Author Topic: who's got a picture of oil drain line setup for an AAZ Vanagon  (Read 9377 times)

Reply #30June 18, 2013, 08:39:18 am

Gizmoman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    AAZ 1.9, HE 200 Turbo, 82 Vanagon, AAP 5 speed
Re: who's got a picture of oil drain line setup for an AAZ Vanagon
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2013, 08:39:18 am »
Here's my engine mount.

I've certainly seen better ones but in the end, it has to be designed with the drain line in mind.

As you may notice, I ended up using a banjo fitting and routing it back the other way. I simply didn't trust the pipe I had fabbed up (EDIT) besides, it hit the mount  ;D. The banjo fitting was a real pain and I had to modify it a bit on the lathe - made it thinner.

Even then, the only way to tighten it is with a punch and hammer ;D. Again, there are better ways to do this as libbydiesel can point out. Actually, I think Andrews copper line would work as long as it was short - just long enough to slide a hose over it and install a clamp.
Here's a clear shot of the modified #8 banjo fitting. I tig welded the steel hydraulic line which came off an old backhoe. So all you need is an old backhoe.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 09:03:16 am by Gizmoman »
Jim W - 82 Vanagon Westy - AAZ 1.9, Mild head port, Cummins Holset HE200WE turbo, Frozen Boost WAIC, 10" Charge-pipe intake, Ball bearing IM shaft, Giles Pump, 215/70R16, AAP 5 speed Trans. 22 lbs max boost

S-PAutomotive.com