Author Topic: '85 1.6 TD - few small issues  (Read 2312 times)

October 30, 2012, 02:03:30 pm

maloosheck

'85 1.6 TD - few small issues
« on: October 30, 2012, 02:03:30 pm »
1. Is there any way to check if the engine vibration at idle is excessive? I think I might need new engine mounts, but I just wanted some confirmation.
2. My charging light does not go off immediately after I start the engine, but stays till I rev the engine. Is my alternator shot?

Reply #1October 30, 2012, 03:03:14 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
Re: '85 1.6 TD - few small issues
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 03:03:14 pm »
1. Is there any way to check if the engine vibration at idle is excessive? I think I might need new engine mounts, but I just wanted some confirmation.
2. My charging light does not go off immediately after I start the engine, but stays till I rev the engine. Is my alternator shot?

1. they vibrate alot.. does it make your dash rattle? when you open your doors at idle, does stuff try and jump out of your door pockets?
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #2October 30, 2012, 03:43:34 pm

Blocksmith

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Wrench Lurker
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 03:43:34 pm »

I shouldn't think so, I just replaced my alternator, and it does the same thing.
Green 83 Rabbit 4dr, 5 speed ACH trans swap, ported 1.6D mech lifter w/ vnt15, na pump w/ gov mod, gasser intake mani, 2.5" exhaust, bilstein sports and cut mk2 springs, ss brake lines, 14" vw bottlecaps

Reply #3October 30, 2012, 03:48:48 pm

bajacalal

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 03:48:48 pm »
The alternator thing is normal.

The if it's an '85 car (not just engine) the hydraulic mounts tend to let the engine move around more, with the rest of the car shaking less, compared to earlier models.

I don't think the shake is a reliable indicator. Try to get in there with a pry bar and see if you can find any play in the mounting points. The engine should be mounted tight, with no play at the mounting point itself, but the rubber part of the mount should be flexible enough to let the engine move.

Reply #4October 30, 2012, 03:49:18 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 03:49:18 pm »

I shouldn't think so, I just replaced my alternator, and it does the same thing.

its 100% normal..

clean all the points where the alt grounds to the engine..

ive only had one VW that DIDNT take the throttle blip when you fired it up cold..

its absolutely acceptable for VWs to do this..

sometimes you CANT cure this issue, no matter what you try..

the one car that i had that lit the alternator instantly, i die-electric greased very contact point..

(where the alt contacts the brkt, where the brkt contacts the engine, where the engine touches the ground wire, and finally, the battery post)

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #5October 30, 2012, 03:50:39 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 03:50:39 pm »
The alternator thing is normal.

The if it's an '85 car (not just engine) the hydraulic mounts tend to let the engine move around more, with the rest of the car shaking less, compared to earlier models.

I don't think the shake is a reliable indicator. Try to get in there with a pry bar and see if you can find any play in the mounting points. The engine should be mounted tight, with no play at the mounting point itself, but the rubber part of the mount should be flexible enough to let the engine move.

85s have SOLID mounts..

regular engine mounts just like a mk1..

the LATE mk2s got the hydro engine mounts..

my 92 has hydro mounts all around..

my 86 has standard rubber mounts all around..

Reply #6October 30, 2012, 08:06:38 pm

maloosheck

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 08:06:38 pm »
1. they vibrate alot.. does it make your dash rattle? when you open your doors at idle, does stuff try and jump out of your door pockets?

Pretty much. The exhaust is shaking on the other side of the car. When I bought the car the rear muffler was off because the exhaust pipe cracked where there is a hose clamp and I am kind of concerned this might have been due to excess vibration. I had to replace most of the rubbers because they were falling apart and I am afraid the engine mounts might be shot too.

Fixmyvw.com