Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: New to this Diesel stuff, is a VIN H 1.9 Turbo Diesel IDI or TDI??  (Read 6164 times)

October 22, 2012, 09:12:48 pm

rmcard

Came across a 1999 Jetta with a 1.9 Turbo Diesel and 5 speed, says it's a VIN H.  I want to put a mechanical IDI style in my 1980 Caddy I'm working on if one for the right price comes along. Too new to all this to really know what to look for.  Don't want to buy it if it's a later TDI style. I'll stick with the 1991 NA 1.6 I already have if I don't find an IDI.

Reply #1October 22, 2012, 09:30:27 pm

CRSMP5

Re: New to this Diesel stuff, is a VIN H 1.9 Turbo Diesel IDI or TDI??
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 09:30:27 pm »
vin h tells me nothing.... 99 you got a few choices...

up to 99.5 golf/jetta with ahu tdi... new bug +99.5 up has alh tdi..

why not go to tdi? ? get a rover pump or have a "m" pump built so it simple like idi.. but effecent like tdi.. i have a rover pumped tdi-m... no glow plugs needed till sub 20*f.. fastest diesel ive ever owned.. would easily hang with stock vr6.. one day ill play with fueling and bigger turbo to fix that.. just to piss them off.. and scare modded vr6...

Reply #2October 23, 2012, 03:20:14 am

bajacalal

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 03:20:14 am »
Where are you?

No 1.9 IDI cars were ever sold in the United States, but they were sold in Canada.

The TDIs are all going to be electronically controlled, but as mentioned building a mechanically injected TDI or "m-tdi" is a possibility, and there are various routes for going about doing this. I would do this if I were shopping for an engine. My opinion is that the TDI, that one in particular (AHU) is a better engine than the 1.6. When VW introduced the TDI, they had 20 years to improve upon the design of the IDI engine and its apparent issues.

IDI, by the way, refers to indirect injection and describes the way fuel is injected into the cylinder head by first passing through a "pre-chamber." Direct injection is just that, no pre-chamber, which requires a more advanced injector design to spray the fuel in a certain geometry. These are not VW specfic terms and apply to diesels in general, and it doesn't have anything to do with the injection pump itself, just the injectors. An engine can be mechanically controlled and directly injected.

Reply #3October 23, 2012, 07:42:27 pm

rmcard

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 07:42:27 pm »
Welllll, I put a downpayment on a sight unseen 1996 Jetta Turbodiesel that has a motor with a broken crank. Won't know if the engine is savable until I pick it up this weekend but if not at least I'll be part way there by getting a turbo 5 speed trans and what other parts might be salvageable.  Only paying $700 so it's not too big of a gamble ($550 plus title, taxes and transfer - it's from a used car dealer that just wants the hulk off his lot).

Granted with my tiny bit of knowledge me shooting from the hip in buying this I might get bit in the butt but I'm hoping getting a 1.9 Turbo fom a mk3 I'm hoping to have an easier time installing it all in my 1980 Rabbit pickup.  If it does turn out to use an electronic control unit to run I'll be looking into your suggestions for using a different or modified inection pump.

As far as having a broken crank the last engine I saw that had one was caused by having it's oil pickup tube drop into the oil pan and was starved for oil.  I was told that this engine had either a new or rebuilt turbocharger installed on it before it was to be put on the dealer lot and if there is oil lines going to it for cooling the repair may be the source of trouble and the engine might not be the only thing that was trashed.

Time (and disassembly) will tell.

I've attached pics sent to me from the dealer.  Oh, by the way this 96 is only an hour and a half away where the 99 was the engine only and was located near Toranto, Canada (I live in the western Detroit metro area)

My best scenerio will be next asking if anyone has an extra crank laying around that they're willing to part with.

Reply #4October 23, 2012, 07:54:26 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 07:54:26 pm »
Welllll, I put a downpayment on a sight unseen 1996 Jetta Turbodiesel that has a motor with a broken crank. Won't know if the engine is savable until I pick it up this weekend but if not at least I'll be part way there by getting a turbo 5 speed trans and what other parts might be salvageable.  Only paying $700 so it's not too big of a gamble ($550 plus title, taxes and transfer - it's from a used car dealer that just wants the hulk off his lot).

Granted with my tiny bit of knowledge me shooting from the hip in buying this I might get bit in the butt but I'm hoping getting a 1.9 Turbo fom a mk3 I'm hoping to have an easier time installing it all in my 1980 Rabbit pickup.  If it does turn out to use an electronic control unit to run I'll be looking into your suggestions for using a different or modified inection pump.

As far as having a broken crank the last engine I saw that had one was caused by having it's oil pickup tube drop into the oil pan and was starved for oil.  I was told that this engine had either a new or rebuilt turbocharger installed on it before it was to be put on the dealer lot and if there is oil lines going to it for cooling the repair may be the source of trouble and the engine might not be the only thing that was trashed.

Time (and disassembly) will tell.

I've attached pics sent to me from the dealer.  Oh, by the way this 96 is only an hour and a half away where the 99 was the engine only and was located near Toranto, Canada (I live in the western Detroit metro area)

My best scenerio will be next asking if anyone has an extra crank laying around that they're willing to part with.

thats a canadian jetta..

it DOES NOT have a broken crank..

it has crank sprocket wobble..

you fix it by broaching the crank, and installing a TDI crank sprocket..

THE CRANK IS MORE THAN LIKELY FINE..

the head probably has a bunch of bent valves tho, and the timing belt might even be broken..

its a common problem on these 1.9IDI engines, the crank sprocket wobbling, and finally, taking out the engine..

at a bar minimum, i would say you need to broach the crank, install the TDI sprocket, and pull the head to check the valves.. if they contacted the pistons AT ALL, i would replace ALL OF THEM, otherwise you could pull the head and find something like this:

so, its not a broken crank, its just as bad tho, if you ask me..

if it dropped a valve, it could have bent rods, cracked pistons, broken engine block, and other things as well..

i wish you the best of luck..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #5October 23, 2012, 08:12:34 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 08:12:34 pm »
Yeah, I would 2nd the notion that it isn't a broken crank. I am sure someone out there has a broken one, but the rest of the engine, and probably everything attached to it is broken too. Now a crank out of spec, different story, but clear broken I cannot see happening.
Good luck. I have 3 aaz crankshafts, 2 in engines and one out just in the rare case you needed one I may sell it.

Reply #6October 23, 2012, 08:45:01 pm

rmcard

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 08:45:01 pm »
It'll certainly be great if the engine can be saved, but now that I understand a little more about TDI's AND that they can be made mechanical that may have been the better choice.

Decoding this vehicles VIN I see that the 1996 Jetta was only rated in the low to mid 30's for mpg. I did see something pop up tho' somewhere that rated the motor as being around 100hp which will be nice.  I would imagine a TDI would by default have more power AND be more economical.  Someone did tell me that these 1.9's can have their injection pumps tuned to put out close to 140 hp without losing any economy but I don't know if he was talking about 1.9 IDI's or 1.9 TDI's.

I plan on giving the Caddy a couple extra inches of ground clearance so I can run taller tires (175/70 R14's that I have), between that, the trucks light weight and driving it gentle most of the time I was hoping to get somewhere in the mid to high 40's for mpg.

Reply #7October 23, 2012, 08:49:22 pm

rmcard

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 08:49:22 pm »
oh, forgot to ask one question... can any old engine machine shop usually do the broaching you refer to or do I need to find a specialty (and expensive) shop that specializes in these engines?

Reply #8October 23, 2012, 08:53:57 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 08:53:57 pm »
oh, forgot to ask one question... can any old engine machine shop usually do the broaching you refer to or do I need to find a specialty (and expensive) shop that specializes in these engines?

i would atleast find a shop that knows what they are doing...
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #9October 23, 2012, 08:55:02 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 08:55:02 pm »
Any shop can do the broaching. You can buy the tools to do it yourself even. However, the D shaped nose that you would be upgrading to is not flawless. A lot of the TDI guys are actually pinning their crank noses because the D shape started to fail. I recently was working on one that was starting to slip.

You'll be able to hit mid 40s with that engine in a caddy, probably without trying. Yes a TDI would get about 10% better fuel mileage but it's more money up front to get going.

Pull the valve cover and rotate the engine by hand to see if any lifters are stuck in their bores, or if the cam is snapped. Depending on when the crank nose let go (assuming it did) the damage can range from minor to pretty extreme.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 08:59:42 pm by burn_your_money »
Tyler

Reply #10October 23, 2012, 09:09:05 pm

rmcard

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 09:09:05 pm »
I figure if the engine is too far gone I at least have a usable trans, and shouldn't the trans work just as well for a TDI? There shouldn't really be any difference trans wise between the two types of engine.

And as far as horsepower, 100hp (+ some change, I think it was 102 or 103 hp actually) sound right for a 1996 IDI engine?

Reply #11October 23, 2012, 09:45:25 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 09:45:25 pm »
And as far as horsepower, 100hp (+ some change, I think it was 102 or 103 hp actually) sound right for a 1996 IDI engine?

Haha, yeah right. LOL. I hope you didn't mean stock numbers?

Try more like 74 bhp @ 4,200 rpm and 111 lbf·ft @ 2,000 rpm.

Reply #12October 23, 2012, 10:01:57 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 10:01:57 pm »
I think you are off 8v??? The 1.6L TD was 77hp wasn't it? I think that is in the bentley. Eco was 59 I think. I have no idea what it is but I think it should be around the 90hp mark as that is what the TDI's are, so probably a little lower...80something.

Reply #13October 23, 2012, 10:13:08 pm

rmcard

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 10:13:08 pm »
well 74 hp is better than the 55 hp I'd get if I use the NA 1.6 Diesel I have.  Just looked up the engine info on Wikipedia and confirmed your 74 HP.

You can dial the hp up a bit by adjusting the Injector Pump, right?

Reply #14October 23, 2012, 10:15:07 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 10:15:07 pm »
Yeah, you can hit 100 fairly easily with the AAZ. Mind you, you do have a K03 so you're limited as far as boost goes. Maybe 15 psi tops.
Tyler

Fixmyvw.com