery valve is spurting with the cam lobes up for #1. 

Reply #32January 01, 2013, 10:39:51 pm

rallydiesel

• Veteran

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2013, 10:39:51 pm »
Did you ever try running from a bottle?
2006 Jetta TDI - gtb1749v, Malone 2, Frank's Titan 2 cam, VR6 clutch....
1991 Jetta TD - sold :(
2001 Golf TDI - Son's
1981 Rabbit - BEW tdi swap project

"ONCE YOU GO CLACK, YOU NEVER GO BACK"

Reply #33January 01, 2013, 10:57:09 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2013, 10:57:09 pm »
You need compression/heat and fuel at the proper time.  If you have compression and fuel to the injectors, then what don't you have? 

What if the fuel is at the injectors, but it is not able to break them open??

Make sure the advance lever is off, double check the cam to pump timing, turn the crank by hand with the injector lines off and visually see which delivery valve is spurting with the cam lobes up for #1. 

Advance lever was definitely off. Cam to pump was definite, I used both the pump and cam lock guarantee it. I can also guarantee that the pumps cam plate is installed correctly. I always install it with the little key/nub pointing up towards the governor assembly, at the same time I also verify that the pumps shaft key-way is also pointing towards the top of the pump.

I never did attempt a bottle run, its like -20@ lol. With the electric pusher pump, running from a bottle isn't gonna really do anything for me. I can see it moving the fuel through the pump before and while cranking.

Reply #34January 01, 2013, 11:00:35 pm

rallydiesel

• Veteran

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2013, 11:00:35 pm »
It really sounds like a fuel issue if you are getting ZERO smoke from the exhaust. Or did you plug up the intake with a rag or something?
2006 Jetta TDI - gtb1749v, Malone 2, Frank's Titan 2 cam, VR6 clutch....
1991 Jetta TD - sold :(
2001 Golf TDI - Son's
1981 Rabbit - BEW tdi swap project

"ONCE YOU GO CLACK, YOU NEVER GO BACK"

Reply #35January 01, 2013, 11:05:03 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2013, 11:05:03 pm »
Holy shii... I just had an epiphany. When I had it apart I swapped on another head and distributor because it had good seals in it (head o-ring, solenoid, timing plug, and delivery valve coppers)..... however I am pretty  sure that was on a pump that supposedly would "not pump fuel".. except when the guy had it, he claimed no fuel to the injectors. I have fuel to the injectors in the typical amount to be seen, so it is in fact pumping. Maybe this dizzy head is snarfed?

No rag in the intake, there is no intake on the turbo at all right now actually as I was working on the fuel lines and filter.

Reply #36January 01, 2013, 11:28:51 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2013, 11:28:51 pm »
Epiphany Sunday is next weekend.  So the Wise men are working their way across the great white north right now I take it. 

Are there differences in the delivery valves on these things?  You may need to swap back to your old setup with new seals to figure this out.  Or ask the camels before they leave.

Reply #37January 01, 2013, 11:31:23 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2013, 11:31:23 pm »
Delivery valves are pretty much all the same across the 1.5's and 1.6's. The 1.9 AAZ are similar as well, if not the same. Even my land rover pump had exact style delivery valves. The only different ones I have personally seen were the AHU ones, with about 22 small pieces each as compared to the 3 of every other DV lol.

It is more than likely the head and distributor causing me this grief.. and it is likely not making injection pressure.. DAMNIT.

Reply #38January 02, 2013, 12:11:17 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2013, 12:11:17 am »
Maybe it has a CCW plunger...

Reply #39January 02, 2013, 12:34:31 am

8v-of-fury

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2013, 12:34:31 am »
Would I not be at least seeing smoke somewhere? Or some sort of backfiring with 30+ seconds of cranking at like ~600 rpm?

Reply #40January 02, 2013, 12:38:19 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2013, 12:38:19 am »
If it is a CCW plunger, you may see fuel at the injectors when cracked, but it won't ever develop injector break pressure.

Reply #41January 02, 2013, 12:39:21 am

8v-of-fury

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2013, 12:39:21 am »
Ramp in the wrong direction on the cam plate eh? Interesting!

Reply #42January 02, 2013, 12:42:24 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2013, 12:42:24 am »
No, it's not the camplate, it is the machining of the plunger.  The fill port is offset differently in relation to the pressure port.  It's actually even hard to see the difference.  I think Tintin posted a picture a while back.

Reply #43January 02, 2013, 12:47:30 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2013, 12:47:30 am »
I took a photo on an old seized 12mm (''R'' rotation)

Look at the delivery port location alignment compare to the filling groove at the top of plunger.

And look at the filling port on the sleeve of the plunger.

Reply #44January 02, 2013, 11:56:53 am

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2013, 11:56:53 am »
Holy shii... I just had an epiphany. When I had it apart I swapped on another head and distributor because it had good seals in it (head o-ring, solenoid, timing plug, and delivery valve coppers)..... however I am pretty  sure that was on a pump that supposedly would "not pump fuel".. except when the guy had it, he claimed no fuel to the injectors. I have fuel to the injectors in the typical amount to be seen, so it is in fact pumping. Maybe this dizzy head is snarfed?

You swapped a a head without the plunger? That's a no no from what I've read. Plunger and head must be a matched set.

S-PAutomotive.com