Author Topic: !979 Rabbit Diesel Need help!  (Read 43172 times)

Reply #195November 27, 2012, 05:45:48 pm

vwroadkill

• Junior

Re: !979 Rabbit Diesel Need help!
« Reply #195 on: November 27, 2012, 05:45:48 pm »
have you bought floor pans yet???? I hope after spending all this time. you are going to buy some floor pans..
Dan
new owner of an 81 caddy diesel yipeeeee..vw gti vr6 and well most of gm's trucks

Reply #196November 27, 2012, 09:14:18 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #196 on: November 27, 2012, 09:14:18 pm »
have you bought floor pans yet???? I hope after spending all this time. you are going to buy some floor pans..
Dan

Use some self tapping screws and some thick sheet metal. Done. I've done it before! LMAO.

The throttle does nothing on your pump because it is full of air, from when you had the fuel lines disconnected. Also why its running ***ty.

Where is it leaking from on the injectors? the small lines in between? did you remove the lines when you did the swap?

Reply #197November 28, 2012, 05:54:26 pm

vw-tim

• Junior

« Reply #197 on: November 28, 2012, 05:54:26 pm »
Dan

Use some self tapping screws and some thick sheet metal. Done. I've done it before! LMAO.

The throttle does nothing on your pump because it is full of air, from when you had the fuel lines disconnected. Also why its running ***ty.

Where is it leaking from on the injectors? the small lines in between? did you remove the lines when you did the swap?

haha honestly i might say *** it and do the self tapping screws :P haha

so the injectors were bubbling up seems like with fuel i pulled them out and used teflon tape and replaced them and made sure they were all torqued down i havent started it up yet to see.

so if there is air in the fuel system then thats the reason for no throttle i did bleed the pump pulling fuel threw the return line. i might of not had the steel lines on tight enough i will check all of this soon and start it up again and see how she does.

Reply #198November 28, 2012, 06:20:53 pm

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #198 on: November 28, 2012, 06:20:53 pm »
No sealant of any kind is needed or desired within an inch of the injectors

Reply #199November 28, 2012, 08:39:38 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #199 on: November 28, 2012, 08:39:38 pm »
No tape on injectors, anti seize maybe a light coat but no tape.  Too hot, wrong application, this isn't a natural gas line here.  Sometimes pumps kind of hold and hide some air in them even after they start up and idle.  I see it when I tear apart the pump or really get it filled with air on the WVO side.  Yeah, when it is acting poorly.

If you watch the clear line on the return hose you will see these racing back to the mother ship of the fuel tank at times when you race it up.  Do that a few times after you get it warmed up.  Oh you don't have a clear line yet?  For Shame.

I wonder if the tape is going to cause you to have to re-torque these after a bit? 

Reply #200November 29, 2012, 01:24:01 am

vw-tim

• Junior

« Reply #200 on: November 29, 2012, 01:24:01 am »
No tape on injectors, anti seize maybe a light coat but no tape.  Too hot, wrong application, this isn't a natural gas line here.  Sometimes pumps kind of hold and hide some air in them even after they start up and idle.  I see it when I tear apart the pump or really get it filled with air on the WVO side.  Yeah, when it is acting poorly.

If you watch the clear line on the return hose you will see these racing back to the mother ship of the fuel tank at times when you race it up.  Do that a few times after you get it warmed up.  Oh you don't have a clear line yet?  For Shame.

I wonder if the tape is going to cause you to have to re-torque these after a bit? 

ha its just alittle tape on the threads but yeah i didnt really consider the heat and what it might do to it.. but eh im sure itll be alright :P whats the worse that could happen? and okay so even if it does start up i just gotta run it for alittle while and it should get all the air out and then idle for me?

also im kind of condisering picking up this clean gas shell the engine doesnt run on it and i was wondering about like when i got to register it am i going to have ot do smog and all that stuff on it because its registerd as a gas car? and if the fuel tank is good on it can i use it and put diesel into it after i drain all the gas out of it? or do i have to buy a new fuel tank for the diesel

Reply #201November 29, 2012, 04:20:52 am

745 turbogreasel

Reply #202November 29, 2012, 04:41:29 am

JamesT

• Junior

« Reply #202 on: November 29, 2012, 04:41:29 am »
http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_barresources/07_autorepair/engine_change_guidelines.html

That's California. In the sane world you go to the licensing bureau or wherever you register your vehicle,  notify them of the change, possibly pay a small paperwork fee, and that's it. If your area has some yearly emissions testing, the change in the registration will be noted and the vehicle will be tested as such. For a diesel, that usually means a simple exhaust-gas opacity test (ie. how visible the exhaust is, but analysed by a computer).

I used the tank from the gasser when I did my swap. I just cleaned it by washing it through a few times with diesel fuel. Mk1 filler necks are huge openings, so you won't have a problem filling with diesel nozzles. My fuel gauge reads a little less linearly, but that may have been my tweaking it accidentally when I re-installed it.
93 Golf - AAZ with some fueling
78 Rabbit - 1.5 DIESEL (finally)
[(+)===o===(+)]
 (++\==o==/++)

Reply #203November 29, 2012, 12:16:03 pm

vw-tim

• Junior

« Reply #203 on: November 29, 2012, 12:16:03 pm »
http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_barresources/07_autorepair/engine_change_guidelines.html

That's California. In the sane world you go to the licensing bureau or wherever you register your vehicle,  notify them of the change, possibly pay a small paperwork fee, and that's it. If your area has some yearly emissions testing, the change in the registration will be noted and the vehicle will be tested as such. For a diesel, that usually means a simple exhaust-gas opacity test (ie. how visible the exhaust is, but analysed by a computer).

I used the tank from the gasser when I did my swap. I just cleaned it by washing it through a few times with diesel fuel. Mk1 filler necks are huge openings, so you won't have a problem filling with diesel nozzles. My fuel gauge reads a little less linearly, but that may have been my tweaking it accidentally when I re-installed it.

good deal thanks man that makes me feel better about doing this swap then if i did pick up a gasser.

Reply #204December 04, 2012, 06:03:05 pm

vw-tim

• Junior

« Reply #204 on: December 04, 2012, 06:03:05 pm »
Okay so heres a video of the engine running it wont idle is there still air in the system? could it be because the IP is not in time? i dont have the gauge to get it in time yet.

tons of white smoke. and also when i went to turn off the motor i have the IP Stop Fuel Solenoid on a wire connected to the positive i unplugged it and the engine wouldnt turn off i then un did the negative and it still wouldnt turn off. ended up dieing after not giving it more fuel. what could that be from?

Reply #205December 04, 2012, 06:13:43 pm

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
« Reply #205 on: December 04, 2012, 06:13:43 pm »
Hard to pin it down until you are in the ballpark, timing with a gauge. The lever having no effect and the failure to stop is strange.

A clear line from the out-bolt will tell if air is still in the IP.

Reply #206December 04, 2012, 06:48:00 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #206 on: December 04, 2012, 06:48:00 pm »
Is there a spring in that solenoid or not?  Seems to get fuel past it somehow.  Got something stuck in there producing a gap? 

Reply #207December 04, 2012, 08:18:39 pm

vw-tim

• Junior

« Reply #207 on: December 04, 2012, 08:18:39 pm »
Is there a spring in that solenoid or not?  Seems to get fuel past it somehow.  Got something stuck in there producing a gap? 

thats what i was kind of thinking i do have another IP im thinking about hooking it up and seeing how the stop fuel solenoid works on it compared to this one. maybe this solenoid is just open all the time like stuck does that happen?

Reply #208December 04, 2012, 09:53:42 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #208 on: December 04, 2012, 09:53:42 pm »
Oh, yeah it does.  They wear a bit and maybe it is just hung up.  Get a big wrench on it and pop it a good one to free it up.  Check it with jumper wires across the battery when you go to put it back in.  It should pull up and hold the plunger up until you take the voltage off it.  Careful there is a spring inside the plunger that is supposed to push it closed at that time.  So don't lose them small parts.

Reply #209December 05, 2012, 06:01:10 am

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #209 on: December 05, 2012, 06:01:10 am »
My bigger  Husky saw idles just like that ;D

Try 1 more spline on your throttle shaft in the apply throttle moves it further direction.

Fixmyvw.com