Author Topic: IC on NA?  (Read 8970 times)

Reply #45June 23, 2012, 08:02:31 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
Re: IC on NA?
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2012, 08:02:31 pm »
your connections are nowheres near air tight. when you put your hand over the air intake snorkel, it should KILL the engine, not register a small 5" vacuum..

the engine is barely sucking air thru the intercooler, its just sucking air thru all the leaks.

please dont get mad, im just pointing out whats wrong.

you dont have hose clamps anywhere, just parts set together..

and another thing that i dont think anyone has mentioned, is that when wind (intake air) has enough velocity, the temps DROP..

think wind chill factor.. i think that the air rushing past the probe may cool the probe to a lower temp than ambient..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #46June 24, 2012, 11:13:37 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2012, 11:13:37 am »
Well. I have more questions. What did I do wrong?

I don't understand what you are asking.  Did you expect different results than what was shown in your video?

Reply #47June 26, 2012, 11:58:44 pm

79rabbit4dr

« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2012, 11:58:44 pm »
I don't understand what you are asking.  Did you expect different results than what was shown in your video?

I have expected, from the beginning, that an IC on a NA would yield little to no benefits. From what you guys have said, it should have proven to be a "huge restriction." But I haven't seen that happen.
I put the boost pressure sensor back in (simply to plug an open hole), clamped the hose on the intake and tried again, same results.
I pulled the IC back off and held my hand as tight as I could over the intake for 20 seconds or so and got 10inHg (I am at 5,000' btw) and that was nearly collapsing the intake tube at its oval point and it still ran fine.
Aren't these engines capable of sucking air and/or fuel from everywhere to keep running?
Would someone else please check vacuum in their intake with hand over the intake. Does your engine stall/die?
I know diesels don't normally have vacuum in the intake. I'm wondering if I have an intake leak and that is what is throwing this off.

Reply #48June 27, 2012, 01:31:15 am

81 vw pu

« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2012, 01:31:15 am »
Aren't these engines capable of sucking air and/or fuel from everywhere to keep running?
Would someone else please check vacuum in their intake with hand over the intake. Does your engine stall/die?
I know diesels don't normally have vacuum in the intake. I'm wondering if I have an intake leak and that is what is throwing this off.
Please DO NOT attempt to choke off the air supply on a diesel engine with your HAND or any other part of your body.
You can collapse a 55 gal drum with less than 15" of vacuum. Many years ago I put my hand over the intake of a Isuzu pup 2.2 diesel to see
how much air it was inhaling at idle. The engine never died, but the idle dropped way down. I thought I was going to lose some skin on that one.
As mentioned earlier I would imagine there is some air coming in around the plastic filter housing, snorkel and possibly the rings when you cover the intake tube.

Reply #49June 27, 2012, 01:26:11 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2012, 01:26:11 pm »
my engine DIES when i put my hand over the intake. but then again, im turbo'd, and i have a much different intake setup.. but my engine trys to pull the skin off my hand, and then shortly there after, dies..

i imagine if i had the crank case vent hooked up, it wouldnt die, just about tho.. might even start sucking oil and run away..

thats another thing to think about dude. what if that cooler is a big enough restriction? and you are running it, and you give it throttle, and it starts sucking the crank case dry...
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Fixmyvw.com